Olympique Marseille-Manchester City Champions League Game Two Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Olympique Marseille-Manchester City Champions League Game Two Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Olympique Marseille 0 Manchester City 3
FT Stats
Possession
OM 37% City 63% (City OS OM 35.7% City 64.3%)
Corners
OM 1 City 5
Offsides
OM 3 City 5
Fouls
OM 5 City 10
Cards
OM 2 Y City 1 Y (Laporte)
On Target
OM 2 City 4
Woodwork
OM 1 City 0
Off Target
OM 0 City 5 (UEFA site has 2 OM shots, City 9 - City OS OM 0 shots City 2 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from UEFA and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/2029402--marseille-vs-man-city

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/marseille-v-manchester-city

21:48
'Cruise for Man City'
Marseille 0-3 Manchester City

Pat Nevin
Former Chelsea and Scotland winger on BBC Radio 5 Live

The third goal was training ground stuff and brilliantly so. The play there by Kevin de Bruyne to get into that position. The play between Riyad Mahrez and de Bruyne was effortless. They're clever players, they're so quick.

Raheem Sterling has played really well - always full of running. He's frightened the life out of the full-back he's been playing against. It's been a bit of a cruise for Man City and their forward line. I have to say I'm surprised I didn't think it would be anywhere near this easy for City.

Joleon Lescott on WNRH " pep bought in two centerbacks due to injury and form and John Stones is a top man and he can still do a job"

21:59
'City were miles ahead'

Pat Nevin
Former Chelsea and Scotland winger on BBC Radio 5 Live

Piece of cake for Manchester City, they started with the right attitude and closed the opposition down. Marseille couldn't lay a glove on City. In the second half, a goal down, the players were smiling, that tells you something. They didn't believe at any point tonight - watching the way they played they were probably right not to believe. City were miles ahead and 3-0 was the least they deserved. The game back at the Etihad, well that could be anything.

CITY: Ederson 6, Walker 8, Dias 7, Laporte** 6, Zinchenko* 7, Rodrigo 7, Gundogan*** 8, De Bruyne(C)*****8 , Torres**** 7, Foden , Sterling .

SUBS: Steffen, Carson, Stones**6, Bernardo*** 6, Mahrez**** 7, Cancelo*7, Garcia, Nmecha, Doyle, Harwood-Bellis, Palmer*****nttm, Bernabe.

From the City reporter, Simon Hart, on the UEFA website.

De Bruyne's two assists this evening took him to 13 overall in 43 UEFA Champions League appearances; unlucky for Marseille, but definitely not for City.

22:11
Bartomeu gone

Spanish La Liga

Some news that happened while we were on air - Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has resigned under increasing pressure, but said he had accepted proposals for the club to join a European Super League.

Fans had been trying to remove Bartomeu , who became president in 2014 and had fallen out with Lionel Messi.

He stood down on Tuesday, along with the entire board of directors.
In a leaving speech Bartomeu said Barca had begun proceedings to join a Super League to help its financial future.

(My emphasis in bold)

Sky Player ratings

Man City: Ederson (6), Walker (6), Dias (7), Laporte (7), Zinchenko (7), Gundogan (7), Rodri (6), De Bruyne (8), Foden (6), Torres (7), Sterling (7)

Subs: Cancelo (6), Mahrez (NA), Stones (NA), Bernardo (NA), Palmer (NA)

Man of the match: Kevin De Bruyne

22:20
Goals galore

Manchester City’s opening goal was their 600th goal scored under manager Pep Guardiola in all competitions – they have scored 117 more goals than any other Premier League side since Guardiola took charge in August 2016.

22:20
Goals galore

Manchester City’s opening goal was their 600th goal scored under manager Pep Guardiola in all competitions – they have scored 117 more goals than any other Premier League side since Guardiola took charge in August 2016.
You won’t see much about it in the media. They’ll still try and focus on the negatives.

22:25
'So satisfied with the way we played'

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola talking to BT Sport: "We played really well, we didn't concede much and we were in control, patient and aggressive without the ball. I'm so satisfied with the performance and result, it's always difficult to win away.

"We can play on both sides, we tried to play high and wide to stretch the pitch. Raheem Sterling was exceptional, Phil [Foden] as well. We didn't expect them to play five at the back until we saw the team. Porto was the same. As much as we play against five at the back we started to take the control and rhythm.

"We were so stable defensively. Aymeric [Laporte] was good, Kyle [Walker] is in the best form since we've been together, Oleksandr [Zinchenko] helped us, John [Stones] played good minutes. I'm so satisfied with the way we played."

Has the criticism been unfair? "We have to accept the criticism. We play every three days, when you win it's good but if you don't people want to destroy everything. But it's about the chairman and everyone else understanding. Part of the criticism was right, but you've got to accept it. It's part of our job. It's about where we've come from in the last month, with lack of preparation, injuries and Covid-19 but the Champions League is in a good place now. I'm sure we're going to find that consistency."

22:32
'My players were exceptional'
FT: Marseille 0-3 Man City

Marseille boss Andre Villas-Boas: “It was a tough match to play and we paid for our mistakes.

"We didn’t defend too deep and my players were exceptional. We were never going to play against City in a 3-4-3 or a midfield diamond. I think they are used to coming up against five at the back.

“The second goal was a real blow for us as we were starting to turn things around. In the first half, we had trouble getting through the City press, and a bad pass led to them being 1-0 up."

For Kyle the more exhausted he is the better he seems to play. Also I like Sterling out on the right wing, he willl never be a CF like Rashnaldo. A top result for us and good to have our #1 CB parners working together and looking always in control.