One month at the top | Vital Football

One month at the top

Casperimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
I think I am right in thinking that we hit the top spot on 25th August after we beat Notts County?

When was the last time we were top of a League (not counting Non League) table for 1 calendar month? Was it as far back as the Graham Taylor days? I certainly can't remember being top for this long in 1 stretch.

In the last 10 years the highest points total required to get automatic promotion was 85 but that was an exceptional year in 2015-16. We therefore only need 63 more points from 37 matches that is 1.7 points per match and so far this season we have 2.44 points per match. If we kept up that rate we would pass 85 points away to Forest Green on 2nd March

A long way to go and lots can change but it clearly shows what a stunning start to the season we have had. Let's just hope this dream continues.

Yeah 82/83 under the Murph.
06/07 under Schoey were top a while then and 89/90 we were top a while then.
Think we were top for around 3 weeks under Beck in 97/98.

The calendar year of 1982 spread over the two footballing seasons was incredible. We pretty much smashed everybody at home including Rednapp's Bournemouth 9 - 0 before finally losing to Huddersfield in a top of the table clash at Christmas.

Although we must not forget that Redknapp was only caretaker manager after the resignation of David Webb. Not surprisingly, he didn't get the job, which went to Don Megson.

Although we must not forget that Redknapp was only caretaker manager after the resignation of David Webb. Not surprisingly, he didn't get the job, which went to Don Megson.
Very true but I'll still take it :grinning:. TBH I was never a big fan of Redknapp - always classed him as a poor man's version of Venables who in turn I thought was a bit better but still over rated. I can't decide whether it is their flash personalities that makes me unfairly detract from their management abilities; on balance my instincts tell me not.

The calendar year of 1982 spread over the two footballing seasons was incredible. We pretty much smashed everybody at home including Rednapp's Bournemouth 9 - 0 before finally losing to Huddersfield in a top of the table clash at Christmas.

Brilliant team...think most (nearly all) got to 1st Division...
We currently have best squad since then.

Brilliant team...think most (nearly all) got to 1st Division...

It's certainly quicker to list the ones who didn't:

Marshall Burke, David Carr, Derek Bell and Phil Neale - who very likely would have done if it hadn't been for his cricketing career.

Wayne Turner as well?

Well, I was thinking mainly of the players who saw the team to the top of the Third Division for a long spell in the first half of the 1982/83 season. Wayne Turner was on loan during the previous season. He did in any case go on to play in the First Division for both Luton and Coventry.

For one game after an away win at Colchester?
Thought we went top when we beat Colchester and stayed there until Hartlepool got a late draw three weeks later? We drew with Macclesfield at home and had an away win at Exeter in that time, as well as the bizarre draw in the fa cup with Emley.