Only in America... | Page 5 | Vital Football

Only in America...

And if it was happening in China (again), Trump would be first on his soap box (or Twitter account)

Trump gets law enforcement, including park rangers (hint: these aren't the guys who chased yogi bear around) to charge and tear gas protesters so he can walk to a nearby church for a photo opportunity
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-52876499

Australian press hit with rubber bullets and cameraman punched. Australia not happy

PM Scott Morrison has spoken to US President Donal Trump after an Australian TV crew was allegedly assaulted by police in Washington, reports say.

Mr Morrison has also asked the Washington embassy to investigate the incident.

Channel 7's US correspondent Amelia Brace and cameraman Tim Myers were attacked while covering Monday's protest outside the White House.

Police used tear gas to disperse the protests, leading to a stampede of sorts as the crowds fled - and that's when the attack appears to have occurred.

Trump gets law enforcement, including park rangers (hint: these aren't the guys who chased yogi bear around) to charge and tear gas protesters so he can walk to a nearby church for a photo opportunity

Australian press hit with rubber bullets and cameraman punched. Australia not happy

PM Scott Morrison has spoken to US President Donal Trump after an Australian TV crew was allegedly assaulted by police in Washington, reports say.

Mr Morrison has also asked the Washington embassy to investigate the incident.

Channel 7's US correspondent Amelia Brace and cameraman Tim Myers were attacked while covering Monday's protest outside the White House.

Police used tear gas to disperse the protests, leading to a stampede of sorts as the crowds fled - and that's when the attack appears to have occurred.

There was an interview with Adam Gray, a British photojournalist in New York, on Today this morning. who was charged with Unlawful Assembly, despite wearing all his press credentials
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000jmsb

Hard to watch

What I don't get is that black officers are assaulting black people along with their white colleagues

Well the probable punishment for not joining in is being ostracised, treated as "unreliable" and eventually transferred as a "trouble maker"

Ironically, I've read 2 articles in today's paper talking about the world's free democracies uniting to provide a more effective alternative to the UN, and in a coordinated defence policy towards China.

Hard to reconcile 'the Land of the Free' as a key member of those groupings with what's currently happening there.

Particularly as their imbecile of a president cynically visits a church and stands in front of it with a Bible, playing to the alt right electors he'll need to rely on come November, despite showing no evidence himself of ever having a religious conviction and plenty to suggest the opposite. And lets not mention the peaceful protestors tear-gassed out of the way beforehand hey, Mr President?

Anyone who thinks that having a "democracy" is a guarantee of their rights needs to read some history and/or have their head examined.

Most Western democracies - and especially the US and UK at the moment - are effectively elected dictatorships.

Ironically, I've read 2 articles in today's paper talking about the world's free democracies uniting to provide a more effective alternative to the UN, and in a coordinated defence policy towards China.

Hard to reconcile 'the Land of the Free' as a key member of those groupings with what's currently happening there.

Particularly as their imbecile of a president cynically visits a church and stands in front of it with a Bible, playing to the alt right electors he'll need to rely on come November, despite showing no evidence himself of ever having a religious conviction and plenty to suggest the opposite. And lets not mention the peaceful protestors tear-gassed out of the way beforehand hey, Mr President?

In addition, members of the church and priests on the patio in front of the church,which was an established aid point, were driven off with officers using shields so that he could have his photo opportunity.

Hell even Nixon went outside and talked to the protesters at the height of the Vietnam protests.

When Fascism comes to the US, it will be called Americanism...

Make America Great Again.

Oh, the fucking irony.

The situation in America is that there effectively two philosophies living side by side, one moderate/left of centre (probably slightly to the right of our politics) and the other very right, and a small swing in elections can determine the the leader on a 51/49 vote. They've ended up with that idiot because they were fed up with the establishment/choices they had - and some think he's great..... (says a lot about those on the right)

We've ended up wit an idiot because people "wanted brexit done", and the incumbent PM decided to have an election and lose her majority, and so failed to deliver the will of the people (not my will, by the way), and the the opposition offered an alternative, but less competent (however that is possible) idiot

What is all this crap about Antifa? Is that a way of Trump just labelling literally every opponent antifa and arresting them as a terrorist? I'm not aware of some huge Antifa group with clear leaders. Not surprised to see the right in the States lapping it up.

What a mess. Wouldn't surprise me if some of this grim bait from Trump makes him more popular in November. Not that Biden is a silver bullet, but it's got to be better than this.

What is all this crap about Antifa? Is that a way of Trump just labelling literally every opponent antifa and arresting them as a terrorist? I'm not aware of some huge Antifa group with clear leaders. Not surprised to see the right in the States lapping it up.

What a mess. Wouldn't surprise me if some of this grim bait from Trump makes him more popular in November. Not that Biden is a silver bullet, but it's got to be better than this.

Antifa are someone Trump can blame. Even though he's a right-winger of the worst kind who no doubt thinks "everyone should take responsibility", like all those of his ilk there's nothing he likes better than blaming other groups of people for his - and his government's - failures.

In irony so thick you could stick a pitchfork in it and call it "a heap of irony", Mike Pompeo meets today with? Drumroll please...

The survivors of Tianamen Square..

One assumes they mean the protesters and not the thousands of troops who gunned down their own civilians, but with this administration one can never really actually be sure...

We've ended up wit an idiot because people "wanted brexit done", and the incumbent PM decided to have an election and lose her majority, and so failed to deliver the will of the people (not my will, by the way), and the the opposition offered an alternative, but less competent (however that is possible) idiot

Great summarisation stokeimp, that gets right to the heart of the matter in one sentence.:rofl:

In irony so thick you could stick a pitchfork in it and call it "a heap of irony", Mike Pompeo meets today with? Drumroll please...

The survivors of Tianamen Square..

One assumes they mean the protesters and not the thousands of troops who gunned down their own civilians, but with this administration one can never really actually be sure...

I mean, trump is on record praising China's 'show of strength' in dealing with Tianamen square. No, really.

"When the students poured into Tiananmen Square, the Chinese government almost blew it. Then they were vicious, they were horrible, but they put it down with strength," Trump replied. "

"That shows you the power of strength. Our country is right now perceived as weak...as being spit on by the rest of the world."

And here we are.

When has anyone ever regarded the USA as being "weak", for goodness sake?

I mean, a rogue nation and bad actor on the international stage, yes. But "weak"?