Our best ever utility player | Page 2 | Vital Football

Our best ever utility player

Bootsie, Weatherly and Saunders. In any order you like. I can't separate them. Everytime I think I've got it sorted I change my mind.

You could add Max Ehmer to that list.
That man could play any position and not let the team down.

Probably true. But he doesn’t does he? He’s filled in and gone up top for corners. But not in the Weatherley mould. Picked as a striker, picked as a midfielder and picked as a centre half.

Regarding Bootsie. Did he actually ever play as a midfielder or striker? I still thought he was purely a full back.

Regarding Bootsie. Did he actually ever play as a midfielder or striker? I still thought he was purely a full back.[/QUOTE]

Yes he did. I can't give you details of the game, but I'm sure he played as a makeshift striker in one and scored twice! (Or did he score in consecutive matches? Can't remember - too long ago). He also played in in midfield occasionally, but right back was his main position. One of my main memories of Bootsie is that his legs got redder and redder as the match progressed - especially in cold weather!

Last edited:
Regarding Bootsie. Did he actually ever play as a midfielder or striker? I still thought he was purely a full back.

Yes he did. I can't give you details of the game, but I'm sure he played as a makeshift striker in one and scored twice! (Or did he score in consecutive matches? Can't remember - too long ago). He also played in in midfield occasionally, but right back was his main position. One of my main memories of Bootsie is that his legs got redder and redder as the match progressed - especially in cold weather![/QUOTE]
I also remember that he had a bit of a 'girlie' running style.

Mark Weatherly 457 appearances 46 goals (surprised it wasn't more) .

I can't comment on Bootsie as before my time but I would definitely think Weatherly contributed more effectively to the "utility" role than some of the others mentioned

For this season it’s probably Alfie Jones. Came here as a centre back, played the majority of the season in the midfield holding role, forcing the likes of Cisse out of the club.

I watched Gills v Sheffield Wed yesterday.
Our first goal was Saunders who came on as sub as the most forward midfielder 👍
Second was Thommo header
Third a screamer from Trigger
Happy days in the RE 😁

I watched Gills v Sheffield Wed yesterday.
Our first goal was Saunders who came on as sub as the most forward midfielder 👍
Second was Thommo header
Third a screamer from Trigger
Happy days in the RE 😁
A good sign of a good team, goals throughout the side.