On this day | Page 5 | Vital Football

On this day

On this day(31st August) last year DEM MIGHTY BLADES proved to us BLADES that we were indeed up for the challenge of competing in the Premier League.We came from 2-0 down at Stamford Bridge to draw 2-2,we were brilliant in that 2nd half,it was a wonderful day out wi mi oldest son and a mini bus full of TREETONIAN TRUE BLADES.I also saw Blockers he gave mi a man hug before and after the game and even that didn't spoil the day.:LOL: UTMPB

The day Sir Gary Sobers hit the 1st 6 x6's off one over. Malcolm Nash of Glamorgan was the pie chucker.

Great batsman, slip fielder and could bowl seam AND spin.Met him once, fleetingly, in the sheds at BDBL when Windies v Yorks was rained off.
He was also a gentleman. Top bloke. Played cricket as it should be played. The term legend is used loosely nowadays but Sir Garfield Sobers is definitely one!! 👍

Great batsman, slip fielder and could bowl seam AND spin.Met him once, fleetingly, in the sheds at BDBL when Windies v Yorks was rained off.
As kids our dad always took us on holiday to Scarborough when it was the Cricket festival week. I saw a lot of cricket legends there. The likes likes of Australians Ray Lindwall, Keith Millar, Neil Harvey, Johnny Morris, Lindsey Hassett. Bill Johnson. Yorkshire players Trueman ,Illingworth, Close, Vic Wilson, Burnett, Binks.

As kids our dad always took us on holiday to Scarborough when it was the Cricket festival week. I saw a lot of cricket legends there. The likes likes of Australians Ray Lindwall, Keith Millar, Neil Harvey, Johnny Morris, Lindsey Hassett. Bill Johnson. Yorkshire players Trueman ,Illingworth, Close, Vic Wilson, Burnett, Binks.
When I first started in hotels I was lucky enough to work for a manager who loved his sport, a Forest fan and Notts born.

He knew the Yorks team of the mid 60's and had them stay at a hotel he managed in Scarboro' and, subsequently, he was a good friend of many which meant I was lucky enough to spend some memorable nights with FS, Phil Sharpe, Tony Nick,Don Wilson etc. Sharpey and Nick were good singers ( members of Wetherby Amateur operatic society)and we spent a good few nights enjoying a drink or two with them organising the sing song in the bar.

I then had Yorks stay with me at a hotel in Derby, which he had managed and I went back to as manager a few years later, and got to know Boycott, David Bairstow,Hampshire , Martyn Moxon, Bill Athey, Jim Love, Illly etc( who was by then the coach- although he did make his comeback as a 50 yr old at Derby and ended up fielding all day in sweltering heat and we virtually had to carry him to bed as he was so stiff and sore!)

That was fantastic for me as a Yorkshireman and I used to travel to the Sunday League matches to watch them.I ended up on the dressing room balcony at Northampton with the wife and 2 yr old daugher once, invited by David Bairstow. It was great as Yorks batted but the Northants players were totally baffled as we sat there amongst them while Yorks fielded!

Being a Forest fan he also knew Clough well so I mt him quite a few times but, in private , he was what you might call an acquired taste. When attending a dinner he would always arrive late so that he could make his entrance and be noticed by everyone and he could be an awkward bugger.

I've been very lucky, and very priviliged, to have spent time with some great, and some not so great, sportsmen- all courtesy of my job.

When I first started in hotels I was lucky enough to work for a manager who loved his sport, a Forest fan and Notts born.

He knew the Yorks team of the mid 60's and had them stay at a hotel he managed in Scarboro' and, subsequently, he was a good friend of many which meant I was lucky enough to spend some memorable nights with FS, Phil Sharpe, Tony Nick,Don Wilson etc. Sharpey and Nick were good singers ( members of Wetherby Amateur operatic society)and we spent a good few nights enjoying a drink or two with them organising the sing song in the bar.

I then had Yorks stay with me at a hotel in Derby, which he had managed and I went back to as manager a few years later, and got to know Boycott, David Bairstow,Hampshire , Martyn Moxon, Bill Athey, Jim Love, Illly etc( who was by then the coach- although he did make his comeback as a 50 yr old at Derby and ended up fielding all day in sweltering heat and we virtually had to carry him to bed as he was so stiff and sore!)

That was fantastic for me as a Yorkshireman and I used to travel to the Sunday League matches to watch them.I ended up on the dressing room balcony at Northampton with the wife and 2 yr old daugher once, invited by David Bairstow. It was great as Yorks batted but the Northants players were totally baffled as we sat there amongst them while Yorks fielded!

Being a Forest fan he also knew Clough well so I mt him quite a few times but, in private , he was what you might call an acquired taste. When attending a dinner he would always arrive late so that he could make his entrance and be noticed by everyone and he could be an awkward bugger.

I've been very lucky, and very priviliged, to have spent time with some great, and some not so great, sportsmen- all courtesy of my job.
In the 1950s the Touring team and Yorkshire players stayed in the Grand Hotel at Scarborough. Sat outside many a hour waiting to get autograph book signed.

In the 1950s the Touring team and Yorkshire players stayed in the Grand Hotel at Scarborough. Sat outside many a hour waiting to get autograph book signed.
When it was Grand eh CJ?
Yorks now stay at the Palm Court just across the square and behind,at the roundabout at the foot of the hill.

I was involved with the Royal and managed to get Warnock to bring the team there for an October international break in 2004 or 5 I think. Remember him chivvying them up to pay their bar bills and Paul Gerrard was widely ridiculed for having a load of Bailey's on his bill

When it was Grand eh CJ?
Yorks now stay at the Palm Court just across the square and behind,at the roundabout at the foot of the hill.

I was involved with the Royal and managed to get Warnock to bring the team there for an October international break in 2004 or 5 I think. Remember him chivvying them up to pay their bar bills and Paul Gerrard was widely ridiculed for having a load of Bailey's on his bill
Yes it was the top hotel then. I remember vividly stood on the entrance steps and asking Trevor Bailey for his autograph and he refused to sign. I didn’t know swear words then or I would have called a snobbish so and so. The Grand Hotel present day is a compete mess. I have a place at Filey and I often go to Scarborough and I despair every time I go passed it. I was told just last week that it is being used for immigrants. 😳

Yes it was the top hotel then. I remember vividly stood on the entrance steps and asking Trevor Bailey for his autograph and he refused to sign. I didn’t know swear words then or I would have called a snobbish so and so. The Grand Hotel present day is a compete mess. I have a place at Filey and I often go to Scarborough and I despair every time I go passed it. I was told just last week that it is being used for immigrants. 😳

Trevor Bailey not signing autographs does not surprise me - his pomposity came across the airwaves when he was on TMS.

The Grand was taken over by what is posssibly the world's worst hotel company CJ- Britannia Hotels. They have a terrible , and deservedly so, reputation.They spend nothing on the properties and have woeful standards . They have held the title of Britain's worst hotel company for 7 yrs on the trot by guests and treat staff like dirt sacking them at will. They've been filling hotels with migrants for a few years now and sell rooms to coach companies at around £19.00 a night DB&B including a 'free' bar so you can guess the quality on offer.

I have so many stories about them but a public forum is not the place.

Trevor Bailey not signing autographs does not surprise me - his pomposity came across the airwaves when he was on TMS.

The Grand was taken over by what is posssibly the world's worst hotel company CJ- Britannia Hotels. They have a terrible , and deservedly so, reputation.They spend nothing on the properties and have woeful standards . They have held the title of Britain's worst hotel company for 7 yrs on the trot by guests and treat staff like dirt sacking them at will. They've been filling hotels with migrants for a few years now and sell rooms to coach companies at around £19.00 a night DB&B including a 'free' bar so you can guess the quality on offer.

I have so many stories about them but a public forum is not the place.
What about the Copthorne hotel,that had gr8 owners didn't they?:giggle: UTMPB

80 years ago today Those magnificent men in their Flying Machines,the Magnificent Brylcream Boys kicked the Luftwaffe & Hitlers arses and WON The BATTLE OF BRITAIN.Never have so many owed so much to so few.God bless em all.LEST WE FORGET.UTMPB