One of our most disappointing seasons | Vital Football

One of our most disappointing seasons

Wasn't David Herd the manager that season? remember beating Brentford 4-1 at the Bank, the ground was rocking. Was the first time since I had started supporting the club that we got anywhere near promotion. Disappointing at the end, but for me was memorable.

A club is for life

Yes it was a great season we just ran out of steam n the last 4 or 5 games if I remember rightly it was a 1-0 home defeat to Darlo that did us, but I think we got around 17,0000 against Scunny at the Bank.

Like you Bloodaxe it was the first time I had seen City at the top end of the table.

I remember that season very well. For a long time, it looked as if all three Lincolnshire Clubs would be promoted. Sadly, we were the ones to lose out. Interesting that Aston Villa were then in Division Three. Might be heading there again!

Michael Foley - 3/11/2015 23:06

I remember that season very well. For a long time, it looked as if all three Lincolnshire Clubs would be promoted. Sadly, we were the ones to lose out. Interesting that Aston Villa were then in Division Three. Might be heading there again!

I can remember Villa still getting around 30,000 gates that year in Div 3

Think that was the year we sold our then top scorer Phil Hubbard to Norwich City mid season, that could have had something to do with not making it, by one point !

Ex-Ref - 4/11/2015 07:48

Michael Foley - 3/11/2015 23:06

I can remember Villa still getting around 30,000 gates that year in Div 3

I think they got 51,000 for their last game of the season.

Warrington Imp - 3/11/2015 21:44

Yes it was a great season we just ran out of steam n the last 4 or 5 games if I remember rightly it was a 1-0 home defeat to Darlo that did us, but I think we got around 17,0000 against Scunny at the Bank.

16,000. I remember there being a queue to get in at 2.0'clock!

impsimps - 4/11/2015 08:55

Think that was the year we sold our then top scorer Phil Hubbard to Norwich City mid season, that could have had something to do with not making it, by one point !

I don't think it was quite and cut and dried as that - the money from the sale of Phil Hubbard was used to buy Dixie McNeil and Tommy Spencer, and it was then the promotion challenge really took off.

In terms of goals, Hubbard scored 15 goals in 20 games in the league. McNeil scored 13 goals in 20 games and Spencer weighed in with 8 goals in 23 games, mostly from centre half.

I could be wrong, but my impression at the time was that supporters considered it a good bit of business, with Dixie McNeil a fair replacement for Hubbard, plus also acquiring a good centre half who could get his share of goals.

Merthyr Imp - 4/11/2015 12:16

impsimps - 4/11/2015 08:55

I don't think it was quite and cut and dried as that - the money from the sale of Phil Hubbard was used to buy Dixie McNeil and Tommy Spencer, and it was then the promotion challenge really took off.

In terms of goals, Hubbard scored 15 goals in 20 games in the league. McNeil scored 13 goals in 20 games and Spencer weighed in with 8 goals in 23 games, mostly from centre half.

I could be wrong, but my impression at the time was that supporters considered it a good bit of business, with Dixie McNeil a fair replacement for Hubbard, plus also acquiring a good centre half who could get his share of goals.

That is exactly how I remember it too.
What was not a good piece of business was then later selling McNeil to Hereford on the basis that they were "an ambitious club" (to quote our Chairman of the time). But then, of course, along came GT....