On the Back of Shack signing | Vital Football

On the Back of Shack signing

westbanker

Vital Reserves Team
it got me thinking, lets assume no transfer fees and wage budgets for this discussion.

Shack and Bossie are nailed on starters at CB with Bolger a more than adequate back up. So would any of you have Ragget and/or Waterfall back and would they be in front of those 3?

Similarly in Centre Mid we play 2 of Pett, O'hara, O'connor and Freck, would you have Woodyard back and who would he be ahead of?

i can guarantee that pretty much all of us this time last year would have said we'd be weaker losing those 3.

I'll say this quietly, but i think we will do very well next season.

I’d like Raggett back for the option of a 3 at the back and a younger option (assuming Wilson leaves)
Waterfall - no thanks, did a great job for us but not ahead of what we have
I’d 100% take Woodyard back, underrated by many

Wasn't sure initially, but I reckon you might have a point. Shack and Bozzie might offer an invaluable mentoring role for Raggs and it makes sense for succession planning.

The other two would, I fear, end up bench warming.

Interesting that nobody as yet has admitted to feeling that this time last year would have felt that we would have been weakened losing the 3 of them. I mention this as I was having a chat with a mate who is a Liverpool fan and was distraught at losing Courtinho to Barca, ‘we are weaker without him’ who now wouldn’t have him back in the his starting 11.

Shackell and Bostwick are great players (as are Eardley, Gilkes, O'Connor, Akinde, Rhead etc) but most aren't really saleable assets. If we want ro really compete financially we'll need to lower the age in a lot of areas and sell on. Easier said than done though, and it may be a case of one step back for two or three forward.

Shackell and Bostwick are great players (as are Eardley, Gilkes, O'Connor, Akinde, Rhead etc) but most aren't really saleable assets. If we want ro really compete financially we'll need to lower the age in a lot of areas and sell on. Easier said than done though, and it may be a case of one step back for two or three forward.

We may need to take a few punts on some promising younger players, hoping to develop them and sell them on, a little like Raggett and Woodyard.

Shackell's experience will be of most use teaching Bozzie how to cope with ageing legs. I fear he may deteriorate rapidly as he gets older.

Bossie manages his lack of pace quite well already, rarely over committing. He only makes truly rash challenges when it is clear he is well beaten (which isn't often) and usually tries to put a yellow card tackle in as early as possible before it gets into red areas. He's very good at reading when he is kippered and is very proactive as a result.

Bossie manages his lack of pace quite well already, rarely over committing. He only makes truly rash challenges when it is clear he is well beaten (which isn't often) and usually tries to put a yellow card tackle in as early as possible before it gets into red areas. He's very good at reading when he is kippered and is very proactive as a result.

But... his legs have gone!

Exhibit A being his second half tackle on Monday, stopping an almost certain goal and certain red card if he'd got the timing wrong. Class, should have been in the PFA team too.

Likewise Eardley, as a full-back he's usually up against quicker players but his use of experience to negate that is a joy to watch.

I would definitely take Woodyard back and he’d be in my team. As much as I liked Waterfall we have moved on now but Raggett is an interesting one. Great defender but where would he fit in?

The play and the opposition players are about to get quicker... and they will be doing it for longer periods of the match. Every week. I agree we need more energy in the squad... look at the difference o’hara made.
Also need to reduce the number of players in the squad that can’t do 90 minutes imo. Otherwise we could start well and then run out of steam.

I would take Raggett as third choice CB after Bozzie and Shackell.

Woodyard is a tough one, I think Pett is the more unique CM with O’Connor and O’Hara if bought, being similar more defensive break up play like Woodyard . I would probably have Woodyard as a second to fourth CM instead of a high wage Frecklington if we could get rid of him on his wages.

No disrespect to him but as we all know football is a ruthless business.

As above had said raggett as 3rd choice CB.. I’m not fully sold on Bolger yet.. but very early days.

Woodyard is a difficult one, but probably not.. o’hara and pett both have more overall game and would start them in ahead of him.

We'll probably see one or two completely unexpected signings. It's a Cowleys' speciality!
which is why we can't give everyone a new contract, and sign all the loanees...
i think they will be looking at higher quality additions... in the same way we that added bostwick when we joined L2.