Only in America... | Page 10 | Vital Football

Only in America...

New York's law keeping cops disciplinary details secret in trials due to be repealed. Unfortunately repealing it has other consequences. Perhaps the law needs to be a tad more nuanced? From a lawyer..

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2020/06/10/new-yorks-notorious-50-a-repealed/

This bit strikes me as interesting:
He’s got a point, even though I don’t like it. Having spent decades fighting for change, lawyers like me have accomplished little to nothing. We’ve had plenty of blue ribbon committees recommending smart and sustainable reforms, but they rarely happened. The groundswell of protests has done what we’ve been unable to do all these years, accomplishing overnight what “gradual reform” was unable to accomplish.

But radical change tends to be mindless, dumb, extreme and, ultimately, unsustainable because it not only corrects systemic failings, but takes down everything around it as well. The problem is that when we sought gradual reform, it went nowhere. Pols ignored us while depositing their police union donations and cops went on being cops. I’m no fan of mobs. I’m no fan of misguided radical change.

But then, Civil Rights Law 50-a is now repealed, not because of guys like me but because of the protesters, the public shift against police and the police intransigence against nuanced and smart reform. If they don’t like what’s happening now, they should have cooperated in making smarter, more gradual change happened when they had the chance. They brought this on themselves.

New York's law keeping cops disciplinary details secret in trials due to be repealed. Unfortunately repealing it has other consequences. Perhaps the law needs to be a tad more nuanced? From a lawyer..

https://blog.simplejustice.us/2020/06/10/new-yorks-notorious-50-a-repealed/

This bit strikes me as interesting:
He’s got a point, even though I don’t like it. Having spent decades fighting for change, lawyers like me have accomplished little to nothing. We’ve had plenty of blue ribbon committees recommending smart and sustainable reforms, but they rarely happened. The groundswell of protests has done what we’ve been unable to do all these years, accomplishing overnight what “gradual reform” was unable to accomplish.

But radical change tends to be mindless, dumb, extreme and, ultimately, unsustainable because it not only corrects systemic failings, but takes down everything around it as well. The problem is that when we sought gradual reform, it went nowhere. Pols ignored us while depositing their police union donations and cops went on being cops. I’m no fan of mobs. I’m no fan of misguided radical change.

But then, Civil Rights Law 50-a is now repealed, not because of guys like me but because of the protesters, the public shift against police and the police intransigence against nuanced and smart reform. If they don’t like what’s happening now, they should have cooperated in making smarter, more gradual change happened when they had the chance. They brought this on themselves.

Exactly the point I have been making all along.

That Statue being pulled down in Bristol was very significant to me and I welcomed it .Its time that the history of our nation is exposed and as a lie and rewritten . The British ruling classes thrived on slavery and subjugation. The glory of the British Empire is a myth. We subjugated nations , caused untold death ,famine and misery and stripped each Nations assets and took away their freedom .Most of these counties were the birth places of the forefathers, grandparents and Parents of BAME British citizens. Britain, we are told became the richest Nation in the world due to its Empire .Did our Forefathers see this wealth? No , as is still the case the wealth was not equally distributed and the general population of Britain lived in abject poverty whilst the young men took the Kings shilling to become cannon fodder .These impoverished and uneducated young men fought, killed and died in foreign fields to preserve the Empire and its wealth for royalty and ruling classes .Yet we have been brain washed for generations that we as a Nation as a result of having an Empire are superior to the rest of the world. There is no mention of the social injustices and poverty in our own Nation or the people from the Nations we subjugated. We are taught that these Nations we were reliant on British rule and would descend into chaos if we left . These Nations were inferior and their citizens were ridiculed .No wonder when the first immigrants arrived to our shores post war they were met with such intolerance and racism. Another example .At the onset of the second world war we are taught that Britain bravely stood alone against Nazi oppression to preserve and uphold freedom whilst the rest of the world stood by .Nonsense .Russia and its massive contribution has been air brushed out of modern History. Other Nations apart from USA don't even get a mention . However our hands were as dirty as Hilters .When the United Kingdom declared war on Nazi Germany it possessed numerous crown colonies, protectorates and the Indian Empire. It also maintained unique political ties to four semi-independent DominionsAustralia, Canada, South Africa, and New Zealand as part of the Commonwealth. In 1939 the British Empire was a global power, with political and economic control of 25% of the world's population, and 30% of its land mass. Following the end of the second world War Britain reclaimed lost Nations and territories .An example is Malay. Malay was part of the British Empire until it became part of the Japanese Empire only to return to British rule when the war ended.As a Nation it is understandable that Malay like others sought independence from British oppression . Beginning the onset of National empowerment within the Empire and the resolve of the Fore fathers of many BAME British Citizens to gain freedom . So let them statues roll I say and lets get our story straight or we can never have equality in this Nation.

Here here :clap: .... did you compose this yourself OG, if not its a damn fine copy & paste.

Robert Mulligan - slave trader statue has been removed today in London, and Columbus's head in Boston, MA has gone too ..... I'm hearing rumblings that the demonstrators are going after Churchill bigtime at the weekend so get your popcorn out.

Fox news. Yeah, where do you start? Although some posters on here probably prefer them to the BBC and the Guardian.

That is absolutely ridiculous. They can say what they like about that experience "not representing their values" but the fact is that their actions say it all. Shameful.

This is what sub-conscious racism looks like, I would like to put money on the fact that all 3 of those people did not consciously act in a racist manner but all 3 exposed their assumptions and prejudices with their individual acts.