Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2 | Page 4 | Vital Football

Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2

JW85 - 24/12/2017 07:05

Bikini Inspector - 23/12/2017 22:02

Get Monk in here. We need a next generation manager not a washed up one.

From what I've seen and heard from Swansea, Leeds and Middlesbrough fans Monk is basically a young Steve Bruce.

Monk wishes he was a young Steve Bruce. I'd be surprised if he got another job.

I think he really fucked up leaving Leeds. My uncle is a Leeds fan and would have been happy for him to stay but wasn't exactly devastated that he'd gone.

Anytime I've heard or read Swansea fans talking about him he's the one they blame for starting their slide towards what looks like relegation this season. Apparently he was the main voice in the dressing room agitating for Laudrup to go then over the course of his reign he changed their style from the passing style that had served them well to a more cautious, long ball or counter attack style where they relied on just a couple of stars to win them games. Now they've no stars left and they are fucked.

Villan57 - 24/12/2017 10:33

Sheffield Wednesday manager gone now

He did a pretty good job for a couple of years but it shows that its hard to compete consistently at the top of this league. You have to take your chance to get promotion when it comes else you'll stagnate.

I wonder if it's ever happened before when 2 teams play each other and both managers get sacked after the game.

Didn't we play Tottenham when it happened, or was it that it happened the day before.

Actually, thinking about it, I think it was the latter.

I remember Gerry Francis being caretaker for Spurs and the bloke called Barron being caretaker for us at White Hart Lane - probbaly when Atkinson went.

So, TWO more managers to add to the list of potential Bruce successors. It's Christmas :4:

Monk is OK. No he wasn't the one agitating for Laudrup to get the sack at Swansea. That was down to Jenkins pure and simple. Under Laudrup Swans did pretty well to get as far as they did in the Champions League; Jenkins wanted him to forget about it and concentrate on the PL. Add to that Laudrup having his own ideas on signings the previous summer, which Jenkins didn't like. Swans current problem is that the squad is now too poor for the PL. Monk succeeded at Leeds where a procession of previous managers didn't. Monk took relegated Middlesborough and has brought them back to being just 3 points behind us. I'm not sure he'd be right for us but I'd certainly stick him on the list. I'd stick Laudrup on the list as well.

Astonishing decision to sack him.

Staggering that people are seeing Gary Monk as the answer.

Three clubs in three years and that doesnt ring alarm bells?. Careful what you wish for.

Melon Donkey - 24/12/2017 23:12

Three clubs in three years and that doesnt ring alarm bells?. Careful what you wish for.

Yep. He's just been booted out of Boro. How the hell would he do a job here?

These are the same fans who are screaming for experienced first team players to be replaced en masse by kids that they have never seen play before.

BodyButter - 24/12/2017 04:55

I'd be surprised if he got another job.

Never understood the basis of this type of comment he clearly has some ability because he has had Swansea and Leeds playing well for periods of time.

A lot of these managers need to be starting at much smaller teams and building. Theres a lot of clubs like Leeds who probably need more patience as well.

And while it should go without saying, I don't want Gary Monk as manager.

Melon Donkey - 24/12/2017 14:12

Exactly he's got less experience than Paul Lambert had and already failed at 3 clubs just what we don't want .

The Sheffield Wednesday bloke at least got them to the playoffs twice .
we'll just have to wait for Mourinho now he's said he's a Villan

:15:

CDX_EIRE - 24/12/2017 23:46

BodyButter - 24/12/2017 04:55

I'd be surprised if he got another job.

Never understood the basis of this type of comment he clearly has some ability because he has had Swansea and Leeds playing well for periods of time.

A lot of these managers need to be starting at much smaller teams and building. Theres a lot of clubs like Leeds who probably need more patience as well.

And while it should go without saying, I don't want Gary Monk as manager.

Three jobs, three big fails. Perhaps you are right, perhaps he just needs a more patient chairman but it seems to me that when the rot sets in, he doesn't know how to turn it around. For me, that's the test of a manager. DOL seemed like a rabbit in the headlights when things started going wrong. MON always managed to stop the rot very quickly. It remains to be seen if Bruce can get us back on the front foot.

Has Monk really got that bad a record? He has 50%+ win ratio at Leeds and even Boro, Swansea wasn't as impressive though he took them to 8th.

As a young British manager I would like to think he has potential, I think it's sad that any half decent manager on this Island seems to be fluent in Spanish. For me, he should've proven himself at Leeds a bit longer but must've either had cold feet at Elland Road or saw the money signs at Boro.

I've been impressed with Monk teams I've seen play at VP, he must have a pretty good record against us. Obviously there is more to base it on that the one season per year where his away team plays us at home but he must do some things right.

Yes we should hire Monk, Carvalhal as his assistant and while we’re at it we can bring in Pulis to be Director of Football.
Right, did that cover all the recently sacked managers who are better than that “dinosaur” Bruce and his terrible staff?

Just watching Chris Packet drifting around the pitch for Feyenoord. His touch hasn't improved.

McParlandTheGreat - 24/12/2017 13:42

Under Laudrup Swans did pretty well to get as far as they did in the Champions League;

Swansea were in the Champions League? I must have been on another planet that season! When was that McP?

JuanPabloAngel - 24/12/2017 19:36

McParlandTheGreat - 24/12/2017 13:42

Under Laudrup Swans did pretty well to get as far as they did in the Champions League;

Swansea were in the Champions League? I must have been on another planet that season! When was that McP?

Whoops! Europa League 2013-2014. First and only time they were in Europe. Got through the 3rd qualifying round, and the play-off round, qualified for the final 32 by coming 2nd in Group A of the group stages, knocked out by Napoli in the final 32. Had some cracking wins before that.

Laudrup reckoned it was important for the fans to savour the once-in-a lifetime experience. Jenkins didn't.

For the record, Monk left Leeds, wasn't sacked; had an option for a second year and didn't take it. Obviously didn't like the setup under the Italian bod.

Can't for the life of me see why he was sacked from Boro. 3 points behind us after only a few months in charge, and dealing with the relegation fall-out. Maybe with stars like Gestede on the bench it was thought he should be ripping it up.