Ollie Burke - WBA happy to release him in January | Vital Football

Ollie Burke - WBA happy to release him in January

Our Kids Dad

Alert Team
Staff member
International Break - slow news day, but this article in the NEP caught my eye, although I suppose it's one of a few regarding Ollie doing the rounds.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/spor...uld-nottingham-forest-consider-trying-2107782

After leaving, OB has hardly set about realising the potential he showed at Forest - but he has been involved in a staggering £28m in transfers - from us to RB Leipzig and then, just a season later, over to WBA.

With the fees involved, you would certainly be wondering why his First Team involvement has been limited to just 1x 14 minute substitute appearance in the Championship this season?

He has featured in the Carabao Cup - but otherwise, he appears to limited to just reserve team & U21 competitions.

WBA have a very strong squad, but at 21 OB's development will be limited without game time & hence, some of the clickbait sites are suggesting Ollie's days at WBA are numbered, with a several scouts having watched him play in the EFL Trophy for WBA last week.

You would imagine the asking price is going to be high, to allow WBA to recoup some of their outlay, unless a suitable loan becomes available.

The Post's article basically asks whether Forest would be a suitable option?

Personally, I'm unsure whether Ollie would fit in and perhaps even see this potential move as a backward step, but with his best performances in The Garibaldi, could his career be re-ignited under AK - with the likes of Lolley, Dias, Cash & Ollie terrorising defences.

I've excluded Goncalves from that list of wingers, as I've yet to see him show his potential on the wing - I hope he does, but with just over 11 weeks until the transfer window opens again - it makes you wonder how active we will be in January?

I don't think he'd come back to Forest, but I do think the next move for OB is crucial and it will be interesting to see where he ends up!

I know he did, just like to keep an eye on how our former players are doing.... if you don't then fair enough.

That includes the loanees, like Cummings, Worrall, Clough & Walker - but, I'd always thought we were lucky to sell Ollie for what we got and for that kind of money, it's interesting to see how they progress with the pressure of such a huge price tag (x2).

As it stands, I'd rather have Lolley, Dias & Cash - but, I think we may well get a few clubs testing our own resolve in January - certainly for Lolley!

I think if we get a stupid offer for lolley in Jan then burke would be an ideal replacement.

I hope we keep lolley though

I think if we get a stupid offer for lolley in Jan then burke would be an ideal replacement.

I hope we keep lolley though

There will almost certainly be interest in Lolley - don't be shocked if WBA are one of those, Lolley is from the West Midlands originally.

If Burke is worth c£10m - what is Lolley worth?

That said - Joe is apparently very happy here & I'm hoping we keep hold of him, but you'd imagine that any business in January will be one in one out?

At the right price I would be interested as if you can get him going he practically guarantees goals at this level. Wouldn’t pay more than £8m though.

As for Lolley I think the main threat is if a Prem team goes after him. Not sure whether they would be offering the sort of fee we would demand for him though.

Lolley is at least under a long contract, not that it means much these days! This doesn't feel like a year in which our players would be chomping at the bit to leave. Everyone seems on it at the club and I don't expect us to sell.

He's 26, so I'm surprised he's only really come on to the radar now! Great player!

Is Brereton definitely sold, or could Blackburn send him back? Doesn't seem to have done much there, though I appreciate the fact that he is only young.

Lolley is having the best time of his footballing career....he should enjoy it...many players moved clubs thinking it was going to be greener on the other side...nd ended up being forgotten...to name one...the fella on the name of this thread...

Is Brereton definitely sold, or could Blackburn send him back? Doesn't seem to have done much there, though I appreciate the fact that he is only young.

My understanding is that it is contractually all done & dusted, with the transfer made permanent in January.

Apparently, FIFA/FA/FL etc are all looking into these loan to buy arrangements, as it appears to have been a way of trading after the transfer window had closed for permanent deals.

At the right price I would be interested as if you can get him going he practically guarantees goals at this level. Wouldn’t pay more than £8m though.

As for Lolley I think the main threat is if a Prem team goes after him. Not sure whether they would be offering the sort of fee we would demand for him though.

We signed Lolley from an EPL club & I can't imagine he'd be on the radar of the top clubs.

For the right wages and fee I'd be happy to have him back, subject to scouting reports and the manager getting the sense he's committed and driven.

He's got immense physical potential and has decent technical ability. 21 means there is still lots of time to get back on track. I think he also could learn to play up front.

Conversely if he goes elsewhere I'd not be too gutted, players returning rarely works out and we're moving in the right direction currently.

Fawaz played a blinder getting what we did for him

If we could get him for about £3m then lets talk

Last edited:
With hindsight it’s a shame in many respects that Burke was at our club and performing as he was under the old regime. Because right now he’d probably flourish under Karanka, but of course such was Fawaz’s need to raise money urgently that he was whipped from under our noses to finance the ongoing needs of the club. Never mind, we will never know.

Personally I don’t see us spending the mind of money WBA are likely to demand as I can’t see them wanting to lose as much as 50% of what they bought him for, which essentially would most likely price us out. Furthermore, if we do have that kind of money to spend in January I’d like to see us strengthen other areas of the team rather than go in for Burke.

Speed is something you can't teach and Burke had speed. However his control and trickery on the ball was non existent. He was a big unit and could develop in to an excellent striker. If we have money to spend I would want cover for Geddy. We have strikers and numerous players behind the front striker. We have an abundance of workmanlike midfielders but if Geddy isn't playing we lack invention, spark and speed of pass. Pep is likely to be injured at some stage this season and although we have got away with defensive players holding in various games we have also played poorly in others. Depends on the style of opposition. If we have any money to spend then it ought to be on a constructive passing midfielder.

Having Lolley and Cash in the team, perhaps Sterling?