Opening day league fixture. | Vital Football

Opening day league fixture.

CarerKate

Vital Reserves Team
I realise we will find out shortly and the suspenders are killing us, but who would you like and home or away?

Grimsby away for a nice summer trip up there (and I prefer the season to end at home).

Every year I make the same comment.

I don’t care about the fixture list. Why do people get so excited about the day that fixtures are released?!? I know we’ll play around 20 teams twice once at home and once away. Not remotely bothered about the order we beat them in.

There’s some people on Twitter who have some strange fascination about shirt numbers. We sign a player and their first question is: what shirt number will he have? I don’t fucking care…. …it’ll probably be a number greater than zero and less than 100. It makes no difference to me or any normal person.

Same with season tickets. Why do people keep asking when season tickets will be posted? As long as you get it before the first home game of the season, what’s the big deal? Why do you all need to know?

Returning to the question, I’d like Stevenage at home. 😃

I’ve not done Barrow, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Mansfield, Newport, Salford or Sutton so I’d rather them be on Saturdays. Maybe towards the end of the season too when the rail strikes burn out?

Every year I make the same comment.

I don’t care about the fixture list. Why do people get so excited about the day that fixtures are released?!? I know we’ll play around 20 teams twice once at home and once away. Not remotely bothered about the order we beat them in.

There’s some people on Twitter who have some strange fascination about shirt numbers. We sign a player and their first question is: what shirt number will he have? I don’t fucking care…. …it’ll probably be a number greater than zero and less than 100. It makes no difference to me or any normal person.

Same with season tickets. Why do people keep asking when season tickets will be posted? As long as you get it before the first home game of the season, what’s the big deal? Why do you all need to know?

Returning to the question, I’d like Stevenage at home. 😃

It helps ratchet up the excitement for a new season. And people like to plan their lives. "I have an uncle who lives near Barrow i can visit him in November" sort of thing.

Also many people will only go or can only go to a limited number of games and it is more of an event then to base your season round, they might live away for instance and want to know when the gills are playing locally so they can avoid booking anything else for those weekends.

Just because some people like order and structure in their lives doesnt mean there's something wrong with them. It's not hurting anyone wanting to know who will have shirt number 27 next season.

In the absence of new signings the identity of our first opponents becomes gripping. I'm looking forward to watching fringe players play pointless friendlies already. I'm not a great lover of order in general but the table, the fixture list and shirt numbering demand it. I'm cool with that and it doesn't prevent me regularly getting the wrong end of the stick and inventing my own explanatory narratives.

In the absence of new signings the identity of our first opponents becomes gripping. I'm looking forward to watching fringe players play pointless friendlies already. I'm not a great lover of order in general but the table, the fixture list and shirt numbering demand it. I'm cool with that and it doesn't prevent me regularly getting the wrong end of the stick and inventing my own explanatory narratives.

Agree with this. I didn't expect a flurry of early signings and certainly didn't expect to be excited about the players who came in, but even for Scally, who does like to act late in the transfer market pre-season, often to the hindrance of his manager trying to putting together a team and our start to the season. However, even by his standards, the lack of activity for a team with a handful of players left from last season (at least several of whom the manager has said he wants rid of), the lack of transfer/signing activity so far is uninspiring and surprising - starting training with barely an XI of first teamers, several key positions (including a keeper) lacking with a friendly just 10 days away seems flawed.

Given this, the fixture list release is something to provide at least a modicum of interest for some of us. Casting an eye down our opponents, it is pretty uninspiring, but I look forward to seeing when we play the Swine (home and away); I look forward to pinpointing some of the teams I have never seen before - Sutton, Salford, Barrow and Harrogate; and am keeping an eye out for possible away days - a non-league ground in Sutton where I've not been and isn't far away is attractive, I've not been to the new Wombles ground, so that could be one to tick off and I hope for a midweek game away v the O's as it's just around the corner from where I work. Also, the return of Mr Evans and possibly some old players will be very interesting! Clutching at straws maybe, but it's something to keep us going!

I look forward to the fixtures coming out. Are we home or away first game/last game. Am I missing any games due to holiday. These things matter. Who/where are we playing Boxing Day. When are we playing Sunderland, Ipswich, Charlton. Oh wait, damn!

Always look foward to the fixture Release. A bit less glamours this year but just as exited. Tend to try to get over for 4 games a season and it’s good to plan. I’ll be looking for crawly away as it’s handy for Gatwick, Harrogate away for family connections and I reckon home to orient and swindon as be a good atmosphere. No doubt it will pan out completely different but who cares, I’ll be pouring over the fixture for the next week or two!

Always look foward to the fixture Release. A bit less glamours this year but just as exited. Tend to try to get over for 4 games a season and it’s good to plan.QUOTE]

From whence, if I may ask? I’m hoping the opportunity for a northern tour presents based on friends in Stockport.

One thing is for sure, our first fixture will be away, as I'm on holiday the second weekend and I (and my family I've bought season tickets for) will therefore miss our first home game.

If by some miracle our first game is at home, our first away game will be a game I would have definitely gone to (Wimbledon,Stevenage, Sutton, Orient etc).

Strongly agree with those who anticipate the fixture list. It fleshes out "this" season, rather than the nebulous concept of "next" season. Every signing, kit release, fixture list etc adds flesh to the skeleton. And who doesn't love to start to pencil in away days etc?!

UTG

Just hope we will have enough players to at least fulfill an opening day fixture!

Not panicking yet of course.