But
Unlike Imelda Marcos
She preferred
Matches with them

Not shoes

E Jarvis Thribb

Well this is a white man would say.
According to the Black South Africans.

Yes Winnie was no saint. Yes she did some terrible things. But who was the bigger culprit?
It was a war out there.
While never to condone what she allegedly did, in a war, there had to be casualties on both sides. And the side who suffered the most were forced to take certain measures.

I dunno, I always preferred ray over Robbo. Those 3, him, Robson and Coppell, man that was something.
Obviously United fans will tend to rate Robbo over Ray, but who do you think was the better player? I felt it was Ray.

..... and now Eric Bristow, the Crafty Cockney.

I never could work out how you could play darts in a crafty way, always struck me as being a very open and up front scoring system! he snuck a crafty 9 in there? Nope, makes no sense

..... and now Eric Bristow, the Crafty Cockney.

I never could work out how you could play darts in a crafty way, always struck me as being a very open and up front scoring system! he snuck a crafty 9 in there? Nope, makes no sense

Fair point...think you probably deserve an award for introducing a thread with the least likely combination of people ever. Never before, or again, is a thread likely to share such diverse subjects as Winnie Mandela, Wilkins and Briscow.

I had the pleasure of playing for a few pubs and clubs in my younger days until 'dartitis' took over!! Whether that was the ale consumption or what I'm not sure, but I always advised the marker to stand well clear!! I well remember the snap after the matches especially the fritter sarnies!! Oh misspent youth, where are thou??
RiP Eric.

I never worked out how you could play the game when you were half p*****, I can't throw a dart sober
There a happy medium. You start off ropey, have a couple of beers and relax and start to play well. A couple more and you are a world beater. Sooner or later you start on the slippery slope and you are back to being crap.

I was quite into darts circa 1995-1997. Became rather okay at it.
Quite fun too, all the preparations, ie: finding a darts set that suits you. Sorry I forget the terminology now, You had to find the metal part that's just right for you, the wings (I think we called it flights) and the plastic you had to screw on. Then all the additional stuff. Could be quite a few bob too, if you wanted a good set.
I wasn't very good, but could hold my own against average or slightly good players.
1 thing I never got the hang of, was the 20. I preferred the 19. It was lower and easier to hit for me. So no 180 for me but 171.
Fun to play especially with a few beers and sometimes Scotch.

Bristow was a legend as was Taylor who recently retired.

Again, showing my age, it was John Lowe for me. He set the standard that Bristow and Taylor carried to the highest level. Despite their rivalry Lowe and Bristow were big mates and drinking buddies. Great memories.

I used to be handy with the old arrers. Played for the Swan Hotel in Burton from 1971 (aged 17) for 4 or 5 seasons. 4 League titles (summer league and winter league) and a few Cup wins in that time. Since my 2014 cycling accident in which I demolished the ball joint at the top of my right arm I can no longer even get the arm into the right position to throw a dart properly. Never did better than a 10 darter and that just the once and missed the only shot I ever had at a niner.

Move forward to the late 70s and I was captain of the Union Inn. We had one game, the lad on the last leg had to win as it was even stevens going into that game, and he had never, ever hit a 180. Not even just in the pub, never mind in a game. He is on 178, his opponent mid 200s. One decent score, set up a finish and we win the match. By now you will have guessed what happend. Treble 20, treble 20........ I knew what he was going to do. The 2nd treble landed and his eyes glazed over. I shouted 18 for tops........ but by the time I had uttered "ay" and before I could get the "teen" out, the dart was on its way. Before it hit the board he shouted NOOOOOO, but yes, a 3rd treble. The only one he had ever hit............... and he bust. His opponent hit a ton 40 and then finished on just over a ton in his next throw.... we lost the game 4-3.

RIP Eric. You showed us how it should be done. Thanks.

So farewell then
Dale Winton

Gone to that great
Supermarket
In the Sky

When you are at
The check-in counter
And you hear the beep

Just think of
The fun you will have
Going wild
In heaven's aisles