OT Obituary | Page 2 | Vital Football

OT Obituary

Changing times. When I look at pictures of my parents and grandparents in their 30s and 40s and then at myself now in my 60s, they look so much older than I do now despite my thinning mop and "senior blonde" hair. It's not only appearance though. It's also attitude. That I would play 11 a side football to 53 and indoor 5 a side to 59 would be looked down on as plain daft.... or worse. That I would start going to nighters again at 60 and start DJing again at 61 would be seen as plain lunacy...... act yer bloody age lad they would say. My retort would be "why should I vegetate in my armchair when I can still do and enjoy so much more?".

Changing times. When I look at pictures of my parents and grandparents in their 30s and 40s and then at myself now in my 60s, they look so much older than I do now despite my thinning mop and "senior blonde" hair. It's not only appearance though. It's also attitude. That I would play 11 a side football to 53 and indoor 5 a side to 59 would be looked down on as plain daft.... or worse. That I would start going to nighters again at 60 and start DJing again at 61 would be seen as plain lunacy...... act yer bloody age lad they would say. My retort would be "why should I vegetate in my armchair when I can still do and enjoy so much more?".

At least it is quiet & you can think about things in your armchair & not be battered by decibels & burps. Then when you've done that you can go for a jog, take the dog a walk or even closer to home spend time in the garden. My Grandad always said that the most important things in life is your family, food in your belly & a roof over your head, something which is becoming ever much harder to achieve.

I feel much the same MA...think we’re the same age and I was playing football into my fifties at about the same age my dad was having a new hip, only to die - an accidental death - when he was seven years younger, but seemingly a lifetime older, than I am now.
Don’t do the dj ing or the ‘nighters’ but I still go to gigs - sometimes with my daughter and occasionally with my youngest son - doesn’t feel odd but would have been totally out of the question as something to ever share with my own parents.
There’s a couple of guys I go walking with, one’s just turned seventy and the other is ten years older than me...both remain fit - mentally and physically - so that’s encouraging.
It’s all, imo, about quality of life...so long as we have that then, as you say, ‘keep on keepin’ on.’ Once that’s gone though...switch me off please...there’s no longer any point and that is something society needs a really grown up debate about. Quality v longevity...I’ll have a bit of both please - preferably - but I’ll pass on the longevity without the former. I think DW felt the same thing but it’s sad that he got there at just 62.

Last edited:
So farewell then,
ramAnag
or is it Anagram

I never know

Anyway you
Aren't
dead yet

So I will hold off completing the obit

At least it is quiet & you can think about things in your armchair & not be battered by decibels & burps. Then when you've done that you can go for a jog, take the dog a walk or even closer to home spend time in the garden. My Grandad always said that the most important things in life is your family, food in your belly & a roof over your head, something which is becoming ever much harder to achieve.

Family - Check
food in belly - check
roof over head - check
outside interests to keep me alive keeping the faith and spreading it - check
hate gardening - check
jogging bad idea due to arthritic knees - check
not taking a red seriously - check ;)

I feel much the same MA...think we’re the same age and I was playing football into my fifties at about the same age my dad was having a new hip, only to die - an accidental death - when he was seven years younger, but seemingly a lifetime older, than I am now.
Don’t do the dj ing or the ‘nighters’ but I still go to gigs - sometimes with my daughter and occasionally with my youngest son - doesn’t feel odd but would have been totally out of the question as something to ever share with my own parents.
There’s a couple of guys I go walking with, one’s just turned seventy and the other is ten years older than me...both remain fit - mentally and physically - so that’s encouraging.
It’s all, imo, about quality of life...so long as we have that then, as you say, ‘keep on keepin’ on.’ Once that’s gone though...switch me off please...there’s no longer any point and that is something society needs a really grown up debate about. Quality v longevity...I’ll have a bit of both please - preferably - but I’ll pass on the longevity without the former. I think DW felt the same thing but it’s sad that he got there at just 62.

64 years young here rA

So, Farewell then
Tim Bergling

A man whose
Stage name totalled
108 in Roman
Numerals

Congratulations on
Avoiding the
27 Club

But only just

COD not yet released but he has had so many problems. Gall bladder removed. Several organ failures. Too much too young. Pushed his body to the limits and beyond jetsetting everywhere to do nightly mega gigs all over the place. RIP Avicii

Willow? The Royal Corgi? Died earlier in the week aged 15 (135). RIDP.

:wagging: Inquest please!!! where did you get 135 from? They usually say that a dog is 7 years to our 1 which would make Willow 98 in normal dog years as it died aged 14(human years) but dog breeds differ. A welsh corgi age in dog years is just over 5 to our 1. PS I have to much time on my hands! :wahey:

I lay down before your outstanding logic. I thought corgis were one of the breeds you increased the multiplier on, not reduced it.

Latest Rams News