Oliver Skipp - Player Thread | Vital Football

Oliver Skipp - Player Thread

D

Departed

So you could usually tell how great a player will become by my assessment of his innate ability. The worse I think the player is the bigger a superstar he will be.

I've been reading opinions from all various sources and the general consensus is very positive. Movement, positioning, passing all good.

So you could usually tell how great a player will become by my assessment of his innate ability. The worse I think the player is the bigger a superstar he will be.

I've been reading opinions from all various sources and the general consensus is very positive. Movement, positioning, passing all good.

Much to prove, but for his age, looks very composed, occassionally obviously inexperienced; teh next 24 months will tell us everything we need to know and time is on his side.

I wouldn't judge him now as he's due a growth spurt and needs to add some muscle and that might change him/his game - alot.

If you work back through Poch's tenure there was a massive gesture by him to back Winks and remove guys like Mason and Bentaleb. He created space for our young midfielder to thrive as our supersub that could close out games. He also started a few of course and injuries aside had quite a nice trajectory to being part of the core as a 22 year old.

Perhaps different for Skipp though. He's only just turned 18 and due to injuries been thrown into the mix early. Part of me thinks that he'd form part of the core 5 midfielders that Poch has in his squad for the 19/20 season. That would mean that Dembele and Wanyama leave and we only bring in one replacement. My hunch is saying that it won't play out like that though. Skipp will be a 6th option and a clear opportunity to fight for his place with the other 5.

Potential for sure, as people have said I don't see him being much better than Mason/Bentaleb/Winks (maybe harsh on Winks) but you never know.

Certainly a decent future in the game regardless.

Mason was fragile and pretty lightweight but intelligent, Bentaleb had attitude issues and became prone to serious errors..Winks is still developing and has a serious injury which still may be a problem.

Skipp is way ahead of his age both in mental maturity and physical. He is pretty chunky already and terrier like in his play.

We have a crop of young MF players in Skipp, Marsh, Amos and Winks , apart from Amos they are like little Scott Parker clones. I would say Skipp is the most likely to make it other than Winks who already has really.

Ages and appearances.....interesting stuff.

Skipp - 16/09/2000 (Age 18) - 7 Spurs
Marsh - 05/11/98 (Age 20) - 1 Spurs
Amos - 23/02/1997 (Age 21) - 1 Spurs, 19 Loan
Josh - 27/04/1997 (Age 21) - 32 Spurs, 39 Loan
Winks - 02/02/1996 (Age 22) - 87 Spurs

5 centre mids all vying to get a long term career at Spurs under Poch.

Skipp will need the understanding that you can get the adulation early in your career and somewhat disappear like Josh. Alternatively, you can show patience and wait for your chance like Winks has. Either way, you have to trust Poch with your destiny and get your head down.

Skipp will need the understanding that you can get the adulation early in your career and somewhat disappear like Josh. Alternatively, you can show patience and wait for your chance like Winks has. Either way, you have to trust Poch with your destiny and get your head down.

Great post M.

Very interesting. Hence my point about Skipp being beyond his years development wise. The 3 Parker clones....no loans. !!

Still in two minds over Skippy at the moment. Winks looked far superior at the same age.

Before his injury it looked like Poch was going to give Amos the push. Will be interesting when he is back and training.

In case there is no player thread for him ....cos I couldn't see one.
Happy birthday Skippy, just turned 19 and completed his A levels !!
That brings it home how young he is and smart too.
I'm a bit disappointed he has not played more this season . George Marsh got MOM on his debut for Leyton Orient aged 20. Maybe Skipp needs a loan ?

In case there is no player thread for him ....cos I couldn't see one.
Happy birthday Skippy, just turned 19 and completed his A levels !!
That brings it home how young he is and smart too.
I'm a bit disappointed he has not played more this season . George Marsh got MOM on his debut for Leyton Orient aged 20. Maybe Skipp needs a loan ?

Leyton Orient are League Two. Skipp might need a loan, but hopefully would find a higher level.

We need him. There are a lot of games left and if we are to finish the PL with better form than last season we will need everyone available now.

We need him. There are a lot of games left and if we are to finish the PL with better form than last season we will need everyone available now.

In recent years, as well as we have done, our depth simply hasn't been deep and good enough; I think this year we won't have that excuse.

There is a brief video of Skipp playing for England U 21s against the Netherlands recently. Worth a look, very combative and lively. Kind of a more aggressive Winks .

There is a brief video of Skipp playing for England U 21s against the Netherlands recently. Worth a look, very combative and lively. Kind of a more aggressive Winks .

Glad he's getting England U21 recognition. Considering he's only just turned 19, that in itself is impressive. He actually looked really good in pre-season.

I just wish he was a RB and always wonder what would happen if we put him there.

Anyone know about Skipp’s contract situation? His current one expires next year. Has he been offered an extension?

Anyone know about Skipp’s contract situation? His current one expires next year. Has he been offered an extension?

I think we'll know shortly, but there are alot of clubs who've been tracking him and so I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes one of those who slips away come the summer.

After watching KWP's career, I couldn't blame Skipp for seeking pastures new. Jose's included him in squads but never once looked like using him. I hope he signs though as clearly that gives the club a decent transfer value if he leaves.

I thought he looked really good in pre-season though.

Thought it worth pulling Skipp's thread back to the top after it disappeared from the foreground of this forum.....like the player himself all season.

So behind the loss, the Jose discussions, the Dier shenanigans etc there was a 19 year old that played 120 mins last night. A lad that gave away a silly foul on the edge of our 18 yard box and had to navigate a serious chunk of that game on a yellow. A lad that burst through in extra time and then got a nosebleed.

All in all though, I think Oliver should be chuffed to bits with his contribution last night. He showed passion and commitment for the club and a load of maturity. I'm guessing he'll never be a world beater but do think he has something to contribute with his energy and tenacity. He also showed a load of classy one touches and short passes mixed in.

Whilst everyone wants to talk about Parrott, I think young Skipp deserves some conversation.