On The Subject Of Hat-Tricks | Page 2 | Vital Football

On The Subject Of Hat-Tricks

I'm trying to remember Grimes' hat-trick. Was that the game where he lobbed the 'keeper from the right wing position near the halfway line?

How about the time for the hat-trick? He did pretty well and there can’t be that many scored within 11 minutes (would have been 10 mins if it hadn’t been for Mr Scully 😂)
To be fair to Scully he was sold by Johnson’s pause as he ran up. I don’t think there is hardly ever a penalty taken when players from either side dont encroach the area but the kick is seldom retaken.

I'm trying to remember Grimes' hat-trick. Was that the game where he lobbed the 'keeper from the right wing position near the halfway line?
Most events from that season are best forgotten, trying to remember any good moments bring back some nightmares

I remember John Thomas’s hat-trick v Vale in 84’ .... the gate was embarrassingly low though, just over 1,300 😩

One of my favourites has to be Simon Yeo's at Blundell Park. Sweeping end to end move just after the Cods had pulled back a two goal deficit. I suppose one of the more "famous" ones would be Bert Linnecor's at Anfield (I believe all at the Kop End?). Whilst I saw Yeo's, sadly Bert's was 5 years before I was born!

Last edited:
I remember Mick Harford scoring a hat trick against Hull 5-0 in the League Cup. Him and Hobbo ran riot that day. I think it was 1980. We got off to a good start that season and had a 100% record in the league for quite a few games as well.

That Linnecor hat trick was the last at Anfield until Peter Ndlovu scored one for Coventry in 1995.

The hat trick I remember beat was Peter Graham’s at Crewe in the 75/76 season scored all 3 in a 3-2 win.

Yes, Clive Ford's hat-trick was in the 5-1 win against Bradford (Park Avenue) in December 1967.

The return match the following April was also won 5-1 with Norman Corner getting a hat-trick of headers. This was the headline in the Bradford football paper:

Bradford headline.jpg

Bradford 27.4.68.jpg

Does anyone know the city player with the most hat-tricks of all time? I dont remember a player getting more than one in my time watching Lincoln (admittedly not that long)

... apart from Terry Alcock (Norwich) in Jan 1962.
... apart from Terry Alcock (Norwich) in Jan 1962.

Yes interesting. Andrei Arshavin scored 4 for Arsenal in 2009 and they drew 4 all. I think Allcock was the last player to get three and end on the losing team at Anfield. Peter Ndlovu was the only subsequent player after Bert Linnecor to get a hatrick and be on the winning side. (at Anfield)

Last edited:
Does anyone know the city player with the most hat-tricks of all time? I dont remember a player getting more than one in my time watching Lincoln (admittedly not that long)
7: Johnny Campbell, Andy Graver
5: Harold Andrews, Gordon Hobson
4: Frank Smallman, Billy Dinsdale, Allan Hall
3: Dennis O'Donnell, Tosh Barrell, Chick Reed, Jimmy Hutchinson, Ernie Whittle, Mick Harford, Derek Bell, Jamie Forrester
2: 21 players, the most recent being Tony Lormor
1: 65 players including Brennan Johnson

Therefore, Brennan is the 101st player to score a competitive hat-trick for Lincoln.

Bernard Towler scored one hat-trick for City in competitive football, but added eight more in wartime football. In fact, all eight of those came within the space of just over two years (between 14/9/1940 and 10/10/1942).

I suppose one of the more "famous" ones would be Bert Linnecor's at Anfield (I believe all at the Kop End?).
Not quite. Bert scored after 3 and 19 minutes to give City a 2-0 lead before a Ronnie Moran penalty pulled a goal back after half an hour following a Jeff Smith handball. Bert added his third with a penalty on 64 minutes at the Kop end after Liverpool keeper Bert Slater tripped Andy Graver when through on goal.

Liverpool: Bert Slater, John Molyneux, Ronnie Moran, Johnny Wheeler, Dick White, Tommy Leishman, Billy Liddell, Roger Hunt, Dave Hickson, Jimmy Harrower, Alan A'Court.

Lincoln: Bill Heath, Ron Allen, Jeff Smith, Fred Middleton, Dennis Gratton, Bob Jackson, John McClelland, Derek Hawksworth, Andy Graver, Bert Linnecor, Peter Dunwell.

Att: 24,081

We actually did the double over Liverpool that season despite them finishing third in the table, winning 4-2 at Sincil Bank in November. The trajectories of the two clubs have been a bit different since 1960...

Last edited:
7: Johnny Campbell, Andy Graver

A glance at the Nannestads' Official History shows that Campbell got five of his hat-tricks in one season - 1936/37 - including scoring all five in a 5-3 win over Rochdale.

I remember Derek Bell getting two hat-tricks in the 1982/83 season, one coming in the 9-0 v Bournemouth.

A glance at the Nannestads' Official History shows that Campbell got five of his hat-tricks in one season - 1936/37 - including scoring all five in a 5-3 win over Rochdale.

I remember Derek Bell getting two hat-tricks in the 1982/83 season, one coming in the 9-0 v Bournemouth.
He scored a hat trick against Norwich in the flt the game before that 9 0 game.