O/T ULEZ | Vital Football

O/T ULEZ

Nick Real Deal

Vital Football Legend
Ultra Low Emmision Zone active from today in the congestion zone of London. £ 12.50 if your vehicle does not comply with modern standards. Euro 6 level for diesels and pre 2006 for petrol I think.

So is it genuine and revolutionary to clean London's air or just revenue motivated. ? It's been described as a world's first so I am guessing no other city does it.

I understand the clean air issue. If London was that serious they would have set up a massive hub outside London using electric shuttle vehicles only to transfer loads from combustion engine vehicles. That would leave cars only entering London. Goods vehicles have no choice and are vital to London's business etc.

Ultra Low Emmision Zone active from today in the congestion zone of London. £ 12.50 if your vehicle does not comply with modern standards. Euro 6 level for diesels and pre 2006 for petrol I think.

So is it genuine and revolutionary to clean London's air or just revenue motivated. ? It's been described as a world's first so I am guessing no other city does it.

I understand the clean air issue. If London was that serious they would have set up a massive hub outside London using electric shuttle vehicles only to transfer loads from combustion engine vehicles. That would leave cars only entering London. Goods vehicles have no choice and are vital to London's business etc.

Given the excellent transportation system, I think it's a good move.

As a regular commuter I fail to see what is excellent about it.

As an outsider it is excellent. Ours is dismal compared to yours. Geography plays a part but lack of foresight is more of a factor.

As an outsider it is excellent. Ours is dismal compared to yours. Geography plays a part but lack of foresight is more of a factor.

I found Vancouver amazing, Toronto was bad but 10th of the traffic in London.

Elizabeth line is not ready, investment in bicycle super highway is minuscule, trains are arriving into London with 4-8 carriage on lines that support 12, and there are countless other things that should be addressed way before this should go through.

This is a horrible bill.

I found Vancouver amazing, Toronto was bad but 10th of the traffic in London.

Elizabeth line is not ready, investment in bicycle super highway is minuscule, trains are arriving into London with 4-8 carriage on lines that support 12, and there are countless other things that should be addressed way before this should go through.

This is a horrible bill.

That I couldn't comment on. I just know getting around the UK as a whole is very easy. Not just London.

True anywhere. Change your hours.

That's not always possible, or mainly unavailable these days to employees under contract. It really isn't as simple as that. I find people giving this sort of advice detached from employment issues in London.

80, there are daily delays on lines coming from outside London, signal failures, disruptions, leaves falling on the track, packed trains, stations being closed everyday due to overcrowding (London Bridge access to Northern/Jubilee).

Damn Canadians, always got an opinion about something :)

That's not always possible, or mainly unavailable these days to employees under contract. It really isn't as simple as that. I find people keeping this sort of advice detached.

80, there are daily delays on lines coming from outside London, signal failures, disruptions, leaves falling on the track, packed trains, stations being closed everyday due to overcrowding (London Bridge access to Northern/Jubilee).

Damn Canadians, always got an opinion about something :)

And are ridiculously detached...from their brains perhaps?

With all due respect this thread is about the ULEZ issue not a Canadian comparison . Also why did my thread disappear and then re emerge with O/T in front of it ?

With all due respect this thread is about the ULEZ issue not a Canadian comparison . Also why did my thread disappear and then re emerge with O/T in front of it ?

It was placed in To Dare Is To Do to give it a higher profile and then it was moved back.

It was placed in To Dare Is To Do to give it a higher profile and then it was moved back.

It is quite an important day marking this change. I am surprised at the lack of discussion. Maybe I am seeing it wrong because it affects me. I have taken steps to ensure I won't be entering the zone anymore as both my vehicles are non compliant.

It is quite an important day marking this change. I am surprised at the lack of discussion. Maybe I am seeing it wrong because it affects me. I have taken steps to ensure I won't be entering the zone anymore as both my vehicles are non compliant.

I thought it was a great topic as well.

Much to my disgust I took a job on in the congestion zone of London to install a display stand for a big company at St Ermines Hotel. It meant paying £ 24 , 11.50 con charge and 12.50 ULEZ charge. I will get it back but it's the principle I begrudge.

Anyway by the time I get finished it's gone 12.00 and I set off back towards Park Lane then out to the M1. Traffic was slow, then hundreds of bikers appear on Harleys, Triumphs and some Yammies, Kwackers and Hondas etc. All big engined beasts. I notice they are military and deduced it was some kind of rally . It was a protest against Soldier F facing murder charges. Park Lane was virtually at a standstill, the police had closed down the South side and letting hundreds blast down their in groups, revving high and slipping clutches, sounding their horns.

So the North side was clogged with bikers mainly on the inside lane of 3 because they were lining up 3 abreast to turn right and take their turn to blast South . Some were weaving in and out the lanes to get to the front. As I sat stationary in my van the numbers increased until it seemed hundreds were turning into thousands.

I started getting a sore throat and figured it must be the exhaust fumes of all the bikes. Then I started to feel a bit light headed , I leant out the window and spoke to a biker about it, he said his throat was sore too and he had a scarf across his face.

When I got home I did some research. I had suffered mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Motorcycles pump out 10 times more harmful emissions than the average car. They are high output engines with not much exhaust pipe. They pump out less carbon dioxide but way more monoxide. Some of the bikes were old Harleys which will be even worse than later machines.

Motorcycles do not pay the congestion charge. They have more relaxed emission limits. They don't pay the dart charge either.

Thousands of these bikes rode past parliament, they are not exempt from the ULEZ charge if before 2007 I think so some may get a bill through the door if they went into the C zone.

Motorcycle exhausts generally point upwards at an angle and the smoke is coming out roughly at the level I am sitting at in my van which is car based.

No wonder I felt queasy, it was confirmed around 3 thousand descended on London and the smog was noticed from afar. Mothers were pushing kids in prams on the pavements next to the bikes.

TFL brings in ULEZ and this rally turns London into a toxic nightmare, you couldn't make it up.

Two stroke scooters etc are even more polluting than 4 strokers because they burn engine oil as part of the combustion process. And you know how many of them buzz around London.