Only in America... | Page 29 | Vital Football

Only in America...

Here's an interesting wrinkle I learnt today: a president can't pardon state crimes, only federal ones.

Time to line-up some law suits in the state legal systems, I think. 😁

Plenty already ongoing. All those District of New York and Washington investigations will continue and he won't have the benefit of his presidency to stonewall them after January. He'll be legally required to adhere to subpoena's and also testify if requested...

https://www.ft.com/content/b83d2ae9-4c1f-47c8-8947-90892b8e2117

While in office, Mr Trump has been protected by the Department of Justice. Under the leadership of William Barr, who Mr Trump installed as attorney-general in 2019, the DoJ helped the president stall a state criminal investigation into possible tax fraud by the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus Vance.

The Manhattan DA’s ongoing probe is a more concrete outlet. Though it is only examining a portion of Mr Trump’s conduct — his business affairs — that area is the least complicated by constitutional questions about the president’s authority, and DoJ policies have long recognised that federal prosecutors may defer to state investigators. “I suspect that there will be a strong pull if Manhattan were to go forward to at the very least defer the decision on this issue,” says Mr Weissmann, the former Mueller prosecutor.

Optimistic news coming out of Georgia where it is starting to look as though the Dems might take control of the Senate.

As an (ashamed) American....maybe now is a good time for me to move my family to Lincolnshire. Where are some good places to live around there? I have family is Weston.

If these people had been Antifa or BLM, they would have been branded terrorists and shot out-of-hand.

If these people had been Antifa or BLM, they would have been branded terrorists and shot out-of-hand.
Exactly. There are reports that there is an armed standoff in the Capitol Building, too. If these were Black or brown people they would've been shot already. The double standard is ridiculous.

Protestors now in the chamber yelling "Trump is president".

Fascism on the march in America.

Reports that the US defense department has declined a request to deploy National Guard to the Capitol.

Coup in progress?