O/T VS Gardening Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

O/T VS Gardening Thread

So my wife's aunt is a rather well-known sculptor within art circles at least. This was something she did during her erotic phase. It has been relegated back to where the air conditioning units sit because it is one of the things my wife fell on when she fell off a ladder and badly injured herself 4 years ago.

Ladies and gentlemen, the double vagina:

View attachment 39397
Suggestions please for what should growing out of them or into them. Pussy Willow is one for starters.

The bird feeding station using an old laundry line pole from 1960s and a newer custom made unit. Also the bird bath and bowl.of water, two butcheres conifer bushes act as a perch area. The birds are right now having a good old drink.View attachment 39382
Great feeding station there, we have similar, 3 hanging feeders, one gets filled with the food my aviary birds do not eat, wild uns love it, one has fat balls, the other has mealworm, we also have an old 2ltr lemonade bottle hanging from the tree with unshelled peanuts in it, with access of course, squirrels love it, though my bull terrier hates em lol!, then add a standing bird bath, with holes for drainage in it, this gets crushed up fat balls and food not eaten by our parrot.

We get all manor of birds feeding, B52's, Crows, Magpies, Black birds, Thrush's, Robins, Blue n Grey Tits, Sparrows house n hedge and Starlings plus a few more.

Yesterday for example whilst we were sitting in the garden, there was a hell of a noise being made by 20+ Starlings with their young who were screaming to be fed, so nice to watch nature at its best.

Stress in the garden today. My wife topped up the bird food but couldnt secure the fat ball holder which meant moving a seed feeder across the garden where the birds are not used to. I fixed it and got everything back as it was. Then a paddy was thrown because she had no sand and one of her new plants likes sandy soil. To compound that she had no pot for it either.
So I knew she had broken a paving slab while weeding in between a few weeks ago and couldn't get it to fit flush again. I asked what was under the slabs ( knowing full well what was )....sand she said. So out came some sand from under the broken slab, I defined the edges by scraping the sand and soil off and both pieces fitted back flush.
Next problem , no pot. So I suggested planting her new Dianthus in the rockery instead of in its pot so that it will spread better. Pot created, new plant potted with sand, soil and compost mix.
My wife has Epilepsy and a touch of Autism. So small problems seem much more intense and a paddy is the result. She said you are good at solving problems.....I said.....No, I just like a peaceful life !!
Next challenge is related but not garden based. The other night our fire stick became unresponsive in the bedroom so she ordered a new remote. When it came I said before we use it let's read the pairing instructions on the leaflet and try it with the old one. Unplug the fire stick at the mains, plug it back in after a minute or so. Turn the tv on, wait for the amazon home screen then hold the home button down for 10 seconds on the remote. Hey presto it becomes responsive. Didnt need a new one, just the right procedure for pairing which we couldn't find despite much google searching !!
So that's 4 fixes from me today she needed. So I have my uses.

Last edited:
Stress in the garden today. My wife topped up the bird food but couldnt secure the fat ball holder which meant moving a seed feeder across the garden where the birds are not used to. I fixed it and got everything back as it was. Then a paddy was thrown because she had no sand and one of her new plants likes sandy soil. To compound that she had no pot for it either.
So I knew she had broken a paving slab while weeding in between a few weeks ago and couldn't get it to fit flush again. I asked what was under the slabs ( knowing full well what was )....sand she said. So out came some sand from under the broken slab, I defined the edges by scraping the sand and soil off and both pieces fitted back flush.
Next problem , no pot. So I suggested planting her new Dianthus in the rockery instead of in its pot so that it will spread better. Pot created, new plant potted with sand, soil and compost mix.
My wife has Epilepsy and a touch of Autism. So small problems seem much more intense and a paddy is the result. She said you are good at solving problems.....I said.....No, I just like a peaceful life !!
Next challenge is related but not garden based. The other night our fire stick became unresponsive in the bedroom so she ordered a new remote. When it came I said before we use it let's read the pairing instructions on the leaflet and try it with the old one. Unplug the fire stick at the mains, plug it back in after a minute or so. Turn the tv on, wait for the amazon home screen then hold the home button down for 10 seconds on the remote. Hey presto it becomes responsive. Didnt need a new one, just the right procedure for pairing which we could find despite much google searching !!
So that's 4 fixes from me today she needed. So I have my uses.
Well done Nick , I love hearing how happy you and your wife are , the fact that you are so in touch with other each shines like a beacon .

Just read your post Nick with regards to your missus, well done mate because I know where you are coming from, basically get/have the same probs with mine, her suffering intense pain 24/7/365 in different parts of body different days, so she get's very short tempered at times over the least important things, that's where I have to step in, generally its part of our life now. Cheers

Did a bit of work clearing some overgrown weeds and climbers next to the shed, bit of an eyesore area. The birds are going mad picking off all the grubs and insects we exposed by doing so. A frenzy of bird life right now.

Last edited:
I've had to get my planning hat on again today. My wife is concerned that some of our new plants would do better out of their planters including the Jacobs Ladder.

Our patio is 1960s cement slabs which have weathered and have aged patina. It's a sunken patio with an 18 inch textured brick wall around it. The wall down one side has a gravel moonscape doing nothing. It was no doubt a flower bed previously converted into a low maintenance nothingness. It gets sun from early morning to late afternoon. So I came up with the idea of skimming off the pebbles which we can utilize elsewhere, remove the membrane and convert it back to a raised bed. It's about 15 feet long and 2 feet wide. Will probably have to create a soil mix bought in from the garden centre.

While my wife continued to clear the area next to the shed and uncovered the top part of the bird feeder , a wrought iron decorative finial which I have proudly crowned the station with and spread the feeders out better. She also uncovered a green glass textured bowl made in Ohio USA by E O Brody , no great value but nice.
Where my wife is clearing by the shed there are slabs under the soil which we are going to expose and use the area as a hard standing for garden shite. I will have to dig out and move the soil over to the rockery at the back.
So 2 projects created today to keep us busy, hopefully without spending much money. Its exposing, modifying, moving and planting what we have already.
The Robin's and Blackbirds are getting very close to my wife where she is digging over grubs and insects. About 3 feet away.

I've had to get my planning hat on again today. My wife is concerned that some of our new plants would do better out of their planters including the Jacobs Ladder.

Our patio is 1960s cement slabs which have weathered and have aged patina. It's a sunken patio with an 18 inch textured brick wall around it. The wall down one side has a gravel moonscape doing nothing. It was no doubt a flower bed previously converted into a low maintenance nothingness. It gets sun from early morning to late afternoon. So I came up with the idea of skimming off the pebbles which we can utilize elsewhere, remove the membrane and convert it back to a raised bed. It's about 15 feet long and 2 feet wide. Will probably have to create a soil mix bought in from the garden centre.

While my wife continued to clear the area next to the shed and uncovered the top part of the bird feeder , a wrought iron decorative finial which I have proudly crowned the station with and spread the feeders out better. She also uncovered a green glass textured bowl made in Ohio USA by E O Brody , no great value but nice.
Where my wife is clearing by the shed there are slabs under the soil which we are going to expose and use the area as a hard standing for garden shite. I will have to dig out and move the soil over to the rockery at the back.
So 2 projects created today to keep us busy, hopefully without spending much money. Its exposing, modifying, moving and planting what we have already.
The Robin's and Blackbirds are getting very close to my wife where she is digging over grubs and insects. About 3 feet away.
Love to hear about the Robins and Blackbirds, though mine can add a bloody Crow following her around lol.

It seems like the jobs you are doing appear to be the same or there about's what we did last summer, keep it up mate, the good work also lol!

Big excitement in the garden just now. My wife shouted....Nick, Nick look.....baby Starlings being fed by their parents. Sure enough light brown versions of their parents demanding food scuttling about on the lawn. Delightful to see nature at work. We have now had Blackbirds, Pigeons and Starling fledglings in the garden. There are Sparrows with young in the trees, I can hear them screeching when the parents arrive with food, but none seen yet.

New flowers on the Jacobs. View attachment 39465[/QUOTE
Big excitement in the garden just now. My wife shouted....Nick, Nick look.....baby Starlings being fed by their parents. Sure enough light brown versions of their parents demanding food scuttling about on the lawn. Delightful to see nature at work. We have now had Blackbirds, Pigeons and Starling fledglings in the garden. There are Sparrows with young in the trees, I can hear them screeching when the parents arrive with food, but none seen yet.
Very true Nick, I think we may have wives very much the same, calling out because of the noisy starlings demanding food, we have a couple of nest boxes on our fence, one of them has a Blue Tit family whilst the other has a Grey Tit family judging by the noise coming out of them, nature at its best, its great.

Can’t think why anybody would want to bury something like that . Have you / are you going to make further enquiries as to it’s worth , if it’s worthless , what would have been the point in burying it , ,quicker , easier to smash it up and put it in the bin , in pre recycling days .

It has no significant value Walt. The company who made it started in 1957 and they supply florists with vases etc. Obviously most are in the USA and very cheap but the postage to over here triples the price. It's worth maybe a tenner but would cost 20 quid in postage. I like it , reminds me of Whitefriars glass made in the West Midlands area in the 60s and 70s . I will display it in the shop with the sun shining through it and talk it up as American glass not often seen over here. The lady's like sparkly things and my salesmanship will seal the deal. Hence my name Walt....Nick Real Deal. That's what I do.
Our garden was a builders botch up when we moved in. They just buried all sorts of crap in the garden including a complete rockery. When the extension at the back was built circa late 1990s I can only guess the footings they dug created soil that they distributed around the garden. We didnt find out until we started maintaining the garden which was some time into our tenancy.

All done, just finished 5 hrs of work, sealing our stone driveway x 2 coats with 3 roller heads used, another job done, now for a beer.

Missus is playing with her brand new gardening hand tools, bless her.

It has no significant value Walt. The company who made it started in 1957 and they supply florists with vases etc. Obviously most are in the USA and very cheap but the postage to over here triples the price. It's worth maybe a tenner but would cost 20 quid in postage. I like it , reminds me of Whitefriars glass made in the West Midlands area in the 60s and 70s . I will display it in the shop with the sun shining through it and talk it up as American glass not often seen over here. The lady's like sparkly things and my salesmanship will seal the deal. Hence my name Walt....Nick Real Deal. That's what I do.
Our garden was a builders botch up when we moved in. They just buried all sorts of crap in the garden including a complete rockery. When the extension at the back was built circa late 1990s I can only guess the footings they dug created soil that they distributed around the garden. We didnt find out until we started maintaining the garden which was some time into our tenancy.
Your garden sounds like ours , Nick . When we moved in six years ago , it was all grass and weeds . It had been left empty for three months so the grass was quite tall . When we came to try and do something with it , we found that it had been a broken brick and general hardcore dump that had been covered in about a foot of topsoil . Useless for most shrubs that need to put down roots . We had all the rubbish grass etc scraped off , put down weed membrane and laid decorative gravel , , and a patio . All our Acers and other shrubs are in big pots . The soIl that was left is fine for every other plant . Having a lot of pots means we can change the layout whenever the mood takes us . The gravel is softened by ground cover plants that spread at will .