On this day in 2012 - Carshalton Athletic | Vital Football

On this day in 2012 - Carshalton Athletic

Imp13

Vital Squad Member
On 17th January we had the Nathan Arnold 90th minute winner against Ipswich to reminisce about. On 18th January we've got the Jake Sheridan 90th minute goal against Carshalton, unfortunately Carshalton had already scored three by the time Jake curled one into the far corner condemning Lincoln to one of the worst defeats in our history.

I should've been concerned after the first leg 0-0 but travelled up optimistically hoping to see a rare win. I think the attendance was 200 people including about 5 Imps fans and Bob. I should've known there would be a low turnout as when I nipped into the garage and the pub the locals were shocked there was a football team. The two benefits of so few people being there is that not many were able to see the absolute shambles served up and the tea lady could go round and personally offer everyone watching a brew.

I'm not old enough for Emley but this was the worst and most disillusioned I'd ever felt after a game of football. I continued to listen to every match on BBC Radio Lincolnshire waiting for low quality YouTube highlights whilst exiled at Uni but it was a struggle to get too excited for a while, especially as Paul Robson continued to be selected.

We've come a long way and the journey has been sensational. If anything doesn't go perfectly in League One it's worth remembering Paul Vines' hat-trick and the abjectness of Lincoln's display that night to contextualise the level of success we've seen.

We're Lincoln City, we're top of the league!

Just as an aside, I was at Emley (well, Huddersfield), as were many more. That result isn't in the same category as Carshalton. Emley were a decent NLN level team and it was a bona fide FA Cup upset where we played ok for most of the 120 minutes of the replay (having been poor admittedly in the original tie). I think Carshalton were something like level 9?

Just as an aside, I was at Emley (well, Huddersfield), as were many more. That result isn't in the same category as Carshalton. Emley were a decent NLN level team and it was a bona fide FA Cup upset where we played ok for most of the 120 minutes of the replay (having been poor admittedly in the original tie). I think Carshalton were something like level 9?
I think people forget we were lucky to take Emley to a replay! In the first game we equalised in something like the 98th minute; and I'm not exaggerating.

I'd all but purged the memory of Carshalton from my mind. At the time, for me, it was just another depressing defeat in a series of depressing defeats that kept on coming - nothing to get too upset about. I think I was a bit numb to them at that point, but kept following fanatically despite the shite. Makes current times all the sweeter, though!

I was unfortunate enough to sit through the 0-0 at SB. I think they only opened the lower tier of the Co-op for it.

Not sure if I listened to this debacle on the radio or not, but if you can a pinpoint the absolute low of City’s long history, this has got to be it. National League North and the abyss was staring us in the face at that point I feared for the very existence of the club. That said, as the saying goes, the only way from the bottom is up and looking back now what an incredible journey this has been and still is, and it’s all thanks to one man who had only heard of us through that short lived association with Everton. Thanks Clive 👏

I didnt go to Carlshalton for the replay but was at the drawn game at Sincil Bank.
Absolutely atrocious and three sides of the ground were shut. The only stand that was open to fans was the Echo (Selenty) stand and I dont think that was full.

I drove across "the tops" to get to the Emley game. The result matched my stupidity for taking that route in the snow!
They were a decent side to be fair to them. Other than that, all I really remember is that Jason Barnett should never take another penalty.

For me, our absolute nadir. On the drive home I said to my son, It can't get any worse for us than this and I was proved correct. However, I had no idea just how much better things would get. Eventually.

I didnt go to Carlshalton for the replay but was at the drawn game at Sincil Bank.
Absolutely atrocious and three sides of the ground were shut. The only stand that was open to fans was the Echo (Selenty) stand and I dont think that was full.

As Luke said earlier I think it was the Co op lower that was the only stand open. I remember being in there and the game was as bad as you could possibly imagine.

I don't recall a couple of those names...Karlton Watson and Tony Sinclair...were they youth players?

Karlton Watson was a Forest loanee. I think this was his only Lincoln appearance. He was partnered by Matty Pearson, now of Luton, who I also don’t think made another appearance for us. He’s one of the few from non-league to then play higher but he barely played for us.

Tony Sinclair actually played a fair amount in our first season back in the small time. I honestly cannot remember a single contribution or kick he did.