old pubs in Birmingham | Vital Football

old pubs in Birmingham

Barney2004

Vital 1st Team Regular
i cant think , for the life of me what this pub used to be called.

Think of the newt and cucumber (which has gone now) it was the one along from there opposite the back entrance of the bulington hotel.... anyone have any ideas what it was called.? Must have shut its doors 16 years ago....

Come to think of it, theres loads of pubs that have gone now!

Was that the one done out in a bit of a railway theme due to it's proximity New Street Station?

I can't think what it was called either - if the one you meant........

Pride of Lions - 9/12/2013 16:38

Was that the one done out in a bit of a railway theme due to it's proximity New Street Station?

not sure mate, but it was a right hole the one im on about. It was under the pallasades.

I dont remember one there - just Bacchus Bar opposite and Royal Mail a bit further up the road.

When I first started work I went in a pub that was actually in the subway under colmore circus called 'The Brown Derby' the weirdest and worst pub I've ever been to in town.

My favorite now gone pub in town was colmores at the back of the grand. It was a bit of a secret underground place and had cheap booze, a pool table, massive telly with sports on and it stayed open late - perfect for a good booze up with your mates.

Back in my day I was a regular at Key Largo, Quo vadis, Fibber McGees, Central Park, Stoodi bakers, Branigans, The Glasshouse, Yates's, Bennetts and loads more I cant think of.

Did anyone ever go in the Sputnik? - I always wanted to but never did.

Interesting website for you:

http://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/lostpubs

Barney2004 - 9/12/2013 23:39

not sure mate, but it was a right hole the one im on about. It was under the pallasades.

Oh, that one. It was the old Berni Inn steak house/bar..... at the bottom of Stephenson Street. Or are you on about the Guilded Cage?

James06 - 9/12/2013 16:44

I dont remember one there - just Bacchus Bar opposite and Royal Mail a bit further up the road.

When I first started work I went in a pub that was actually in the subway under colmore circus called 'The Brown Derby' the weirdest and worst pub I've ever been to in town.

My favorite now gone pub in town was colmores at the back of the grand. It was a bit of a secret underground place and had cheap booze, a pool table, massive telly with sports on and it stayed open late - perfect for a good booze up with your mates.

Back in my day I was a regular at Key Largo, Quo vadis, Fibber McGees, Central Park, Stoodi bakers, Branigans, The Glasshouse, Yates's, Bennetts and loads more I cant think of.

Did anyone ever go in the Sputnik? - I always wanted to but never did.

Interesting website for you:

http://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/lostpubs

defo one there mate, full of scum. A cocks and buckets kinda pub... there used to be a row of shops opposit the back entrance of the burlington and it was in the middle of them. A pub you would expect to see on shameless.

Pride of Lions - 9/12/2013 16:45

Oh, that one. It was the old Berni Inn steak house/bar..... at the bottom of Stephenson Street. Or are you on about the Guilded Cage?

you're in the wrong place mate... back of the burlington hotel... the old midland hotel.

Barney2004 - 9/12/2013 23:47

you're in the wrong place mate... back of the burlington hotel... the old midland hotel.

Then it's the Station Bar.....

There was a canalside one i used to like near broard street can't think of the bloody name now, but also the student bar used to be good in erdington or edgbasten way can't remember its by the university had some corkers out there when i was younger hehe

Pride of Lions - 9/12/2013 16:49

Barney2004 - 9/12/2013 23:47

Then it's the Station Bar.....

i dont remember it as that mate. Did it change its name in the 90's?

here was a pub actually inside the old new street station called the station bar I think (took a lot of thought naming that!).

I reckon the amount of trains I missed by staying in there for 'just one more' probably ran into hundreds!

Barney2004 - 9/12/2013 23:52

ClivetheVillan - 9/12/2013 16:50

There was a canalside one i used to like near broard street

something browns?

Bobby Browns in Canal Street was on the side of the canal just off Broad Street. Used to be called The Opposite Lock before that. There is another nice little place nearer to the to[ of Canal Street, but I can't remember what that was called.......

The place im thinking about wasnt actually inside new st...

Anyone remember the crusader on fiveways?

Clive you mean the Tap and Spile I think

Don't know Barneys pub sorry but I used to go in the Nelson