Oh Alan alan | Vital Football

Oh Alan alan

89spartans_12/03/77

Vital Squad Member
Just watched a clip of old sniffer. Saw him play a few times once when he scored for Leeds at sheff Utd 1975ish?
Made we think of the Lincoln city managers I’d seen play in my time?
Quite a few surprisingly.
Did David Herd play in that famous testimonial? If so I saw him.

Are you talking about Alan Clarke when he was manager in 1990. Another disastrous appointment I can remember hearing about his appointment on the radio when I was coming down Yarborough Hill.

Had the misfortune to meet him while he was at Lincoln. All he did was slag of Lincoln and backward Lincolnshire people and talk about his glorious time at Leeds and great Yorkshire folk and how us Yellowbellies' weren't made of the same stuff.

I thought Filippin Heck mate you are Lincoln manager and saying all these things. Then I thought to myself what a t-at!

Yes that’s the man Casper. There aren’t many Lincoln managers that have done particularly well at the City helm. Steve Wicks was another Ive seen play and manage City. He was bloody awful here.

Well to counter the point we obviously had Big Keith who the majority on here would have seen play and manage us and no-one is going to say he did a bad job at the helm

Steve Thompson did Ok as a manager but better as a player. John Scofield started fantastically as a manager but couldn't keep it going. Sam Ellis' time in the dugout wasn't great but not enough to spoil the memory of his playing time.

Bit too young to have seen Taylor play for us.

Must have seen Peter Jackson play against us for either Bradford or Huddersfield in the 80's/early 90's.

Just watched a clip of old sniffer. Saw him play a few times once when he scored for Leeds at sheff Utd 1975ish?
Made we think of the Lincoln city managers I’d seen play in my time?
Quite a few surprisingly.
Did David Herd play in that famous testimonial? If so I saw him.

If you mean the testimonial match for Nobby Lawton in March 1972, yes, David Herd did play (and score).

Allan Clarke played at Sincil Bank in the testimonial match for Trevor Meath in December 1972.

As for other managers, I don't suppose there's anyone still around who saw Con Moulson play. For myself, and going back a bit, I remember Roy Chapman as player-manager, saw Bert Loxley in one or two of the games he played, and saw Graham Taylor play lots of times (I AM old enough!) and also score a goal.

Also saw George Kerr play for Scunthorpe and John Pickering for Halifax.

Never saw David Herd, Willie Bell or Allan Clarke play.

Clarke made a huge impression at Lincoln. This appeared in the April 1991 edition of Deranged Ferret!:

'The Legend Of The Lincoln Imp

One stormy day back in the mists of time, the devil experienced a particularly bad day and decided to vent his fury in as fiendish a way as he could imagine. He thought and thought and thought again until he could think no more, and eventually he hit upon a plan that made him laugh until he cried. Without further delay he put his scheme into motion, and set loose all the little demons he possessed. One of these demons was carried on the wind to the ancient city of Lincoln, where it was immediately appointed manager and renamed Allan Clarke.

The little demon immediately began to wreak as much havoc as it possibly could, and in next to no time had brought the city to its knees. A succession of brave warriors tried to remove the demon: the fearsome army from Stockport, the deadly Crewe legions, even the impressive forces of Darlington had no effect upon the imp, and it carried on its acts of destruction as determinedly as ever. There seemed no escape at all.

But the local townspeople fought tooth and nail against the ignorance of the demon and, assisted by two brave warriors named Reames and Thompson, they turned on the naughty imp and said, "Evil imp, be banished to Scunthorpe."

And it was.'

Both the April and February editions are full of Clarke-related jibes. Hard to believe he was only here for four months. I can't recall any other figure in the last 50 years who provoked such ill-feeling in so short a space of time. Liam Hearn, perhaps?

Blimey, I thought it was Terry Collier at first. Still, it looks as though he has a firm grip on things.

Clarke made a huge impression at Lincoln. This appeared in the April 1991 edition of Deranged Ferret!:

One stormy day back in the mists of time, the devil experienced a particularly bad day and decided to vent his fury in as fiendish a way as he could imagine. He thought and thought and thought again until he could think no more, and eventually he hit upon a plan that made him laugh until he cried. Without further delay he put his scheme into motion, and set loose all the little demons he possessed. One of these demons was carried on the wind to the ancient city of Lincoln, where it was immediately appointed manager and renamed Allan Clarke.

The little demon immediately began to wreak as much havoc as it possibly could, and in next to no time had brought the city to its knees. A succession of brave warriors tried to remove the demon: the fearsome army from Stockport, the deadly Crewe legions, even the impressive forces of Darlington had no effect upon the imp, and it carried on its acts of destruction as determinedly as ever. There seemed no escape at all.

But the local townspeople fought tooth and nail against the ignorance of the demon and, assisted by two brave warriors named Reames and Thompson, they turned on the naughty imp and said, "Evil imp, be banished to Scunthorpe."

And it was.'

Both the April and February editions are full of Clarke-related jibes. Hard to believe he was only here for four months. I can't recall any other figure in the last 50 years who provoked such ill-feeling in so short a space of time. Liam Hearn, perhaps?

Clarke was with us for 5-6 months. That’s 5-6 months too long. Horrible bloke from what I remember. The alternative was Barry Fry, IIRC, so damned if you did, or damned if you didn’t, appoint him!

And it was.'

Those fanzines were fantastic things. Full of honest opinions on the good the bad and the ugly.