Other PL Games - 20/21 | Page 40 | Vital Football

Other PL Games - 20/21

Everything you need to know as UEFA confirm the name of their new third-tier European competition
UEFA hope the Europa Conference League will offer more teams a chance to compete in Europe.

Get the latest North East news and updates delivered straight to your inbox
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Your information will be used in accordance with ourPrivacy Notice.
A third European club competition announced by UEFA will be called the Europa Conference League.

Launching in 2021, the new competition will act as a third tier to the UEFA Champions League and the Europa League, designed to offer "more clubs in more countries a chance to participate in European football”.

Clubs will qualify through domestic placements, just like the two other well-established competitions.

With the news that the Europa League is set to cut down the number of teams involved from 64 to 32 each year, this new tournament offers teams the opportunity to still play European football.

In reality, though, the same number of teams will have access to European glory due to the reduction in the size of the Europa League but an extra tournament should allow for more competitive matches and more glory for the smaller European clubs.

The chance to play is one most clubs dream of, likewise for their supporters who get the chance to travel the globe representing their club.

So, how will the Europa Conference League work? Here are all the key details you need to know.
Why has the Europa Conference League been introduced?

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin says that the tournament has been formed because of the "widespread demand" for more accessible European football for smaller teams, from less traditionally successful nations.

“The new UEFA club competition makes UEFA's club competitions more inclusive than ever before," he said on Tuesday.

“There will be more matches for more clubs, with more associations represented in the group stages. This competition was borne out of ongoing dialogue with clubs through the European Club Association (ECA).

“There was a widespread demand by all clubs to increase their chances of participating more regularly in European competition. This has been achieved with a strategic approach and in accordance with UEFA's objective of having both more quality and more inclusivity in our club competitions.”
Who can qualify from the Premier League?

0_Chelsea-v-Manchester-City-Carabao-Cup-Final-Wembley-Stadium.jpg

Manchester City Captain Vincent Kompany (centre) and his team mates celebrate winning the Carabao Cup Final at Wembley Stadium, London. (Image: PA)
The winner of the Carabao Cup will enter the Europa Conference League in England, or, if like most years, it is won by a club already competing in Europe, the team who finishes seventh in the Premier League will be awarded that place.

So, to put this into a practical example, given Manchester City won last season's FA Cup, it would be Wolves, who finished seventh, that would have been entered into the Europa Conference League this season, rather than the Europa League.

Only the teams that finish fifth and sixth, last year Arsenal and Manchester United, will go straight into the Europa League, as of 2021.

When will the games be played and what is the format?

The format of the tournament will see 32 teams enter the Group Stages into eight groups of four. The top two teams will then progress through to the round of 16, quarter-final, semi-final and then the final.

Europa Conference League matches will take place on a Thursday, just like the Europa League.

The plan is for their games to be earlier kick-offs, although this will be dictated by broadcasters closer to the time.
Does this affect the Champions League or the Europa League?

The new third-tier tournament will have absolutely no bearing on the Champions League but the Europa League will be affected.

Simply copying the format of the Champions League, teams that finish third in their Europa League group will drown down into the Europa Conference League, as we see today.

Similarly, the winners of the Europa Conference League will earn a guaranteed spot in the Europa League, just as the winners of the Europa League do for Europe's elite competition.

Even if we won it, the competition is that shit nobody outside desperate spurs fans would call it a trophy.

It's like getting knocked out of the League Cup 1st round and entering the EFL trophy.

It's that desperate, it's that shit.

LMFAO

Even if we won it, the competition is that shit nobody outside desperate spurs fans would call it a trophy.

It's like getting knocked out of the League Cup 1st round and entering the EFL trophy.

It's that desperate, it's that shit.

LMFAO

You worry far too much what other fans think, couldn't give a toss what others would call it.

I want silverware and if we won it, I'd welcome it.

For me, there has to be merit to be any value in winning something. I'd need to see the calibre of the teams and how the competition pans out before deciding. As it stands right now it looks a bit of a Mickey Mouse cup but I'm happy to wait and see.

For me, there has to be merit to be any value in winning something. I'd need to see the calibre of the teams and how the competition pans out before deciding. As it stands right now it looks a bit of a Mickey Mouse cup but I'm happy to wait and see.

Can't see how/why it will be - UEFAhave cut the number of teams in the CL, and so they will drop into the Europa (probably) and so the teams taht would have gone into the Europa will be in this one - suspect there will be some big names in it, just as there can be in the Europa.

If I'm right, there is no reason for us to turn our noses up at it - we're not European winners of anything and so can't see why some are being so dismissive of it!

Can't see how/why it will be - UEFAhave cut the number of teams in the CL, and so they will drop into the Europa (probably) and so the teams taht would have gone into the Europa will be in this one - suspect there will be some big names in it, just as there can be in the Europa.

If I'm right, there is no reason for us to turn our noses up at it - we're not European winners of anything and so can't see why some are being so dismissive of it!

I'm sure we won't be the only club of note if we end up in it. In which case winning it is not a foregone conclusion. So why deride a cup we may not be good enough to win ?

Even by Uefa's blurb it's a competition which will be largely populated by teams not good enough for the Europa. So I can't imagine there will be more than a handful of teams of decent quality and it won't be until the business end of the competition that it comes to life.

But anyway, let's take care of our own business and win our last two games to get into the Europa, and let West Ham be the guinea pigs for the Conference's inaugural season.

Have to start somewhere...we have done NOTHING and I repeat NOTHING to say we have a God given right to anything. We need to start winning things...I don't care what it is...and start climbing our way back into the equation.

You worry far too much what other fans think, couldn't give a toss what others would call it.

I want silverware and if we won it, I'd welcome it.

Like it or not football is all about reputation ex.

In the real world I really don't care but in sports it's all about the glory.

But there has to be some sort of standard.

No top player or manager will have any interest in this piss pot competition and you are deluding yourself if you think they will.

The players struggle getting motivated for the Europa.

I'm sure our sponsors will be gleaming with excitement.

But there has to be some sort of standard.

No top player or manager will have any interest in this piss pot competition and you are deluding yourself if you think they will.

The players struggle getting motivated for the Europa.

I'm sure our sponsors will be gleaming with excitement.

They didn't struggle to get motivated at all, Jose struggled to set us up properly and his brand of football is always open to a shock by a team who had nothing to lose.

Jose got us an early exit.

They didn't struggle to get motivated at all, Jose struggled to set us up properly and his brand of football is always open to a shock by a team who had nothing to lose.

No doubt about Jose's role in our exit but I've always felt that as a club we've taken the Europa League too lightly. We've had managers and players alike stick their noses up at it. God knows where the sense of superiority comes from because it's not as though the trophy cabinet is bulging with silverware.

No doubt about Jose's role in our exit but I've always felt that as a club we've taken the Europa League too lightly. We've had managers and players alike stick their noses up at it. God knows where the sense of superiority comes from because it's not as though the trophy cabinet is bulging with silverware.

Unquestionably some truth in that - hence why I don't believe we can look down our noses at any competition; winning has to begin somewhere and frankly I don't care where it starts, but it has to start!

May be Karma!

Leicester won the PL with our defeat at Chelsea, in what was a heated affair.

They could now miss out of top 4 after that defeat in another brawl-laden game, losing 2-1.

No one team is guanteed a place at the top of the table. That is what makes the Premier League the most difficult & exciting competition in world football. Still didn't stop the ****tards from trying to ruin it.

Ex we have struggled in the Europa league for years. This is not a new thing.