Only in America... | Page 24 | Vital Football

Only in America...

You make some really good observations there simes. Taking it one step further is in the event of somebody in Labour very sensibly getting to understand the red wall issues; what happens next to satisfy the very different factions within Labour.

There are strong Metropolitan areas within the Labour movement who are highly likely to hold very different views on many core issues to those of the working class heartlands. Quite how a Labour leader comes up with policies that keep both ends of that equation happy is very tricky and the danger of bland fudges on policy that satisfy nobody can be the result.

Agreed - clearly it was just one side of that coin a lot of the time under Corbyn. It's quite difficult to reconcile especially with some of the identity politics type stuff (and culture war bits where possible). I've heard a number of tories including Raab keen to play up Starmer's support/kneeling on black lives matter (as an example) - which is probably not something labour heartlands are that keen on , but popular with the more metropolitan/liberal voters.

Same with extinction rebellion/climate change, where tying labour to more extreme positions is probably the aim (think most of the country is thankfully there on climate change now, so it has to be painting them as one step further)?

Just a matter of time before Biden's lead in Pennsylvania is wide enough to pass the re-count margin, at that point I am sure the press will call the election for him...

I think GOP will dump Trump if Biden is declared. The populist Right are utterly ruthless when someone loses and becomes a perceived liability.

Don't think so, they need that base he has to enable them to enact "Fascist Dumb Bastard 2: Fascist Harder"

Lol. We'll see! He's got them the Supreme Court for a generation plus plenty of potential to control Congress. I think they'll go back to the long-game at this point.

CF: Ernst Rohm and the Night of The Long Knives and Margaret Thatcher post the Poll Tax Debacle.

As someone once commented, the only purpose of the Tory party is to attain power. And they're very effective at that.

What they didn't add is that the only reason to attain power is to make money for themselves.

They're pretty effective at that, too.

See also: Nigel Farage.

Don't know about the knives.I wonder, what odds some lunatic tries to shoot Biden?

I figure they kept Obama safe, who you would have thought would have been absolutely in the sights of any right wing nutter with a gun (ie all of them)

Not yet. Early days! I could be wrong and for once the right will stick with their man, but I wouldn't be surprised if not.

The huge angry divide in the US appears to run between urban and rural America judging from the election results.

All of those republican senators and congressmen and women who have just got re-elected in increased numbers were voted in by exactly the same people who voted for Trump, it appears to me to be more likely some of those voters will turn on the GOP for not doing enough to save their man when they were "fraudulently" denied a 2nd term. It might not be Trump who runs with their support in 2024, but it almost certainly be someone very much like him, maybe even Jared...

Put it another way, Biden has just received more votes than almost any other president in US history thanks to the massive turnout compared to previous elections. The candidate with the 2nd most votes? Donald Trump...

The huge angry divide in the US appears to run between urban and rural America judging from the election results.

All of those republican senators and congressmen and women who have just got re-elected in increased numbers were voted in by exactly the same people who voted for Trump, it appears to me to be more likely some of those voters will turn on the GOP for not doing enough to save their man when they were "fraudulently" denied a 2nd term. It might not be Trump who runs with their support in 2024, but it almost certainly be someone very much like him, maybe even Jared...

Put it another way, Biden has just received more votes than almost any other president in US history thanks to the massive turnout compared to previous elections. The candidate with the 2nd most votes? Donald Trump...

Oh, I don't think his support will melt away of "Trumpism" (whatever that is) is going away, either. But I think the GOP may ditch him at some point.

As I said, early days and we'll see.