Omar an Imp? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Omar an Imp?

Stopped playing for Peterborough in late March (didn't even know he was there on loan, thought he was still at Wigan let alone he'd moved to Cardiff!!) was he injured or did tubby fall out with him?

Song. I prefer the Snowboy version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's speculate that we were to sign a loan striker on 7k a week for a season. Is that as crazy as it sounds for us. There are no guarantees of success but I take the view that the mythical 20 goal a season striker is a key ingredient and the one area where a club could push the boat out to give themselves a shot at signing one. We could have signed a Kristian Dennis type with a signing on fee of say 150k and wages over two years circa. 400k = total outlay North of half a million. He would have the option of walking away for free after two years and if badly injured or not good enough then stuck with him and little chance of moving him on.
A loan signing for about 40 weeks with an outlay of say 280k. However if he was injured or the loan wasn't working out it should in theory be easier to send the player back and certainly not be saddled for two years with dead wood. Repeat the process the next season or replace the big loan mid season if indeed not working out. I don't know the machinations of how loan contracts work or whether that theory is feasible but I can see merit in considering a creative loan for a star striker.

Well - first off loans are usually for our of form, fringe or youth players. You don't get pedigree on the loan market. Clubs who don't see a player with a future would rather move them on for a fee, if they can, because loaning out will wind a contract down.

Well - first off loans are usually for our of form, fringe or youth players. You don't get pedigree on the loan market. Clubs who don't see a player with a future would rather move them on for a fee, if they can, because loaning out will wind a contract down.
Agree generally (wouldn't want to risk the cash on a 20 year old Prem Academy/youth player) but if your fringe player comes from a Championship/Premiership team and has a track record e.g. Bogle then he may well be worth the investment as he is likely to be better than most L2 strikers.

But if premier teams are loaning out young players they are often done without fees/wages from the teams taking them. An example would be if Liverpool decide to loan out Brewster for experience we should have a serious look at it.

There have been lots of good young strikers loaned out to L1 and L2 clubs who do very well. Armstrong from Newcastle a recent example

But if premier teams are loaning out young players they are often done without fees/wages from the teams taking them. An example would be if Liverpool decide to loan out Brewster for experience we should have a serious look at it.

There have been lots of good young strikers loaned out to L1 and L2 clubs who do very well. Armstrong from Newcastle a recent example
Different type of loan to what I am suggesting; this type of loan would suit a third striker option. I'm thinking the older fringe player who is hungry for games to get in the shop window playing at a level that he is better than.

Agree generally (wouldn't want to risk the cash on a 20 year old Prem Academy/youth player) but if your fringe player comes from a Championship/Premiership team and has a track record e.g. Bogle then he may well be worth the investment as he is likely to be better than most L2 strikers.
Let's speculate that we were to sign a loan striker on 7k a week for a season. Is that as crazy as it sounds for us. There are no guarantees of success but I take the view that the mythical 20 goal a season striker is a key ingredient and the one area where a club could push the boat out to give themselves a shot at signing one. We could have signed a Kristian Dennis type with a signing on fee of say 150k and wages over two years circa. 400k = total outlay North of half a million. He would have the option of walking away for free after two years and if badly injured or not good enough then stuck with him and little chance of moving him on.
A loan signing for about 40 weeks with an outlay of say 280k. However if he was injured or the loan wasn't working out it should in theory be easier to send the player back and certainly not be saddled for two years with dead wood. Repeat the process the next season or replace the big loan mid season if indeed not working out. I don't know the machinations of how loan contracts work or whether that theory is feasible but I can see merit in considering a creative loan for a star striker.
Just because we are perceived to be relatively well off doesn't mean we should start splashing the cash on a 'star' loan striker particularly as there are no guarantees that someone who has played well and scored goals in a higher league will do so in division 2 with inferior players around him. You also have to look at the team dynamics too, is it going to help morale to have someone who isn't part of the club being paid seven times as much as his team mates! You also have to ask will this 'star' player be prepared to put in the effort required in this league knowing that he's not going to be dropped and at the end of the loan period he'll go back to his parent club and continue to pick up his big wages. We need a striker who's on the way up who will buy into the team ethic and be looking to improve and rise through the leagues not someone who may not be that bothered as found to be the case at Peterborough with Bogle.

Just because we are perceived to be relatively well off doesn't mean we should start splashing the cash on a 'star' loan striker particularly as there are no guarantees that someone who has played well and scored goals in a higher league will do so in division 2 with inferior players around him. You also have to look at the team dynamics too, is it going to help morale to have someone who isn't part of the club being paid seven times as much as his team mates! You also have to ask will this 'star' player be prepared to put in the effort required in this league knowing that he's not going to be dropped and at the end of the loan period he'll go back to his parent club and continue to pick up his big wages. We need a striker who's on the way up who will buy into the team ethic and be looking to improve and rise through the leagues not someone who may not be that bothered as found to be the case at Peterborough with Bogle.
And the attitude/squad harmony is the other side of the coin. Would need the Cowley man and squad management skills in force to be sure. Turn that consideration on it's head again. How about the squad buy into the importance of the striker that is going to fire them to promotion and thereby gain themselves from better bonuses and the possibility of better contracts at the next level up.

Brewster has been promoted to Liverpool's first team this year coming. Pipe dream to think we could get him here. Gladbach wanted to sign him - We would have zero chance of getting him.

Brewster has been promoted to Liverpool's first team this year coming. Pipe dream to think we could get him here. Gladbach wanted to sign him - We would have zero chance of getting him.
Heard he was going to Rangers. Supposedly Liverpool know a guy up there

Solanke may go there , Brewster has been told he is in the first team squad, but is just recovering from Injury.

I was more naming him as an example of good youth strikers in Premier league teams as opposed to a likely target just to suggest that we could look at younger players as options. Liverpool probably don't want him being kicked about in League 2