On The Subject Of Hat-Tricks | Vital Football

On The Subject Of Hat-Tricks

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Brennan Johnson's hat-trick is the first by a Lincoln player since Lee Angol scored three at Braintree on his debut on 7 March 2017. Radio Lincs were struggling a bit with that one.

The gap of 220 games is the fourth longest period between hat-tricks in the club's history in terms of games (295, 223, 222, 220).

The gap of 1,498 days is the fifth longest in terms of time (2,106, 1,581, 1,554, 1,516).

Brennan's hat-trick is the 200th by a Lincoln player including unofficial wartime football, and the 167th in competition.

It is Lincoln's first hat-trick in the Football League for more than ten years, since Ashley Grimes got three at Stockport on 22 January 2011.

The last hat-trick by a Lincoln player in the third tier was scored by John Thomas against Port Vale on 12 May 1984, the final game of the season.

Lincoln's last four hat-tricks have each included a penalty: Matt Rhead at Whitehawk (8/11/2015), Jonny Margetts against Southport (20/8/2016 - header, left foot, right foot, penalty), Lee Angol at Braintree and Brennan Johnson tonight. The last player to score a hat-trick without a penalty was Liam Hearn against Macclesfield on 18 August 2015.

EDIT: It is also the first Football League hat-trick by a Lincoln player at Sincil Bank for almost fifteen years: Jamie Forrester scored the last one in the 7-1 win over Rochdale on 21 October 2006.

Last edited:
I forgot about that Margetts one. That four goal game seems like a long time ago, at the start of things getting better anyway.

Imagine it's harder to find stats on but when was the last time we scored a retaken pen, I can't remember any of Grant's? John's run up must have caused encroachment at some point?

The gap of 220 games is the fourth longest period between hat-tricks in the club's history in terms of games (295, 223, 222, 220).

The gap of 1,498 days is the fifth longest in terms of time (2,106, 1,581, 1,554, 1,516).
All indicators of the crap period we've been through.

Epic stats by the way!

I was there to see Angol's hat-trick at Braintree and Grimes' hat-trick at Stockport and Margetts' hat-trick Vs Southport (four goals I think?)

How about the time for the hat-trick? He did pretty well and there can’t be that many scored within 11 minutes (would have been 10 mins if it hadn’t been for Mr Scully 😂)

How about the time for the hat-trick? He did pretty well and there can’t be that many scored within 11 minutes (would have been 10 mins if it hadn’t been for Mr Scully 😂)
The fastest hat trick I have seen was the 11 minute one by Clive Ford in 1968 against Bradford Park Avenue from the start of the game we were actually 4 nil up after 11 minutes.

The fastest hat trick I have seen was the 11 minute one by Clive Ford in 1968 against Bradford Park Avenue from the start of the game we were actually 4 nil up after 11 minutes.

It finished 5-1 didn't it? Early December '67 and we also won at their place by the exact same scoreline in the reverse fixture the following April.