Ollie Palmer And His Goals | Vital Football

Ollie Palmer And His Goals

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Ollie now has 11 goals to his name despite being the perennial bench-warmer, and that is worthy of note in itself. But look at the importance of those 11 goals:

9 Sep: Stevenage (A) 2-1. City would not have won without his goal: 2 points gained.
26 Sep: Barnet (H) 2-1. 2 points gained.
30 Jan: Newport (H) 3-1. Vita win over a side looking good for the play-offs at the time.
6 Mar: Mansfield (A) 1-1. Late equaliser, 1 point gained (and 2 taken from a play-off rival, since when Mansfield have not been the same).
10 Mar: Chesterfield (A) 3-1.
30 Mar: Exeter (H) 3-2. 2 points gained (and 1 taken off a play-off rival).
24 Apr: Coventry (A) 4-2. 2 points gained (and 1 taken from a play-off rival).

Ollie's 8 league goals have been significant in winning an extra 9 points.

Checkatrade:
29 Aug: Mansfield (A) 3-1. First game of the campaign, set the tone for the remainder.
5 Dec: Accrington (H) 3-2.
9 Jan: Rochdale (A) 1-0.
I will also add an excellent penalty in the shootout against Chelsea.

In all likelihood, we would not have reached the final without those three (four) goals.

The record books will show just 8 starts in the league and 4 starts in the Checkatrade, but it is an overall contribution to our season that must never be overlooked.

Ollie now has 11 goals to his name despite being the perennial bench-warmer, and that is worthy of note in itself. But look at the importance of those 11 goals:

9 Sep: Stevenage (A) 2-1. City would not have won without his goal: 2 points gained.
26 Sep: Barnet (H) 2-1. 2 points gained.
30 Jan: Newport (H) 3-1. Vita win over a side looking good for the play-offs at the time.
6 Mar: Mansfield (A) 1-1. Late equaliser, 1 point gained (and 2 taken from a play-off rival, since when Mansfield have not been the same).
10 Mar: Chesterfield (A) 3-1.
30 Mar: Exeter (H) 3-2. 2 points gained (and 1 taken off a play-off rival).
24 Apr: Coventry (A) 4-2. 2 points gained (and 1 taken from a play-off rival).

Ollie's 8 league goals have been significant in winning an extra 9 points.

Checkatrade:
29 Aug: Mansfield (A) 3-1. First game of the campaign, set the tone for the remainder.
5 Dec: Accrington (H) 3-2.
9 Jan: Rochdale (A) 1-0.
I will also add an excellent penalty in the shootout against Chelsea.

In all likelihood, we would not have reached the final without those three (four) goals.

The record books will show just 8 starts in the league and 4 starts in the Checkatrade, but it is an overall contribution to our season that must never be overlooked.

And can now fold a crisp.

I wonder what his tactic was regarding the crisps. Did he soak the crisps in a bag with water or did he go for the more subtle approach of leaving the bag open for a week before folding them over in front of DC.

Looking at league stats only, it also shows that Palmer is deadlier in front of goal than Green and Rhead

Shots and goals:
Palmer 35 – goals 8 (23% conversion rate)
Green 75 – goals 13 (17% conversion rate)
Rhead 46 – goals 8 (17% conversion rate)

Shots – on and off target:
Green – 75: On 33 Off 42
Rhead – 46: On 21 Off 23
Palmer – 35: On 15 Off 20

Interestingly, Palmer has zero assists to his name this season, while Rhead has seven and Green two.

Looking at league stats only, it also shows that Palmer is deadlier in front of goal than Green and Rhead

Shots and goals:
Palmer 35 – goals 8 (23% conversion rate)
Green 75 – goals 13 (17% conversion rate)
Rhead 46 – goals 8 (17% conversion rate)

Shots – on and off target:
Green – 75: On 33 Off 42
Rhead – 46: On 21 Off 23
Palmer – 35: On 15 Off 20

Interestingly, Palmer has zero assists to his name this season, while Rhead has seven and Green two.
In my stats, Rhead has 9 assists, Green has 7, Palmer has 2

Another season where the subs, or 'finishers', impact games.

Was less apparent earlier in the season but as the season has progressed, it's happened more.

Another season where the subs, or 'finishers', impact games.

Was less apparent earlier in the season but as the season has progressed, it's happened more.

Probably because he's now totally "on method ".

Chuffed for the lad, as he's a big personality and obviously loves it here.

I wonder what his tactic was regarding the crisps. Did he soak the crisps in a bag with water or did he go for the more subtle approach of leaving the bag open for a week before folding them over in front of DC.
I can see a song along these lines coming out

What another shrewd signing Ollie has been by Danny. And what a great clubman. Most other players would have spat their dummy out a a a long time ago after sitting on the bench so often. But Ollie has given his all whenever he has come on and finally got the start he deserved.

If we do get promoted, do we stick with the three strikers we already have, or do we add to them?

I, for one, wouldn't get rid of any of the three.
Definitely add one more who is clinical (for our level) Green and Rhead are not getting any younger and in different ways take a physical hit every game. Eventually they could break. Need to share the load and add a goal threat.

We definitely need at least one more striker IMHO.
Been a lot of tight games this season where we've dominated but have lacked the killer instinct in front of goal.

We definitely need at least one more striker IMHO.
Been a lot of tight games this season where we've dominated but have lacked the killer instinct in front of goal.

Completely agree - should be our biggest priority whatever league we find ourselves in next season.

If we do get promoted, do we stick with the three strikers we already have, or do we add to them?

I, for one, wouldn't get rid of any of the three.

2 more strikers needed, whether we go up or not. Hopefully 1 will do the business.