other marital options | Vital Football

other marital options

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
V

Villan Of The North

Given the general support for homosexual marriage expressed by the majority on this site, I was wondering what the general attitude was toward other form of "alternative" marriage.

In the spirit of the thread, I propose that plural marriage be recognised and full rights of adoption be extended to polygamist families. My proposal allows any man or woman to marry as many of the opposite sex as they so wish. For the sake of my argument I am assuming that it is consentual for all parties involved and all are over 18 years old.

What do you think? Feel free to add any other forms of marriage that you can construct a reasonable argument for, please argue all you can against the proposals if you genuinely have a problem with them

I'd have no problem with that. Malaysian Muslims can have up to 4 wives. Most choose to marry only once, or perhaps just one at a time. Divorce is very common here.

I believe it was Freakonomics that concluded that polygamy is generally bad for men. The young women end up being second or third wives of older men because they have more money leaving a lot of unmarried young men.

If my second and third wives can be Kelly Brook and Rosie from page 3 respectively I'm in

There are some very good reasons why man should not take several wives. For a start imagine the nagging!!

Villan Of The North - 8/2/2013 20:50

Given the general support for homosexual marriage expressed by the majority on this site, I was wondering what the general attitude was toward other form of "alternative" marriage.

In the spirit of the thread, I propose that plural marriage be recognised and full rights of adoption be extended to polygamist families. My proposal allows any man or woman to marry as many of the opposite sex as they so wish. For the sake of my argument I am assuming that it is consentual for all parties involved and all are over 18 years old.

What do you think? Feel free to add any other forms of marriage that you can construct a reasonable argument for, please argue all you can against the proposals if you genuinely have a problem with them

If you look at our closest relatives in the Animal Kingdom, Polygamy is our natural state. It could be argued that the forced Monogamy from the early Church teachings is against Nature.

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 9/2/2013 14:11

Villan Of The North - 8/2/2013 20:50

If you look at our closest relatives in the Animal Kingdom, Polygamy is our natural state. It could be argued that the forced Monogamy from the early Church teachings is against Nature.

Which way though, multiple wives or multiple husbands, either, or or both

It's almost exclusively Multiple "Wives", certainly in the Ape and Monkey families. Even here though, you have the Bonobo's who practice free love within their group and then Gorilla's where the dominant male is the only one able to procreate.

People bandy the word "natural" around without really understanding the consequences.

One interesting symptom of Polygamy is the large number of Men without Partners. These Bachelors have been shown to be disruptive and violent. Maybe that is why society chose the Monogamy route?

Im with wurz on this, ok having loads of sex off 3 or 4 wives would be great don't get me wrong, but holy jeebies the nagging and cost would be too much for me tbh

HeathfieldRoad1874 - 9/2/2013 13:23

It's almost exclusively Multiple "Wives", certainly in the Ape and Monkey families. Even here though, you have the Bonobo's who practice free love within their group and then Gorilla's where the dominant male is the only one able to procreate.

People bandy the word "natural" around without really understanding the consequences.

One interesting symptom of Polygamy is the large number of Men without Partners. These Bachelors have been shown to be disruptive and violent. Maybe that is why society chose the Monogamy route?

Many other species mate with one partner for life.

People can be extremely condescending without really understanding the consequences.

Jonah - very, very few species are truly Monogamous. Yes, there are life pairings, but these usually involve both partners cheating on each other. even the famous example of Swans is untrue. DNA has show that 1 in 6 young are from a different father than the lifetime partner.

The fat-tailed dwarf lemur. The Malagasy giant jumping rat. These are monogamous, but you've got to look in the nooks and crannies to find them. Like so many other animals, human beings aren't really that monogamous. Better to say, we're monogamish.

Does anyone think that multiple husbands would be a good idea?

I've never heard of a society which practices this.

BodyButter - 9/2/2013 18:55

I saw an episode of Michael Pailin travelling in the Himalayas (sp?) where he found a society practicing this type of marriage. It seemed to work for them but the guys looked just as hen pecked as any husband I've ever seen so the concept of safety in numbers seems to fail in the case of matriarchal plural marriage.

Villan Of The North - 10/2/2013 03:20

I saw an episode of Michael Pailin travelling in the Himalayas (sp?) where he found a society practicing this type of marriage. It seemed to work for them but the guys looked just as hen pecked as any husband I've ever seen so the concept of safety in numbers seems to fail in the case of matriarchal plural marriage.

Was that the one where she was married to a whole load of brothers some of which were primary school kids?

ClivetheVillan - 9/2/2013 18:25

Im with wurz on this, ok having loads of sex off 3 or 4 wives would be great don't get me wrong, but holy jeebies the nagging and cost would be too much for me tbh

:10: And that also means 3 or 4 Mother in Laws....... must be bloody masochists.....Lol

:14:

Blooooody hell.

I can't find one women willing to take me, now I have to look for more?

I'm off!

:21:

I think anybody can marry whoever or whatever they want, but the state should not enforce one way or the other by law without consulting the public.

That was actually my original point of the gay marriage vote thread.

I remember the Jerry Springer show in the 90's and a guy came on who reckoned he was married to his horse:

Oh dear! Maybe not the best time to bring horses into the equation. Find-us ah

BodyButter - 9/2/2013 19:23

Villan Of The North - 10/2/2013 03:20

Was that the one where she was married to a whole load of brothers some of which were primary school kids?

I don't think so but it was quite a while ago that I saw it so......