Oliver Skipp - Player Thread | Vital Football

Oliver Skipp - Player Thread

D

Departed

So....long ago I learned that you cannot successfully predict who will be successful and who won't. Judging too early is dangerous. The latest, who we ALL naffed up on is Sissoko.

Olly (Skippy is a stupid name) deserves the time and patience of the supporters. He hasn't cost us any points. And MP believes he deserves the opportunity to prove himself. Probably better to let MP decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
What was Skipps brief from Poch ?

Keep it simple, support Winks, drop deep if Danny bombs forward, fight to close down when we don't have the ball ?

I remember Winks in his first few games, actually longer than that because he has been encouraged to add an attacking element to his game. I knew he had more in his locker but the responsibility in MF is primarily to keep the ball , create and distribute.

As 80 says Poch sees what Skipp has and is giving him a chance. I saw a couple of passes go astray from him but they were probing ones, he was putting the ball into crowded areas upfield and it didn't come off, partly due to his understanding of what our players need and expect I suspect.

As for his name...Skippy was a super intelligent Bush Kanagaroo , fast over the ground, amazing leaping ability. He is also the dog next door who is a bit thick to be honest and is constantly trying to mount my dog who ain't having none of it, she put him in his place the other day, Randy little mutt.

If it wasn't for skippy, we wouldn't have been in a position to score the second - his closing down of their full back and the subsequent rebound off him, helped set us up to nick one.

I thought Skipp had a great game, for a young un particularly, but I was impressed with his industry and his general play. I thought his passing was creative and his strength was good, particularly in not being intimidated but instead being decisive.

If it wasn't for skippy, we wouldn't have been in a position to score the second - his closing down of their full back and the subsequent rebound off him, helped set us up to nick one.

his arms were by his sides, not a handball in vast vast majority of cases when hit at point blank and your arms are in a natural position.

Nowhere near ready. Needs a loan. The only reason he is getting any time is because we have not signed anyone for over a year. Injuries have also helped.

I still think Amos was in the managers plans but his injury stopped that.

He works hard but I don't see much else at the moment.

Poch has had him training with the first team and he has impressed enough to get his chances. Whether or not he goes on to perform at the level needed remains to be seen. He is only 18 so to get where he is perhaps is an indicator of his potential.

Our loanees don't seem to be doing all that. CCV is out of favour at the Swans, Onamah is Onamah, very inconsistent, Ogilvie is 22 so time seems to be running out. Edwards is doing ok but not in English football so difficult to judge.

He is only 18 so to get where he is perhaps is an indicator of his potential.

More like an indicator of how poor our academy is if none of the 19, 20, 21, 22 yr olds can make it in to the 1st team. Still can't find a striker amongst the kids who could improve us over Llorente or Jannsen.

As leTissier said about Winks, he does simple things well (give/take) but anything creative he fails on, but followed up by saying, age is on his side. We have been forced to field a midfield of an 18 yr old rookie and a 'still learning' Winks. We've (Poch) got away with. Like someone said on another thread, we're riding our luck.

More like an indicator of how poor our academy is if none of the 19, 20, 21, 22 yr olds can make it in to the 1st team. Still can't find a striker amongst the kids who could improve us over Llorente or Jannsen.

As leTissier said about Winks, he does simple things well (give/take) but anything creative he fails on, but followed up by saying, age is on his side. We have been forced to field a midfield of an 18 yr old rookie and a 'still learning' Winks. We've (Poch) got away with. Like someone said on another thread, we're riding our luck.

I think Poch knows that if he is to get his primary transfer targets, they will cost serious money in the summer. That will mean he has to integrate kids into the squad to balance numbers.

Personally, I haven't seen anything special with Skipp, Amos or Marsh. They are all moulded into the Spurs way, but none of them get me excited. The one I hear good stuff about is Jack Roles. He's more in your Dele Alli mould though and plays further forward.

Troy Parrot is making waves at 17. He is possibly pushing for a place already.

I think Poch knows that if he is to get his primary transfer targets, they will cost serious money in the summer. That will mean he has to integrate kids into the squad to balance numbers.

Personally, I haven't seen anything special with Skipp, Amos or Marsh. They are all moulded into the Spurs way, but none of them get me excited. The one I hear good stuff about is Jack Roles. He's more in your Dele Alli mould though and plays further forward.

Look how long it took Kane to develop. Very promising as a kid then kind of levelled out for a few years then bang. It's the ingredients in the bowl that are important, then it's fingers crossed you have found a gem. We almost gave up on Kane. These youngsters develop at different speeds. They attain a certain level then it's a small percentage that make it to top level.

Skipp is ahead of schedule probably at his age. As is Parrot. Got to be patient and give them the stage. Skipp will have learnt a hell of a lot in those 71 minutes as will have Poch.

Not sure what some of you lot are watching really (Edit: Referring mostly to the negativity this kid has gotten in the game thread, ovbiously not so much so far here...). Skipp was given a job, on the left similar to Sissoko's job on the right, albeit alot more reserved overall, but the system was in place. The kid did EXACTLY as he was tasked with doing. I've watched the match a couple times, and if I were Poch, I'd have rated Skipp a 9.5

It wasn't a flashy performance, but it was rock solid. His defensive positioning off the ball was spot on, his LB coverage working with Vert & Winks was excellent, he looks forward with the pass, pretty effective taking the ball away, and his turn & pass awareness is really quite spectacular at times. Love this kid.

He got tired, around the hour. Reminded me of Davies in the CL matches. He got a bit slower in recovery, but he was doing the right things. I'd expect the atmosphere takes a bit out of a kid in that important of a spot, but up till that point I was super impressed. Again, I don't think he became a liability, he just obviously tired, and I think Poch made the sub at the right time.

Now I would've preferred a Skipp/Victor sub and pushed Winks into Skipp's spot, and continued with the formation that had dominated the match, but he changed systems and it got weird.

Bright future for Oliver Skipp.

Last edited:
I get why we have had him training with the squad. But he isn't ready. I'm not writing him off just being realistic at this stage. A loan will help him.

I am sure someone will explain why, but our non loaning out of players is a complete mystery - KWP is standing still and the same will happen to Skipp when we bring in a new CM (chortle)

They need to play football.

Look how long it took Kane to develop. Very promising as a kid then kind of levelled out for a few years then bang. It's the ingredients in the bowl that are important, then it's fingers crossed you have found a gem. We almost gave up on Kane. These youngsters develop at different speeds. They attain a certain level then it's a small percentage that make it to top level.

Skipp is ahead of schedule probably at his age. As is Parrot. Got to be patient and give them the stage. Skipp will have learnt a hell of a lot in those 71 minutes as will have Poch.

You never know with these kids. For me, I would say that first impressions of Winks, Carroll, Bentaleb, Onomah have got me a lot more excited than Skipp, Marsh and Amos and before that Mason. Even Dier was 18 months younger than Amos is now when he first joined. He probably moved up into that midfield area when he was about 22. It's tough in the middle of the park nowadays and temperament and tactics are massive.

That's why Skipp has done OK. In pre-season and I believe in the U23's he was more the attacking influence in midfield. In the first team he's had to play slightly differently and do the defensive work.