Obsolete - and new - football terms | Page 2 | Vital Football

Obsolete - and new - football terms

Wonder if "linesman" will ever stop being used. It must now be well over 20 years or more since Blatter decided to rename them as assistant referees, yet everyone still says linesmen.

Slide-rule pass. Might still be used, but few youngsters will know what a slide-rule is.
These days it will be an algorithm pass.

Trouble is, sometimes it hits the target, sometimes it whizzes off towards row Z. That's a variation known as a Williamson.

These days it will be an algorithm pass.

Trouble is, sometimes it hits the target, sometimes it whizzes off towards row Z. That's a variation known as a Williamson.

It's called "Doing a Gavin".

Of course, with the current government, there is literally no level of incompetence that will lead to resignation.

I'm sure all the Tory voters on here are very proud of themselves.

It's called "Doing a Gavin".

Of course, with the current government, there is literally no level of incompetence that will lead to resignation.

I'm sure all the Tory voters on here are very proud of themselves.
Knowing you've done something so bad, that you have to resign, must indicate a modicum of competence :LOL:

Possibly, was used a lot as a kid in the 90s, usually as a deliberate foul to stop attacking play. Possibly linked to literal crops and scything the player down?

Think that's right Rob, "I got cropped" was a common phrase when I played when appealing to the ref for a decision. Usually said to point out to the ref that it was the oppo's intent to foul you (when intent was a thing ref's had to bear in mind)

Some expressions I’ve thought of include
  • Outside right/left
  • Inside right/left/forward
  • Right/left/wing half
  • Wing back becoming a new term
  • Trainer – replaced by Physio
  • Trainer’s bucket
  • Magic sponge
  • Director of Football becoming a new term
  • Sweeper – came into fashion during my lifetime – is it still in use?

Think that's right Rob, "I got cropped" was a common phrase when I played when appealing to the ref for a decision. Usually said to point out to the ref that it was the oppo's intent to foul you (when intent was a thing ref's had to bear in mind)

A variance on thst I think is "crogged"?

An expression that really used to piss me off was the term, “park”.

I had always played, and watched football being played, on a pitch, or possibly a field, and never heard it referred to as anything else. Then I seem to think that in a post match interview on MOD (or whatever) Pat Crerrand of Man U, used the term “park”, and commentators and pundits suddenly seemed to start using it – it became the “in” expression for the playing area

Haven’t heard it used for some time now, so assume it’s gone out of fashion

I think with all the new-fangled fucking around at the back, "putting it in row Z" won't be used much from now on.

An expression that really used to piss me off was the term, “park”.

I had always played, and watched football being played, on a pitch, or possibly a field, and never heard it referred to as anything else. Then I seem to think that in a post match interview on MOD (or whatever) Pat Crerrand of Man U, used the term “park”, and commentators and pundits suddenly seemed to start using it – it became the “in” expression for the playing area

Haven’t heard it used for some time now, so assume it’s gone out of fashion

"Played us off the park" was quite a common phrase from 2011-2016.