On to the next out break... | Vital Football

On to the next out break...

Pangloss

Vital Football Legend
Monkeypox: Israel, Switzerland and Austria confirm cases

Israel, Switzerland and Austria are the latest countries to confirm cases of monkeypox, bringing the total number of nations reporting outbreaks to 15.
Israel and Switzerland both said they identified one infected person who had recently travelled abroad. Israel is investigating other suspected cases.
Monkeypox does not tend to spread easily between people and the illness is usually mild.
The virus is most common in remote parts of Central and West Africa.
More than 80 cases have been confirmed in the recent outbreak in Europe, the US, Canada and Australia.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

There's been a handful of cases found here too.

Back to square one then?

Talks now of vaccines and isolation if encountered.

I find all this very strange to be honest.

Covid ends (ish), war in Ukraine straight away, now a new infectious disease that we all need to be scared and vaccinated from. All very odd.

Reactions: TLP
This is no surprise. As Human expansion around the globe increases, it puts us in closer and closer contact with wildlife amongst which these viruses evolve.

Gates predicted it 20 years ago. Obama had people around the globe working to spot early threats, and Trump abandoned them all to cut costs.

The UK is a world leader in finding and identifying these viruses, so we should be taking pride in our abilities here.

This is no surprise. As Human expansion around the globe increases, it puts us in closer and closer contact with wildlife amongst which these viruses evolve.

Gates predicted it 20 years ago. Obama had people around the globe working to spot early threats, and Trump abandoned them all to cut costs.

The UK is a world leader in finding and identifying these viruses, so we should be taking pride in our abilities here.
And gates is an expert in virology? Since when?

Does it not worry anyone that BILL GATES a computer software nerd is predicting pandemics and has a huge voice in terms of covid? I find this very odd also.

He's been involved in virology and modelling for years, it's no different from me being a law geek.

Monkeypox is basically a well known STD isn't it and been around for ages - last I saw they think ground zero for the spread was a concert/festival thing in Europe or something like that - so no great surprise as people go wacky after lockdowns.

He's been involved in virology and modelling for years, it's no different from me being a law geek.

Monkeypox is basically a well known STD isn't it and been around for ages - last I saw they think ground zero for the spread was a concert/festival thing in Europe or something like that - so no great surprise as people go wacky after lockdowns.

I didn't know it was an STD. Interesting.

I'm not sure it would be classified as an STD as such but it can be transmitted sexually. The sexual transmission as far as I'm aware is due to being in close contact. This is a different mechanism. You could get COVID by having sex with someone who is positive for it.

Unless I've missed something?

I'm not sure it would be classified as an STD as such but it can be transmitted sexually. The sexual transmission as far as I'm aware is due to being in close contact. This is a different mechanism. You could get COVID by having sex with someone who is positive for it.

Unless I've missed something?

Everything I've seen has said you can't get it easily and it really needs to be close contact and usually bodily fluid based, and having heard STD as a reference yesterday (and knowing its been around for years, just not usually Western) I assumed the rest lol

You might well be right it's not your usual STD.

US had an outbreak a few years back I think I heard?

Everything I've seen has said you can't get it easily and it really needs to be close contact and usually bodily fluid based, and having heard STD as a reference yesterday (and knowing its been around for years, just not usually Western) I assumed the rest lol

You might well be right it's not your usual STD.

US had an outbreak a few years back I think I heard?
Last time time I checked changing someone's bed sheets wasn't sexual? This is the latest advice!
All back to the tin pot hats and YouTube rabbit tunnels here we gooooooo

Not heard anything about bed sheets, a quack in the last hour has better qualified what I heard yesterday. Sexual is the most likely method of transmission, but can just as easily be passed if someone has extended contact with a lesion whilst giving a hug etc.

That might be your bed sheets reference?

Lots of vaccination talk going on right now. Reading about the particular type of monkeypox that is hitting Europe I'm not convinced the effects are serious enough to warrant mass vaccinations outside of particularly at risk subpopulations.

Will be interesting to see where this goes. I personally would not be up for it for myself based on what I know so far (which in fairness isn't a huge amount).

Lots of vaccination talk going on right now. Reading about the particular type of monkeypox that is hitting Europe I'm not convinced the effects are serious enough to warrant mass vaccinations outside of particularly at risk subpopulations.

Will be interesting to see where this goes. I personally would not be up for it for myself based on what I know so far (which in fairness isn't a huge amount).

I think it's just an over reaction. Vaccines were the solution to Covid but this isn't Covid.