Once the season has ended........ | Vital Football

Once the season has ended........

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
We lose a lot of players at the end of the season. What was it? Only 4 of the starting XI last week are still here next season. There's a saving for a start.

How many Academy lads will be able to make the move upwards next season? Max Bird? Thomas? Sibley? etc..........

Those going or yet to get an offer are

Mount, Wilson, Tomori, King (injured), BJ, Nuge, Bryson, Ambrose, Cole, Olsson and Roos.

How many of those should get a new offer?

For me the first 3 won't be an option for us anyway. King neither but then from our side. BJ and Nuge and rByson to be let go, they are all 32/33 and we need to freshen things up. Ambrose? No idea. Never seen him play but if reports on him are true, at 30 he might be a decent bet for CH cover. If we are in the SBC again I can see a case for a 1 year deal for Cole as cover and as a damned good coach for the full backs. Olsson? If we keep him, a 1 year deal at best and he won't accept that IMO. Roos? Absolutely! Our #1 for next season IMO. Surprised he hasn't signed yet unless he has an offer from elsewhere, maybe from one of the Dutch top 3?

In 2020 it's Carson, Hudds, Anya, Davies, Forsyth, Martin and Bennett.

Hudds and Bennett signed that extra year this season. If Bennett starts next season the way he has performed for much of this one, he should get a new offer by Xmas. Hudds won't get an extra year on top of this one. I'd let the rest go. Carson isn't going to want to play 2nd sting to Roos, Anya has, allegedly, a huge price to be paid on his next 1st team appearance. If true, he needs to move on or face another U23 season out in the cold. Davies at 34, will find it hard to get back to SBC levels of fitness and sharpness, IMO. Forsyth is "only 30" but will need much of next season to get back to where he should be. I'd allow both him and Davies the run of Moor Farm for training and medical purposes but make it obvious that they are unlikely to reach 1st team fitness levels. Leave it up to them whether they try elsewhere or see the season out from the sidelines. Martin? Thanks for the first few years Coldplay, you were excellent. Unfortunately you don't have the tools in the locker to meet what the current manager is looking for, and haven't had for 3 years. Another season's loan and then a free transfer or a cheap sale and a wage cut now seem to be the open options.

Waggy, Marriott, Malone, Jozefzoon, Keogh, Wisdom, Evans and Holmes.
I'd keep them all except FloJo. He has proved me right. Potentially brilliant but only in odd flashes and just hasn't shown enough. Take a hit and let him go elsewhere. I'd be for keeping the rest with the following caveats......
Wisdom would have to be happy playing 2nd fiddle to Bogle.
Marriott would have to be free of whatever bug it was that felled him.

Lawrence and Bogle
Keep Bogle unless we get a £20M+ offer to fund the rebuild we have on our hands.
Lawrence has to be played centrally or sold. He is wasted and also unsuited to the wide role.

Frank and his staff? I'd keep them. I hope Chelsea don't come calling in the summer and, if they do, I hope Frank tells them "yes, but not now. After 1 season I don't have the experience to take on the Chelsea job".

Mel? Probably selling up. Partially or wholly. I hope he remains in some capacity. I like the bloke. He isn't perfect but neither are we. He has plunged in excess of £100M, some reports say it could be as high as £180M, into the club. I wish I had that kind of money, I would do similar.

Have I been harsh? I would prefer to see it as being realistic.

Very realistic and is of some concern!! It is time for a major rebuild but is it for another year seeking promo or, less likely, for a run in the greed league?? The play-offs create a unwanted side effect in that they delay taking those decisions which may result in panic buying!! A double edged sword indeed, desirable or otherwise is a matter of conjecture.

Latest Rams News