Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2 | Page 710 | Vital Football

Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2

Why is that? I don't understand the Liverpool hate as they are not our rivals. I am not from England, is there something I am not aware of?

For me it is also the fact that every kid when I was young supported either Liverpool or Man Utd. Used to do my head in.

I may be a little slow on the uptake here , but I need some clarity.

Have Liverpool actually won the league ? Only I can't see any evidence of this on the news on the T.V or radio.

For me it is also the fact that every kid when I was young supported either Liverpool or Man Utd. Used to do my head in.

Never happened when I was a kid you got taken to see a local team, thankfully my uncle was a Villa fan.
Kids grow up these day bombarded by the media and their bias, toward winning clubs, so kid picks one. They don't actually support those team they just follow their results on TV. They spend their childhood never going to a game of football.
Odd exceptions are of course possible

I am from India, and here cricket is the number 1 sport and by comparison even though football is the 2nd most loved sport here, there is still a massive difference between the number of purely football and purely cricket fans. Those that support clubs from Europe here choose from among the best of clubs such Barca, Real Madrid etc. however as for choosing their favourite club in England goes, then an overwhelming number of them are United fans.

Never happened when I was a kid you got taken to see a local team, thankfully my uncle was a Villa fan.
Kids grow up these day bombarded by the media and their bias, toward winning clubs, so kid picks one. They don't actually support those team they just follow their results on TV. They spend their childhood never going to a game of football.
Odd exceptions are of course possible
Yes but the problem is, or at least when I was a kid, that just because they’ve never been to a game in their life doesn’t stop them from thinking they know everything about football, when typically they know fuck all, or that their decision to support a more successful club makes their views more important than anyone else.

I always think you can tell a lot about someone by what team they support and in what circumstances, someone from down south / midlands supporting Liverpool or Man U... immediate tosser 90% of the time.

I am from India, and here cricket is the number 1 sport and by comparison even though football is the 2nd most loved sport here, there is still a massive difference between the number of purely football and purely cricket fans. Those that support clubs from Europe here choose from among the best of clubs such Barca, Real Madrid etc. however as for choosing their favourite club in England goes, then an overwhelming number of them are United fans.
Can I ask if your from India how come you support villa? Could be an interesting story...?

I think there’s a difference between supporting a successful foreign side as a “second team” or whatever, but when there’s a team on your doorstep and you choose a team on the other side of the country instead because they are more successful then, as I said in my last post, it tells a lot about their personality as it’s not usually because they “play good football” it’s usually just because they want to say they’ve won.

Can I ask if your from India how come you support villa? Could be an interesting story...?

I think there’s a difference between supporting a successful foreign side as a “second team” or whatever, but when there’s a team on your doorstep and you choose a team on the other side of the country instead because they are more successful then, as I said in my last post, it tells a lot about their personality as it’s not usually because they “play good football” it’s usually just because they want to say they’ve won.

It began in 1998, as until then I did not have access to any other channel on my TV besides national channels which were few and far between. I started watching football after my father subscribed to a service that would allow us access to other channels as well. I liked football and cricket and hence started watching football on sports channels not knowing that there existed something called club football as up until that point football for me I thought was only played between countries and within countries until under-23s.

I was glad to know that I did not have to wait until the World cups or Euros etc to see competitive football, and it all began with the premier league. I watched as many games as I could and liked many teams initially until once I spoke to an Englishman while playing online chess and asked him if he liked football and watched the premier league, he said he was from Leeds and so supported them, and when he asked me about who I supported, I gave him a host of club's names that I liked. That's when he said, that is not called supporting, you can support only one club, and later on I chose Villa because I liked Joachim, his partnership with Dion Dublin, our colours, and the club's name.

I do get a lot of surprised looks when I tell people I support Villa as that is not what they expect to hear in India when they ask fellow football fans on who they support. Get a few sneers as well !

It's not new. Rangers and Celtic have always had a wide following in both Scotland and Northern Ireland, depending on which side of the religious divide you come from. To some extent the same applies to Liverpool and Everton.

‘30 years of hurt’ I’ve just seen on the BBC, also seen it elsewhere this morning, Jesus wept 🤦🏻‍♂️ 2x CL, 1 UEFA Cup, 3 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 3 Super Cups and 1 Club World Cup. Must’ve been a painful 30 years that! 🙄