On this day...... | Page 3 | Vital Football

On this day......

And, if you want to watch the Gills game and text at the same time, please be aware that on this day in 1785, Benjamin Franklin announced his invention of bifocals... :geek:

Have to say, 69 mins gone and we're playing quite well but this has got 0-0 written all over it. Hope it doesn't go to pens 😳

Blimey, what a finish, never saw that coming. At least if it had gone to pens, we had Josh Wright. I've heard he's quite good at them 😉

I have a still photo that I took seconds before Jackson headed home.Jackson had two men on him but the one in front jumps far too early moving towards the ball.As a result Jackson gets a bit of space and scores.
I can't see in the video, but was convinced Simeon gave the defender a gentle shove in the back as he was preparing to jump & just as the ball was being delivered. Does anyone know Simeon to ask? I couldn't stop laughing at the time!

I can't see in the video, but was convinced Simeon gave the defender a gentle shove in the back as he was preparing to jump & just as the ball was being delivered. Does anyone know Simeon to ask? I couldn't stop laughing at the time!
I've just watched it a couple of times and it doesn't look like he does. He was near the goal line and ran out, away from goal meaning he had to direct it back where he'd run from. Great technique and strength.

Are you talking about the one nearest the cross .If you are then he is well in the air when Jackson and the other defenders have their feet on the ground?

On this day..... in 1981, those immortal words "You cannot be serious" first echoed around the Centre Court at Wimbledon, as some jumped-up, spoilt, bumptious, arrogant, rich kid from New York launched into a sustained tantrum of a brat-fest which was to last for many, many years !

To be fair, the second was something quite sublime 👌

Or was it? Should it have even been allowed? 🤔

Cheating scumbag sums it up quite well.

Only if you've got an English point of view and an English sense of 'fair play'.

The culture is very different in South America and what Maradona did (i.e. fool the officials) is considered to be just another aspect of the game. Nothing to do with 'cheating' or being a 'scumbag'.

Diego was the best player of his generation by a country mile and one of the greatest of all time. He is a God in Argentina and both of his goals against England in that 1986 WC quarter final are revered for different reasons.

Gary Lineker and Terry Butcher were both part of that England team. Lineker understands about the South American culture and has forgiven Maradons. Butcher, on the other hand, simply doesn't get it and still thinks Maradona is a bloody cheat!

I understand that lots of English people can never forgive the handball but they really do need to understand that there is a huge cultural difference and Maradona didn't break any universal ethical code, he was just playing in the spirit of the South American game.