Only in America... | Page 47 | Vital Football

Only in America...

The constitution guarantees one person, one vote. It does not say "as long as they have a passport".

I'm also fairly confident the constitution didn't say "as long as they're alive"

Meanwhile in the UK, we have a system that can and does stand up to scrutiny. There is absolutely no valid reason to impose a potential barrier to eligibility: there is no evidence of widespread voter fraud, or even minor voter fraud, and there is no practical reason nor need to insist on ID when a voting registration card has been sufficient for every election in the more than 100 years that we have had universal suffrage. We've had driving licences and passports for all of that time. They're not new technology. Why are they now suddenly needed to ensure democracy?

Talking of the UK, I'm in a position with trust, whereby I could quite simply manipulate the voting by proxy or by post of three other people should I choose to and I really wouldn't fear being caught under the current arrangements. Wow one person, four votes.

I put my replies to the bits that were of interest to me, in italics within the body of your original post. It's ok I can understand how you missed them.

Germany demonstrates an alternative way of dealing with a police unit shot through with right wing extremists. No idea if this will work but it cannot be denied that the attempt is a serious one to eradicate it.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-frankfurt-police-unit-to-be-disbanded-over-far-right-chats/a-57840014
It's not a new idea. The Hampshire Serious Organised Crime Unit were taken down after there was a tip off 'in force' which led to the Professional Standards Dept. bugging their office. Five were sacked for homophobic, sexist and racist language. The UK police take the issues seriously.

A junior/new member of the team was allowed to remain in the police having had a final warning. I wouldn't be surprised if 'they' were the informant and the 'final warning' was the cover for having raised the concerns.

It's not a new idea. The Hampshire Serious Organised Crime Unit were taken down after there was a tip off 'in force' which led to the Professional Standards Dept. bugging their office. Five were sacked for homophobic, sexist and racist language. The UK police take the issues seriously.

A junior/new member of the team was allowed to remain in the police having had a final warning. I wouldn't be surprised if 'they' were the informant and the 'final warning' was the cover for having raised the concerns.

No but it's a comparison to America, where at least a portion of the police are rooted in right wing extremism, as the thread title indicates...

No but it's a comparison to America, where at least a portion of the police are rooted in right wing extremism, as the thread title indicates...

This weekend I caught up with a friend who is a retired LAPD officer after 30 years on the force.

I asked him about how he thinks about his retirement and career and he said he barely things about the work he used to do. He really detested it and said there was a culture of corruption where police protected each other and wrapped themselves up in toxic right-wing politics.

He himself is a Democrat and reasonably progressive and said he was ostracized for years because of it. God knows how he managed 30 years in that career, but he ended up working as part of the police horse unit, so I guess animals were better company.

I know another retired LAPD sergeant, and while not as angry about his experiences, he describes a similar organization filled with corruption.

This weekend I caught up with a friend who is a retired LAPD officer after 30 years on the force.

I asked him about how he thinks about his retirement and career and he said he barely things about the work he used to do. He really detested it and said there was a culture of corruption where police protected each other and wrapped themselves up in toxic right-wing politics.

He himself is a Democrat and reasonably progressive and said he was ostracized for years because of it. God knows how he managed 30 years in that career, but he ended up working as part of the police horse unit, so I guess animals were better company.

I know another retired LAPD sergeant, and while not as angry about his experiences, he describes a similar organization filled with corruption.
I am pleased for your friends that they were not collateral damage for simply doing their jobs in the 'race war' that has been ignited stateside.

The officer in the mounted section would no doubt have been on the front line of that if he was still serving within the last 18 months or so.

I am pleased for your friends that they were not collateral damage for simply doing their jobs in the 'race war' that has been ignited stateside.

The officer in the mounted section would no doubt have been on the front line of that if he was still serving within the last 18 months or so.

My friend used to offer deescalation training as part of his work. His colleagues were not receptive to it.

Sadly, too often the escalation begins with the police. I have witnessed this first hand myself.

Maybe I am woke or something, but disappointingly had to use the ignore button for the first time today on hulloutpost for his joking in regards to Dementia on this thread, I do wonder if he/she would make the same joke in regards to cancer. I can tell them for sure Dementia is not a joking matter. If this means I'm woke then I am happy

Maybe I am woke or something, but disappointingly had to use the ignore button for the first time today on hulloutpost for his joking in regards to Dementia on this thread, I do wonder if he/she would make the same joke in regards to cancer. I can tell them for sure Dementia is not a joking matter. If this means I'm woke then I am happy

Welcome to the club. Hulloutpost is a dick.

He works in an old persons' care home.

It's not just America (but we knew that):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ief-censured-for-hampering-corruption-inquiry

"Cressida Dick, the commissioner of the Metropolitan police, has been personally censured for hampering an inquiry into police corruption in the long-running Daniel Morgan murder case.

The report of an independent panel inquiring into his death in 1987 found that the Met was “institutionally corrupt” in its handling of the case and accused the force of placing concerns about its reputation above properly investigating. It said the Met misled the public and Morgan’s grieving family."

It's not just America (but we knew that):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ief-censured-for-hampering-corruption-inquiry

"Cressida Dick, the commissioner of the Metropolitan police, has been personally censured for hampering an inquiry into police corruption in the long-running Daniel Morgan murder case.

The report of an independent panel inquiring into his death in 1987 found that the Met was “institutionally corrupt” in its handling of the case and accused the force of placing concerns about its reputation above properly investigating. It said the Met misled the public and Morgan’s grieving family."

Cressida Dick's shot up the ranks after ordering the unlawful killing of Brazilian man John Charles de Menezes in front of commuters because he looked a bit Muslim.

She presided over the fallout of Operation Midland, which prosecuted politicians, military officers and heads of security on evidence obtained from a fantasist who was later convicted of perjury.

In general business, she has mooted the first armed foot patrols, backed the racist stop and search policy, backed facial recognition, approved ramming tactics of suspects on scooters, and backed tougher laws against peaceful protest - all while crime stats are soaring.

This year alone she has :

Backed officers who beat women holding a vigil for a woman who was murdered ... by one of her officers.

Been found to have interfered with the inquiry into the cover up of the murder of a private investigator... who was investigating police corruption.

When will she be sacked?

Holy shit, this is beyond parody :rofl:

CNN took him back......no surprise there then. Progressives, "It's alright when we do it".

Last edited:

Holy shit, this is beyond parody :rofl:

CNN took him back......no surprise there then. Progressives, "It's alright when we do it".

Man gets caught having a wank because he didn't turn off his laptop camera. Oh my it's the worst crime imaginable.

Much worse than Roger Ailes, who left Fox under a cloud of sexual assault allegations from more than a dozen women (fun fact - he was given a $65 million payoff for his trouble and ended up as an election adviser to Donald Trump).

Much worse than Bill O’Reilly, who had his $25 million-a-year contract extended by executives despite them knowing full well that he had just paid $32 million to settle his sixth round of sexual assault claims by staff. He only resigned when the details of the payoff and allegations by no less than six women were made public and advertisers began to withdraw (fun fact - O'Reilly is preparing a nationwide tour with his friend Donald Trump, to provide 'a never before heard inside view of his administration').

Much worse than Kimberley Guilfoyle, who was sacked by Fox and her assistant paid $4 million and moved on to prevent a trial on her claims that Guilfoyle had sexually harassed her (fun fact - Guilfoyle ended up banging Donald Trump Jnr, acting as the Trump campaign's finance chairwoman and could be found screaming nonsense at Trump election events).

Much worse than the allegations against Ed Henry, who was fired from Fox and is accused of rape, sexual harassment and misconduct by two women connected to the network, one of whom says he subjected her to "violent, painful rape" in a Manhattan hotel room. That lawsuit later expanded with allegations of sexual misconduct against Howard Kurtz, Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson (fun facts - Hannity, Kurtz and Carlson all remain on air at Fox despite its promise that the network had taken "concerted action to transform" in the aftermath of the Ailes and O'Reilly scandal).

For legal purposes, all of the above deny they have done anything wrong. Ever.

You're beyond parody.

Last edited:
Man gets caught having a wank because he didn't turn off his laptop camera. Oh my it's the worst crime imaginable.

Much worse than Roger Ailes, who left Fox under a cloud of sexual assault allegations from more than a dozen women (fun fact - he was given a $65 million payoff for his trouble and ended up as an election adviser to Donald Trump).

Much worse than Bill O’Reilly, who had his $25 million-a-year contract extended by executives despite them knowing full well that he had just paid $32 million to settle his sixth round of sexual assault claims by staff. He only resigned when the details of the payoff and allegations by no less than six women were made public and advertisers began to withdraw (fun fact - O'Reilly is preparing a nationwide tour with his friend Donald Trump, to provide 'a never before heard inside view of his administration').

Much worse than Kimberley Guilfoyle, who was sacked by Fox and her assistant paid $4 million and moved on to prevent a trial on her claims that Guilfoyle had sexually harassed her (fun fact - Guilfoyle ended up banging Donald Trump Jnr, acting as the Trump campaign's finance chairwoman and could be found screaming nonsense at Trump election events).

Much worse than the allegations against Ed Henry, who was fired from Fox and is accused of rape, sexual harassment and misconduct by two women connected to the network, one of whom says he subjected her to "violent, painful rape" in a Manhattan hotel room. That lawsuit later expanded with allegations of sexual misconduct against Howard Kurtz, Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson (fun facts - Hannity, Kurtz and Carlson all remain on air at Fox despite its promise that the network had taken "concerted action to transform" in the aftermath of the Ailes and O'Reilly scandal).

For legal purposes, all of the above deny they have done anything wrong. Ever.

You're beyond parody.
Nice speech, only one thing though. I wasn't referencing a race to the bottom between Fox and CNN employees themselves.

I was most entertained by the funny, yet predictable hypocrisy of the CNN channel that is so obsessed with cancel culture and destroying the careers of people that don't conform to their world view. You know, the sort of people that Jeffrey Toobin has made a career out of going after. No doubt you just referenced some of them.

I would have thought a white privileged, patriarchal, wealthy, cis male should have been right in the sights of CNN (the arbiters of morality) by their absolute 'laws', once his sexual proclivities had been exposed (excuse the pun).

Apparently not though; as I was saying about progressives, "It's alright when we do it".

Perhaps what really matters to CNN and their ilk isn't all of those unforgiveable sins, when actually the only thing that truly counts is an individual's political views. Oooh, I think I may be onto something with that.

Having said all that, it was still fooking hilarious to watch the anchor and Toobin try and play it all cool and cosy. Nearly as much entertainment value as watching Creepy Joe when he's on form.

Last edited: