Opinion: Give Silva more time! | Vital Football

Opinion: Give Silva more time!

By Paul Conatzer

Twitter: @Toffeepaul.com

If you had the power, would you fire Marco Silva? If you look at how Everton have performed since losing the Merseyside Derby, you might well be tempted to call him a taxi. Especially on the back of the 3-1 home loss to Wolves on Saturday.

However, if you look back to the match reports of that December day. Everton were praised for their boldness and willingness to go forward. It looked like things were starting to look up for the Blues.

Instead of building on that performance, Everton’s form and confidence plummeted. Sometimes, I think there was some curse placed on Everton for leaving Anfield over a rent dispute.

Anyway, Everton have only won three of their last 12 Premier League contests. As well as getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Millwall on three set piece goals. Marco Silva is a proponent of zonal marking. But, it’s getting increasingly obvious Everton defenders can’t seem to grasp the concept of marking.

I know that shortcoming is easy to pin on Silva and he must take some blame. But, he’s dealing with a team that has had three managers in the last two years and yes, it’s the players’ job to play football. I can’t help but think, there must be some remnants of confusion because of the quick changes in playing styles.

Silva also inherited a team that lacks balance. The Ronald Koeman/Steve Young combination failed. Their biggest error was failing to find a replacement for Romelu Lukaku. Bringing Wayne Rooney back has Bill Kenwright written all over it. Most of the duo’s other moves were just odd or haven’t really worked out. Maybe Davy Klaassen should have been give more time, but where? It was hard enough to fit Rooney and Gylfi Sigurdsson into the team.

With Everton stumbling, Sam Allardyce was bought in and Everton ended up in eighth-place by playing a mind-numbing, boring style that made Everton fans wish for a return to the swashbuckling days of David Moyes.

Cue the arrival of Silva and Marcel Brands, the new director of football. Brand did bring in a solid group of players, including Lucas Digne, who has shown signs of being a capable replacement for the aging Leighton Baines and Richarilson, who is Everton’s leading scorer with 11 goals.

Richarlison is best suited playing out wide and that is another example of Everton’s lack of balance. The Blues have so many players, whose best position is on the wing it seems like Goodison Park has become a sanctuary for them. So, Everton’s squad is still too big, despite having 14 players out on loan.

It seems likely that a Top 10 finish is the best Everton fans can hope for and while that is difficult to deal with, especially with Liverpool on the hunt for the Premier League title. It’s not the end of the world, it only seems like it. While many were screaming for Everton to make a move in the January window, the Blues made the best move by keeping Idrissa Gana Gueye.

They should keep Silva, too and give him and Brands another transfer window to sort out the squad.

Quality musings there Paul. And I agree with you in this one. Everyone these days is in a hurry, too knee jerk, too trigger-happy. Give the guy time. If we aren't 'best of the rest' by Christmas then start asking questions.... if we are pushing the 'top 6' then I hope we have the resource available to try to break into those Champions League places for the 2020 campaign.