OT........Rail fare shake up | Page 2 | Vital Football

OT........Rail fare shake up

OVO. An acronym guaranteed to raise hackles in the Soul World. Original Vinyl Only. A term thought up by and enforced by the Soul Police, a self appointed vigilante group who get on everybody else's nerves trying to dictate which release of which record you may play at a gig because they have decided that the whole scene should be OVO. All other legitimate releases are deemed to be the great unwashed. Not as bad as illegal bootlegs but in the same ball park.

There is a group of Soulies who want just rare and underplayed music played to keep the scene "pure and on the edge" and old c lassics are frowned upon. Some rare and underplayed stuff is that for a reason...... ;)

For me it's all about the music and dancing. I play originals, in the main but I have no aversion to legitimate reissues and play them happily.

Sorry for going off topic but it wasn't me who mentioned OVO and I have a suspicion rA had a totally different acronym in mind :)
Is that split anywhere near along the pro/anti Ian Levine one? Maybe it was just a local thing, but I've seen fights started over IL

Is that split anywhere near along the pro/anti Ian Levine one? Maybe it was just a local thing, but I've seen fights started over IL

One lad started his OVO gigs up in Burton 2 years ago. He was just a bit OTT. He had camera focussed on the decks and the video up on a screen. That was so everybody could see exactly what the DJ was playing. Anybody seen playing a reissue or a boot was immediately stopped and never invited back. He also accused several other local events of playing bootlegs. I have known the organsiers for up to 50 years and they don't play boots. I advised the lad to stop his barrage of "bootleg" jibes as he was leaving himself wide open to Libel and defamation charges that could cost him more than he has, resulting in bankruptcy. His response? He blocked me.

A DJ friend of mine who DJs at and visits both OVO and non-OVO gigs asked on FB "why OVO?". Lots of people explained WHAT it is but nobody could come up with WHY? They also got right ratty when Steve and I both pointed out that they weren't answering the question he had asked...... :)

OVO is a subject that rears its ugly head 2 or 3 times a month on FB and places like Soul Source...... not heard of fisticuffs over it but it does certainly raise temperatures.

Shouldn't it really be about the music?

Let's have a few more acronyms please Mr OVO DJ FB! I know what a DJ is, I now understand OVO but what is FB?

Shouldn't it really be about the music?

Yes it should. For me it always is, so I respect folk who treasure their vinyl as an asset and a means of listening, but getting all Gestapo about it is daft

I don't particularly approve of bootlegs because they are basically theft, but over the years I've been involved in the rock'n'roll community, I've realised that repatriating the nickles and dimes due on bootleg discs to the original artistes etc is so difficult its pointless, and the bootleggers are hardly making a fortune out of it.

OVO is a subject that rears its ugly head 2 or 3 times a month on FB and places like Soul Source...... not heard of fisticuffs over it but it does certainly raise temperatures.
In rock'n'roll the subject is 'what is real rock'n'roll' which rears its ugly head weekly! God I've read some crap on that subject

I know I mentioned OVO Energy...but how the hell did we go from Rail Fares and re-nationalisation to two blokes discussing Soul and bootlegs?
Second day running a thread has been totally hijacked and, for once, Basie can’t be blamed this time.
All in favour of OT music threads but start your own boys...eh. :off:

I know I mentioned OVO Energy...but how the hell did we go from Rail Fares and re-nationalisation to two blokes discussing Soul and bootlegs?
Second day running a thread has been totally hijacked and, for once, Basie can’t be blamed this time.
All in favour of OT music threads but start your own boys...eh. :off:
Pot-kettle-black, what's OVO got to do with rail fairs? At least we went off-topic in style

Pot-kettle-black, what's OVO got to do with rail fairs? At least we went off-topic in style

Actually we got from rail fares to OVO via your post 10, Andy. Kettle passes back to pot?

But, and I've said it before in a far away place, when you soul boys get going threads die as, for better or worse, only the two of you know anything about it or like it.

Whereas Ovaltine.....

Actually we got from rail fares to OVO via your post 10, Andy. Kettle passes back to pot?

But, and I've said it before in a far away place, when you soul boys get going threads die as, for better or worse, only the two of you know anything about it or like it.

Whereas Ovaltine.....
I think #3 started it - its a bit like Keogh and Davies passing endlessly across the back line.

About this change of tack posts get now and again. Isn't that exactly what happens in real life conversations? Why shouldn't it happen on a thread in a forum?

I agree, I like the way posts drift randomly for this very reason.

Imagine, down the pub one evening, chatting about that afternoon's match over a friendly game of darts, and someone draws you attention to a particularly fine pair of breasts attached to a newly arrived drinker. Are you going to say "keep on subject, lad, in the 37th minute I reckon Jerome were offside"? No, although you might somment that Denis had been putting on a bit of weight lately.

And then, for some bizarre reason you might start to discuss the recent rail fare changes between Hinckley and Rochdale, which would bring us back to square one.

About this change of tack posts get now and again. Isn't that exactly what happens in real life conversations? Why shouldn't it happen on a thread in a forum?

Yeah right...remind me of those words when you get start a thread on great soul bands you’ve seen and someone takes over with a discussion about how much the train fare is to get there and which station you changed at. ;)

I agree, I like the way posts drift randomly for this very reason.

Imagine, down the pub one evening, chatting about that afternoon's match over a friendly game of darts, and someone draws you attention to a particularly fine pair of breasts attached to a newly arrived drinker. Are you going to say "keep on subject, lad, in the 37th minute I reckon Jerome were offside"? No, although you might somment that Denis had been putting on a bit of weight lately.
That tickled me!:lol:

I shall now resume lurking.

Back on subject, my admittedly small sample of train users suggests that the service is somewhere between 'great' and 'all right', and that prices are 'comparable' with the alternatives. The main gripe was the West Midlands Trains first class which is 'like something off The Great Escape'. So is the unrest about trains a regional thing? My sample is between Derby, Notts or Birmingham and Birmingham or London, planned ahead

When I fly into Brum for a game, we land at about 10 to 9, get to the station about 10 past and then have to wait for the 09:34 (the first off peak train). 20 quid return. A reasonable price IMO.

Latest Rams News