Online reporting of football is rubbish | Page 2 | Vital Football

Online reporting of football is rubbish

Totally, that truly is lazy journalism but why waste hours on work when you can just paraphrase another article and possibly get more hits if you get it out into the world asap.

It is very easy to tell who the real journalists are these days compared to a desk-jockey who is paid by hit. Fans even give the real ones a hell of a lot of abuse, despite them actually having genuinely decent sources within football. It always comes back to give certainty to a somewhat unpredictable landscape.

A good comparison between styles is Fabrizio Romano vs Ali Gold. Obviously Ali is mostly a Spurs journo and Fabrizio casts a wider net, but Ali is very restrained with his reporting. He says himself that he doesn't like to run with a story unless he has multiple sources that line up. Fabrizio has no filter. He gets the story and puts it out in the world as soon as possible, and has built a reputation as the 'Here we go!' guy. It doesn't means the information he is getting from sources isn't correct, but he is way more willing to run with a rumour whether it ends up knocking his reputation.

To be honest Matic, it is Gold who I have found is particularly prone to these kinds of suedo scoop headlines.

Regards journo's for me its blah blah, here we go again, read between the lines and take it all with a pinch of salt, at times it can be humorous!

As has been said, I suppose they have to churn out something in order to get a crust.
If you cast your net wide enough you'll catch a fish, so if a journo links us to every available player and we take one on his list, then he was right.
It reminds me years ago my chum Kevin worked as a printer on a news paper, he got a couple of tickets to see an up and coming band "Dire Straits" and to write a review, I went with him (good call), however this lead to him having to do "the horoscopes" if his printing jobs finished early.
All we did was re hash the "Premonitions for pieces to Aquarius" from the month before, worked a treat.
Still got paid never got caught.... 😜
This football thing is much the, same really.
Excuse the long story. Memories 🤔😢🙄

I know Romano gets a lot of stick but I think if people see him for what he is, he makes more sense. The vast majority of the time he is an aggregator of the news from the more respected journalists for clubs rather than being a producer of new stories himself.

You just have a learn to pick out who usually has the right line for certain clubs and then not get carried away with the ebb and flow of each story.