Old e mail addresses. | Vital Football

Old e mail addresses.

astonion2

Vital 1st Team Regular
The reason for starting this thread is warn everyone to be aware that hackers may be able to get into your old addresses and then using the info in there to run up large debts in your name. I have read an article in a site called Thisismoney. Sorry I cant do the link but perhaps someone who can will do it for me. Completely out of the blue a bloke got a letter from Santander wanting him to start making payments off his credit card that had £6000 outstanding on it.
He did'nt have a card with Santander or even an account with them. The hackers had used his old address to get the info to get the Credit card.
I think most of us will have had more than one e mail account at sometime in the past. If you can remember your password and can still get into them make sure you do and delete all the info in there and then close the account down completely.

Basic password hygiene, have a completely different password for email addresses and financial services etc than you do for anything else! Most accounts are hacked because of reused passwords, realistically no one will have a different password for everything they use online but on critical personal stuff it should genuinely be unique, nothing like you use for anything else etc.

Offen passwords get “leaked” online when hackers attack a popular website, and they steal the usernames, email addresses and passwords for all the users on the site. It’s usually a website that gets hacked and causes the leak, rather than individuals so there’s a risk your passwords may be “out there” even if you’ve done nothing wrong. In fact the chances are your passwords are out there and there are some services which will alert you to this e.g. some antivirus providers and there’s also a website which allows you to enter a password and it will say if and where it has been leaked.

So as a bare minimum you have to have different passwords for things like emails etc as these hackers then prey on people using the same credentials that they’ve nicked from whatever site it was.

how do you kill off old email addresses ? i used to have one with tiscali who i'm not sure even exist anymore