Oliver Skipp - Player Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Oliver Skipp - Player Thread

He should have played more for us last year. He showed he was capable of doing a job if given the chance. Especially when the alternative is Sissoko.

If he was given more time I think he would be much closer to staying with us for this season. But glad he has a loan and a promising start to show what he is capable of.

Manager has been criticising on-loan Tottenham prospect behind closed doors

john_verrall_profile_pic_63906.jpg

John Verrall
40 minutes ago

Daniel Farke has told the Pink’Un that he has criticised Tottenham Hotspur loanee Oliver Skipp already.
Skipp has earned rave reviews from Norwich City fans since he joined them on loan from Tottenham earlier this summer, and he has started both of their Championship matches to date.
The Spurs youngster’s start to life at Carrow Road has been very encouraging.

But Farke is determined to keep the teenager’s feet on the ground, and insists there is plenty he needs to improve on.

“He might have got praise outside the camp after Huddersfield, but I can promise you he also got criticism inside because there were some topics where he can improve,” Farke said.

“I am always careful not to praise young lads too soon.

“When you bring in a lad like Oliver Skipp and you are asking him to replace proper players who have been important for us in recent seasons, like Tom Trybull or Moritz Leitner, you have to be sure he was the right choice. We were unbelievably careful.

“In terms of his skills he is good for our possession way, tidy and clean in his passes, makes good vertical passes and he also offers physicality. He wins plenty of balls.

“He still has to work on the tactical behaviour and the decision-making, when to stay in the centre and when to step out.

“Even after good games we can talk about these things.”

Farke is no stranger to criticising Tottenham’s youngsters, as he publicly did so to Marcus Edwards when he was on loan at Carrow Road.

Skipp has helped Norwich stay unbeaten so far and he looks likely to retain his place, even though his manager seemingly has very high standards.

Norwich are next in action against fellow newly relegated side Bournemouth on Sunday.

Manager has been criticising on-loan Tottenham prospect behind closed doors

john_verrall_profile_pic_63906.jpg

John Verrall
40 minutes ago

Daniel Farke has told the Pink’Un that he has criticised Tottenham Hotspur loanee Oliver Skipp already.
Skipp has earned rave reviews from Norwich City fans since he joined them on loan from Tottenham earlier this summer, and he has started both of their Championship matches to date.
The Spurs youngster’s start to life at Carrow Road has been very encouraging.

But Farke is determined to keep the teenager’s feet on the ground, and insists there is plenty he needs to improve on.

“He might have got praise outside the camp after Huddersfield, but I can promise you he also got criticism inside because there were some topics where he can improve,” Farke said.

“I am always careful not to praise young lads too soon.

“When you bring in a lad like Oliver Skipp and you are asking him to replace proper players who have been important for us in recent seasons, like Tom Trybull or Moritz Leitner, you have to be sure he was the right choice. We were unbelievably careful.

“In terms of his skills he is good for our possession way, tidy and clean in his passes, makes good vertical passes and he also offers physicality. He wins plenty of balls.

“He still has to work on the tactical behaviour and the decision-making, when to stay in the centre and when to step out.

“Even after good games we can talk about these things.”

Farke is no stranger to criticising Tottenham’s youngsters, as he publicly did so to Marcus Edwards when he was on loan at Carrow Road.

Skipp has helped Norwich stay unbeaten so far and he looks likely to retain his place, even though his manager seemingly has very high standards.

Norwich are next in action against fellow newly relegated side Bournemouth on Sunday.
Simple really he is learning, that's the loan system for you.

Did anyone see the tackle on Skippy today . Could have been a season ending challenge . Not sure how he is . Straight red to the other bloke . Awful tackle

I've been keeping an eye on the lad since the start of the season and am cautiously optimistic about his future. Rarely do we loan out a 20 year old who plays every game for a Championship side, let alone one that is leading the league and favourites to win the title. Looks like he's becoming comfortable in his DM role and definitely needs to work a little more on beating a man, but the most encouraging thing I've seen is how the senior players at Norwich are willing to give him the ball. They know they can trust him.

He's also got a mature head on his young shoulders.

If Norwich get promoted I wouldn't be mad if we left him there for next season so he can get PL experience as a starter.

There is one part of me thinking that Skipp can come back and contribute at spurs. That is especially when I watch Sissoko :-)

The other part of me thinks that he might be Prem / Top Championship but not top 4 material.

We also know what has happened with Jose this season. He has often been found out prioritizing work-rate, attitude, discipline etc over talent and football brains. I'm not surprised he loves Skipp and there's no harm in elevating his transfer value by some kind words. Let's hope it is not that though.

As always happens every season, once the PL gets to the boring stage of the season, I'll start watching Championship games.

There is one part of me thinking that Skipp can come back and contribute at spurs. That is especially when I watch Sissoko :-)

The other part of me thinks that he might be Prem / Top Championship but not top 4 material.

We also know what has happened with Jose this season. He has often been found out prioritizing work-rate, attitude, discipline etc over talent and football brains. I'm not surprised he loves Skipp and there's no harm in elevating his transfer value by some kind words. Let's hope it is not that though.

As always happens every season, once the PL gets to the boring stage of the season, I'll start watching Championship games.

Good post.

:LOL: I feel ya!

Yeah, it's how I felt about Harry Kane in the beginning, didn't think he was as shite as some, but was capable of having a decent to good career for himself. I think Winksy is at the stage where we actually realise this; not good enough for top 4 but can find a level for himself where he can excel, maybe even in France or Spain where the tempo is a tad less frantic and might suit his possession based game.

I agree, and that's why I'm cautious about my optimism! No doubting Skipp is a battler and I also love that in a player (its the number one reason why I don't go all Richmond on Lamela :rolleyes:) but I'd also like to see him drive on. Too many times he turns it down when some space opens up, and when he does go for it it, does okay but gets carried away and tries to beat 2 or 3. He's got potential there and he'll need to add that if he's going to be a top 4 player.

As always happens every season, once the PL gets to the boring stage of the season, I'll start watching Championship games

I've seen about half a dozen games, and Norwich City and a few others post "Every Touch" by a player videos, which is a nice indicator of how a player performed on/winning the ball, even if it does omit what the guy was doing for the full 90!

So Oliver has got a "serious" foot injury.

No news yet whether he'll be fit for the new season. Just shows how cruel football can be at times.
Isn't that what derailed Alex Pritchard's career? He was another most talked about academy graduate.

Hope Skipp recovers. At least one of ours has a medal to show off!