O'Leary | Vital Football

O'Leary

Fred used to keep us in the Rainham End amused during the second half! I think O'Leary was more interested in taking the odd fan 'outside'!!

I liked the second half atmosphere last night. Plenty of support and plenty of grief to the ref and opposition no matter how mild the misdemeanour.

I liked the second half atmosphere last night. Plenty of support and plenty of grief to the ref and opposition no matter how mild the misdemeanour.

The best atmospheres are the ones with a bit of needle. Their keeper getting rattled and Ricketts comments are music to my ears, tells you that teams don't like coming to Priestfield. Evans and Raynor set the tone in terms of protesting and fighting for every decision, important us fans keep it going as well.

The best atmospheres are the ones with a bit of needle. Their keeper getting rattled and Ricketts comments are music to my ears, tells you that teams don't like coming to Priestfield. Evans and Raynor set the tone in terms of protesting and fighting for every decision, important us fans keep it going as well.

Fully agree. For the first time in many years, opposition teams now don’t seem to like playing Gills. And don’t like coming to Priestfield. We are big meanies who don’t play nicely. It’s no longer a “stroll in the park and grab 3pts on your way out thanks”.

It’s funny how that coincides with us beating them and being no pushovers any more. We’d been too nice for a while.

Fully agree. For the first time in many years, opposition teams now don’t seem to like playing Gills. And don’t like coming to Priestfield. We are big meanies who don’t play nicely. It’s no longer a “stroll in the park and grab 3pts on your way out thanks”.

It’s funny how that coincides with us beating them and being no pushovers any more. We’d been too nice for a while.
We just need Ken Price to pop down now and then to kick the shit out of the odd player in the tunnel 😉

Happy days

We just need Ken Price to pop down now and then to kick the shit out of the odd player in the tunnel 😉

Happy days
I was at that match. At the time I had no idea what had gone on though ( both Swine games actually).

I wonder how many Gills fans there are left who actually went to both games. A dozen or so? It amuses me to hear the Rainham end singing about the Swine when they weren't even born then.

Any other posters on here at both? I had to travel down from Coventry for them. Swindon quite close.

Last edited:
I w

As at that match. At the time I had no idea what had gone on though ( both Swine games actually).

I wonder how many Gills fans there are left who actually went to both games. A dozen or so? It amuses me to hear the Rainham end singing about the Swine when they weren't even born then.

Any other posters on here at both? I had to travel down from Coventry for them. Swindon quite close.

Are you on about the late 70’s(?) games. 2-2 at ours and the 1-3 at theirs that basically put paid to our promo hopes. I was at both.

I don’t think any of us fans knew exactly what had gone on in the tunnel at the time.

I do remember the old guy jumping the fence and lamping the ref. Now, I don’t agree with violence at all, and I don’t condone taking it out on referees. Honestly. But that was funny as back then and I think there were 8000 folk inside Priestfield all felt like doing the same 👍

He certainly got a resounding cheer.

I was at that match. At the time I had no idea what had gone on though ( both Swine games actually).

I was at both. Went on a football special for the away game. Can't remember why but the journey started at Rainham station. Perhaps that was one of the pick up points.

Ray McHale. Utter knob and I shall think that till I die and no one will tell me, "let it go" Anyone else who was involved in those games will feel the same.

Yup, was at both matches. 4 of us went back then, drove down to delightful Swindon in my trusty Anglia, and even managed to get a space in their car park. Had to be a little discreet when returning to the car as there were a few hundred marauding Swine hooligans wanting to get at our fans and our coaches were in the same car park. What a charming lot they were.

Remember being marched by the police from the station to the ground, with rakes of SwinScum lining the route.
With Swindon very likely to be promoted perhaps we'll get 10K plus for the home game ; if Evans still here then, I cant see the game ending with any managers, assistants, or many players being left on the pitch

From the bits I saw of O’Leary yesterday, I think it’s in very bad taste to mention him alongside the legend that is Freddie Barber.
The Shrews have just signed another goalie !! so maybe O'Leary last game for a while; unless Evans likes his 'character' so much he signs him up quick