October return | Page 6 | Vital Football

October return

I’ve got a few things from these guys and can fully recommend the quality for good prices. They are basically prints on to fruit of the loom type T-Shirts. They did do some excellent reprints of some of the 80s “Chatham Maritime” shirts with the zig-zags, some time back. I am not surprised they are using their initiative doing the face masks. I am not sure about how copyright works, but haven’t got an issue with it as they are exploiting a gap that the club hasn’t bothered to exploit, whether it be retro shirts or facemasks. I looked on the club website some time ago as wanted to get a face mask - other clubs and Kent CCC are doing them for example - but nothing from GFC. I thought they’d be looking to capitalise on any way of making money at the moment. Why not open up the club shop as online only with limited staff, sell off all of last seasons leftovers and sell some facemasks?
If you fancy a nice retro shirt, Toffs do a couple including what I call the "Steve Bruce Bukta" shirt from 1977-80

My all time favourite shirt

https://www.toffs.com/gillingham-1977-1980-bukta-retro-football-shirt

One question Rehmen Chishti could ask the PM is can the Royal Albert Hall sell tickets for concerts etc. for up to 59.6% of their capacity situated inside. though outside sporting events cannot sell any. My source, is Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail. The cut and paste doesn't seem to work on this laptop. 59.6% of our capacity is 6528, that is higher than our average gate, so why is there one rule for 'the classics' and one rule for the rest of us?

Exactly!! The Royal Albert 'Hall' is an indoor venue with entrances little different to accessing as a football ground apart from most attendees will need to use public transport. Therefore pleasing a few thousand wealthy folk indoors seems more important than a few hundred thousand occupying far smaller percentage of their outdoor venues!!

One question Rehmen Chishti could ask the PM is can the Royal Albert Hall sell tickets for concerts etc. for up to 59.6% of their capacity situated inside. though outside sporting events cannot sell any. My source, is Martin Samuel in the Daily Mail. The cut and paste doesn't seem to work on this laptop. 59.6% of our capacity is 6528, that is higher than our average gate, so why is there one rule for 'the classics' and one rule for the rest of us?
If this was true I would have guessed that "the science" says people rarely get excited at a classical concert.....:oops:

https://www.royalalberthall.com/abo...vent-been-cancelled-rescheduled-or-postponed/
.....but at first sight, the RAH seems to have cancelled and rescheduled all events.
(.....unless the DM thinks the RAH is about to re-open).

If this was true I would have guessed that "the science" says people rarely get excited at a classical concert.....:oops:

https://www.royalalberthall.com/abo...vent-been-cancelled-rescheduled-or-postponed/
.....but at first sight, the RAH seems to have cancelled and rescheduled all events.
(.....unless the DM thinks the RAH is about to re-open).

I've got about a dozen concerts that I was supposed to see in 2020 which all but one has been rescheduled for next year although I expect the single one to reschedule at some point. I also last month managed to get tickets for Thunder despite venues not guarenteed to be open in the spring of next year.

What the RAH is doing is really no difference to what all the other venues are doing, including the two concerts I had tickets for in Germany. I'd wager that most venues are happy in prinicple to take bookings for next year as the deposits from performers bring in that little bit of extra cash at this time.

Borussia Dortmund vs Freiburg had an attendance of 11,500 today. Pretty impressive if it worked safely.
After recently visiting Germany and seeing how the "directions" seem to be adhered to so much better than here, this is a figure we (UK) can only dream of for some months I fear 😔

So Johnson urges people to visit cinemas (you know, those places where you sit in a seat with a few hundred others to watch a film for a couple of hours indoors) after Cineworld threatens closure. No mention of limited attendance (already prepared and planned for by clubs) to watch football outside.
This is getting dafter by the day.

So Johnson urges people to visit cinemas (you know, those places where you sit in a seat with a few hundred others to watch a film for a couple of hours indoors) after Cineworld threatens closure. No mention of limited attendance (already prepared and planned for by clubs) to watch football outside.

Cinemas are also showing football matches

And then there's this

I think it is very rare for cinema goer's to jump up and down shouting and singing, they used to back in the 1950s/60s during rock musicals, but I have never seen it since then.

Not been very widely reported but Rishi Sunak gave a very in depth and lengthy interview at No11 yesterday and has promised that EFL clubs will be given a "theatre style" bailout in the coming weeks.
"I know how important football is to the community so rest assured it is something that we are very committed to" he is quoted as saying.
Not sure of figures as yet but as long as it stops us and others going under, has to be good news.

I think it is very rare for cinema goer's to jump up and down shouting and singing, they used to back in the 1950s/60s during rock musicals, but I have never seen it since then.

Are you saying, you don't think football fans would comply with the social distancing and safety protocols that clubs have created to let a few thousand (everyone of them on a database) return to watch their clubs?

Are you saying, you don't think football fans would comply with the social distancing and safety protocols that clubs have created to let a few thousand (everyone of them on a database) return to watch their clubs?
When you see people not wearing a mask, people not using sanitizer when entering a shop, not even washing their hands after using the loo, then yes I do think a number of football fans will ignore social distancing and safety protocols.

When you see people not wearing a mask, people not using sanitizer when entering a shop, not even washing their hands after using the loo, then yes I do think a number of football fans will ignore social distancing and safety protocols.

If they are ok with getting banned from the ground, I suppose that's a possibility. Hopefully stewards will not have a hard time enforcing the rules when /if it happens.

Answer? Because of who we vote into power. No wonder we are treated with contempt.

Fair point re the Albert Hall. I was thinking the same.

Ps. With regard to Chisti, he is one of theTories who seems to have a moral compass, having opposed the Government's disgraceful attempt to make one of our citizens stateless (however guilty she may be) and resigning his post over them proposing to break an international treaty that they have just signed.

Last edited:
Gyms are open and although less than football crowds, can still get a couple hundred people working out together at the same time.

I would of thought with sweat transmitting across gyms that's far more likely to spread covid than socially distanced football stadiums, in the more crowded areas leading to seats people can just wear masks.

Not everyone at gyms uses hand sanitiser, wipes down equipment yet they remain open why prevent football crowds just because a few might not play by the rules.

The difference being, is that most people go to football with their families or mates. So when they go home, they could spread the virus to other family members or their many friends. Whereas people who go to the gym, will only take the virus back to their empty flat and there is an unlikely chance that they will pass the virus onto their cat... 😉

If there's one thing we have learnt from this pandemic it's not to trust a word this government says.

I wouldn't put my faith in Conservative politicians to save lower league football clubs, that's why I think bringing crowds back is so important. That way we don't have to rely on a government bail out (which I don't think will be substantial enough for alot of clubs to survive long term).

If Rishi Sunak is true to his word then fair play and I will be very grateful just not exactly counting my chickens...
Why so partisan ?

Try watching some foreign news. Claiming other countries "do Covid better" is common elsewhere.
Everyone has been learning.

I wouldn't defend some of the bizarre contrasts in regulation/guidance - gyms vs, pubs vs football stadia vs nail bars etc, etc
6 strangers meeting is OK .... but 7 including the friends next door not !!!

But I blame civil servants. They just love designing rules while sitting behind a desk - i.e. little regard to the real world.
No wonder the inconsistencies.

Who has been leading calls for MPs to scrutinise Covid Regs ?
Backbench Conservatives.

No "faith in Conservative politicians to save lower league football clubs" ??
Did you see any of last week's Commons debate about fans returning to football ?
Plenty of Conservative MPs cited their local, non-league club - whether as part of the community, having prepared for Covid, local jobs dependant etc.

As for "save lower league football clubs", you say:
"I think bringing crowds back is so important."

So why not give credit to the (probably more) Conservative MPs who have been keener to return to "normal" than Labour MPs ?
Often, the latter seem to default to "too risky" .... until their constituents say otherwise !