O'Connell out for another 10 months | Vital Football

O'Connell out for another 10 months

Chronic

Vital Football Hero
Is anyone surprised?

Really is shit this, in every way.

So harsh. So costly. The way it happened. The way it's been handled.

I'm sure a lot of finger pointing has already gone on and is probably a big reason the previous medical team have been removed.

He needs replacing. As if we didn't know it before. Properly. Not with Matt Clarke. Need to plan as if he'll never play for us again.

Just returning to professional football would be a victory for him now. Fingers crossed for him.

Shit news but not so unexpected I’m in the he’s probably done camp but I hope I’m wrong

We definitely need to assume that JOC won't be available this season, but I'm not prepared to give up on him yet and nor I suspect will the club. Other players have come back from serious injury issues before and JOC was starting from a point of extreme fitness that most players don't have. Tyrone Mings was out for eighteen months with a knee injury for instance, and I think Callum Wilson did his ACL twice in the space of two and a half years.

Is anyone surprised?

Really is shit this, in every way.

So harsh. So costly. The way it happened. The way it's been handled.

I'm sure a lot of finger pointing has already gone on and is probably a big reason the previous medical team have been removed.

He needs replacing. As if we didn't know it before. Properly. Not with Matt Clarke. Need to plan as if he'll never play for us again.

Just returning to professional football would be a victory for him now. Fingers crossed for him.

My guess and it is just a guess is that we tried to rush him back and fucked him up even further. I believe we gave him a squad number at some point last season, which suggests he was expected to play.

Presumably this is from Nixon as posted on S2. If this news is readily available I'm surprised the club haven't informed the fans especially as SJ gave an update on injuries yesterday. Although SJ did say in an earlier interview JOC was in NY,
I don't think SJ will be building his team with JOC in mind anyway I think he will have his own style and tactics that won't be dependent on one player.
If it is true I hope that JOC can make a recovery that will enable him play at some level or even a career in some type of sport.Good luck lad.

About par for the course for us

Exceptional players who want to leave = We get peanuts for

Exceptional players who are fairly happy to stay, but if they did move would earn us a fortune = Career ending injury

Shit players = Cost us a fortune because nobody will take them off us

I'm surprised the club haven't informed the fans especially as SJ gave an update on injuries yesterday

Should know by now that the club never tell the fans anything.

My guess and it is just a guess is that we tried to rush him back and fucked him up even further. I believe we gave him a squad number at some point last season, which suggests he was expected to play.

Seems pretty clear that he should have never been played again. Someone's fucked up here.

Should know by now that the club never tell the fans anything.

Seems pretty clear that he should have never been played again. Someone's fucked up here.

Seems a pointless exercise by the club when clearly the media has direct source within the club feeding them information, that's if it's true, There has been that many rumours regarding JOC who knows what's fact and fiction.
As SJ has already said JOC isn't part of his plans at present so clearly there is a plan "B" thankfully.

My understading was he was then taken off the list and added again later. Point was we rushed him back.

I think you are getting the PL squad lists and squad numbers mixed up. He was added into the squad list at the end of January, as he was expected to be back by March/April. However, given that he didn't even make it back into full training, I don't see any evidence that we rushed him back. We were obviously down way before he might have been available, even without the set back, so why would we have?

JOC was rumoured to have problems with his knees a while ago. Its been a combination of problems starting with him going off against Bristol City the year we went up. A training ground incident during the first lock down exacerbated his injury.

You have to ask why he was played in the first 2 games last season when he clearly wasn't fit only to have an operation days later. Something has gone wrong behind the scenes in managing his injury. If he needed an operation it should have happened during last summer.

A serious loss to the team not helped by the inability of the previous management team to bring in an adequate replacement. We still haven't got one in.

We have lost a major asset and a quality replacement needs to come in this transfer window.

Gutted for Jack,Twirls said on here ages ago that a mate of his had said Jack's career was over but Twirls hoped his mate was winding him up,it appears not.UTB

I think you are getting the PL squad lists and squad numbers mixed up. He was added into the squad list at the end of January, as he was expected to be back by March/April. However, given that he didn't even make it back into full training, I don't see any evidence that we rushed him back. We were obviously down way before he might have been available, even without the set back, so why would we have?

Evidence maybe that he is now out again after being back in training. I have no inside knowledge of course. But it does seem someone somewhere fucked up his rehab.

Feel for the lad, he could have been following in Harry McG's footsteps by now. I saw that we'd changed the medical team but wasn't this the same medical team that gave us three seasons good service and nursed the players pretty well?

It does seem a little odd that the club hasn't released more information.
When Coutts had his potential career ender we were kept in the loop.
I can only deduce that because Couttsy's was there for the world to see no-one had any reason to not put out updates etc.
JOC's was/is vague,woolly and shrouded.
Not pointing a finger at anyone as I don't know anything to justify that.
Very odd though and hope it comes out in due course.

The centre half situation is a bit concerning now.

No JOC.

Basham and Egan the only ones of the required standard.

Basham and Egan in a back 4? No thanks.

Any of the current options at LCB? No.

It makes absolute sense now to sign a LCB option who can also play in a back 4.

But we've heard nothing, except Matt Clarke. I hope we've let him go to West Brom because we're aiming higher.

No proper JOC replacement = no promotion.