One of the things wrong with the game | Vital Football

One of the things wrong with the game

Rexn

Vital Champions League
As some people on here know, one of my occasional golfing partners is a director at a League 2 club. We have had some interesting chats about several things, including football finance, Rafa (who he admires immensely from Liverpool days when he would mix with supporters during friendlies) and players.

One of those conversations was about a young player they signed from Burnley who just wanted to play. The signing was a bit of a coup, given the wage drop that the lad took to go from a reserve side, if you can call them that now, to a regular starting slot in League 2. As a part of that story, Sean Dyche went up hugely in my estimation.

Anyway, back to the point. I see Curtis Good was on £12k per week. Put another way, that is £600k per year.

Yes, Good has been an Australia international and could have gone to a World Cup if not injured at the time. He has also reached a League Cup final when on loan at Bradford. However, when you can see someone becoming a millionaire without a first team game for his parent club, it makes you wonder.

I am reminded of Andy Griffin crashing his Porsche, I think in his first season at NUFC.

Are some of the kids earning too much to really value what they can get out of striving for the top?

In my time of watching football it has gone from one extreme to the other. I remember Kenny Wharton gertting the bus to games and i think they were probably underpaid. Now we have youngsters who are millionaires and they are detached from the fans. The argument has always been that it is a short career and they have to make money while they can but i think 200k a week for a professional footballer is obscene.

Yes, Bruce. Looking back players retired and did other things. Terry Hibbitt ran the Diamond in Ponteland, Kevin Carr became a policeman. Brian Clough had CTN shops. These lads now can retire at 25 after a career in the reserves.

Is it any wonder that clubs by players from abroad?

There was always vast sums of money in the game it's only in the last 20 yrs or so it's gone into the stratosphere . I'd rather it go to players than the chairman (as was the case in the 70's) and when it comes to the upper echelon of players I don't begrudge them a penny. It's the bog standard players making silly money that's sickening. As for young players I've long been an advocate of a players licence and believe as part of that for footballers earning large sums under the age of say 23 it should be put into a trust for them. Saying that who am I to tell someone of the age to vote and die in a war what to do with their money.

Its the disconnection of the players to the fans, that has seen many people drift away from the game.

At the very very top level, I don't think they are worth it, its market forces that drive it.

Would rather watch a good sunday morning game now.

The real quality players deserve excellent wages although it has now gone overboard as they could retire after a year or two.
Trouble is there are numerous bulk standard players earning way above what they are worth and what they give.
As for connection with fans, it does not exist they do what their agent says and club loyalty does not exist.
I'm surprised they don't go on the pitch in fur coats and fur boots. A sign of the times and I lost any real interest years ago. Just follow the club, expect nothing and dismiss anything emanating from players and media.

Big problem for sure, average players earning more in a year than a working man will earn in 10 or more. In a lifetime in some cases. What was a working mans pastime is now showbiz.

Another thing wrong is the wanking over the top teams as if to try to change the mind set over what you can witness with your own eyes.

An example is the Berkamp goal that he fluked up here a few years back being lauded as genius etc etc etc. Kenedy's first today was better but you'll be lucky to see it again after this weekend.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 10/3/2018 19:27

Another thing wrong is the wanking over the top teams as if to try to change the mind set over what you can witness with your own eyes.

An example is the Berkamp goal that he fluked up here a few years back being lauded as genius etc etc etc. Kenedy's first today was better but you'll be lucky to see it again after this weekend.

Sky said Kennedy scuffed it...

Officemonkey - 11/3/2018 08:56

Toon_NoMatterWot - 10/3/2018 19:27

Sky said Kennedy scuffed it...

:59:

I rest my case then.

I thought it was a brilliant finish from Kenedy, problem is after that Chelsea will want more money for him than we can afford. He will go to a bigger and more ambitious club like say Brighton or Wolves. Which is fair enough, I mean we can't expect to compete with them can we.