Good Morning Thread | Page 337 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

Weather report from the east.,.......still, overcast, warm ...lull before a storm meethinks.

Presidents day at the outdoor bowls today ...not attending cos they all get their uniforms, white trousers, white shirts....blazers with all their badges on FFS.....military precision...(.soory Pomp)...not for me I gave up being suited and booted when I retired! ...will go up there later in me jeans and a tee-shirt and have a few jars with them after the bowls and their presentations......alright for them as they like that sort of thing but it dont rock my boat.

Anything white I wear does not remain white for long ...beer and food stains, etc
(underpants - not going there!).

I love the club as it is not just bowls indoors and out, we have a wide range of social events as well,,,general knowledge and music quiz nights, trips to shows if you want, football rugby matches and cricket matches on the big screen in the lounge with catering....and Bar Services of course...and no limit on opening hours....open till the last man drops!...there are tamer events like board game morning and feckin Bingo nights (although never attending I hear they can become quite heated!)

Indoor season friendlies with other clubs are great days epecially if it is pissing or snowing, ....me and my mate and our wives run these and other special sat events like grand natonal day, St.Valentines day , St,.Patricks day gala etc....12 hour slogs they are....but great stuff....and footie matches beer and snacks if Spurs are playing, especially Chelski or West Sham as there are a small handful of their supporters in the club...mainly Yids though ha ha.

Anyway enough of that, looks like the outdoor Presidents day is gonna be a soaking whites event....worse I hear is if someone is wearing cheap schmuck whites, then they become translucent almost in the rain and stick to the skin...guess thats why the old dears attend...to maybe reminisce ha ha.

Byeee have a great weekend.
Hope you have a good time Greavsie , sounds like you have a thriving community place there.
I love that sort of environment, we have something like that in our local , amongst the regulars . Raft races in the normal summers . Quizzes , days and nights out , love it .
Well done to you for running it all . Without people like you the world would be a lot different .

Sat in the tent in the garden listening to the heavy downpour, just like our tenting holidays of old. Thankfully the tent is pretty waterproof. Had a very embarrassing experience some years ago camping in Cornwall.
Bit disappointed with storms we had last night, a lot of rain but not a great deal of thunder and lightning.
Stay safe and keep dry

Sat in the tent in the garden listening to the heavy downpour, just like our tenting holidays of old. Thankfully the tent is pretty waterproof. Had a very embarrassing experience some years ago camping in Cornwall.
Bit disappointed with storms we had last night, a lot of rain but not a great deal of thunder and lightning.
Stay safe and keep dry
Lijaboc ……. You can’t get away with that , not on here .
We need details , explicit details of your embarrassing moment in Cornwall .
.and photos !!!!!!!
Apparently we had storms last night . I didn’t know anything about them until I heard my wife telling her Mum this morning . I slept all through them :shrug: ……… but then I was in the pub earlier !!!!

Moving from the greatest city on earth to the serenity of the Irish countryside has to date been the greatest thing i've ever done in my life, well along with marrying the missus lol. I've had the good fortune to witness all forms of creatures both great & small & i'll always treasure them all.

Today on my daily commute i hit a bird with the car (the feathered variety) & witnessed it fall to the roadside in a fluttering frenzy. Living in a rural community i've witnessed many an animal by the roadside but this was a first for me & i felt compelled to turn around & see what if anything i could do. As i approached i could see it was a Blackbird, one of if not the most beautiful songbirds that frequent my grounds. I cradled it gently supporting it's neck, it's tiny heart beating at a rate of knots. I couldn't see any physical trauma but obviously at the rate of impact (40mph) the signs didn't look good. I took it to the grass verge under the shelter of some tree canopy & it opened its eyes, partially at first, then fully. It gave me a sense of hope that somehow this lil critter would survive, however the reality of the situation soon dawned as it's heart slowly stopped beating & it passed away cradled in my hands.

I'm glad i turned back & did whatever i could for it, as upsetting as it was. I placed it gently in the tall grass away from the pathway & under shelter from the midday sun. It was the only thing i could do for it unfortunately.

That's a sad story SP and I admire what you did.
Thanks Nick, i just wish i could've done more.

I feel incredibly lucky to have shared such a close relationship with our native wildlife & in most cases it's been of mutual benefit. From nesting songbirds, birds of prey & the numerous foxes & badgers i've encountered, i can consider myself extremely fortunate.

I should have become a Park Warden or Forest Ranger, it's my one true passion.

Thanks Nick, i just wish i could've done more.

I feel incredibly lucky to have shared such a close relationship with our native wildlife & in most cases it's been of mutual benefit. From nesting songbirds, birds of prey & the numerous foxes & badgers i've encountered, i can consider myself extremely fortunate.

I should have become a Park Warden or Forest Ranger, it's my one true passion.

You've always got time to fulfill that wish, even now: start here:

http://rescueanimalsireland.ie/

You've always got time to fulfill that wish, even now: start here:

http://rescueanimalsireland.ie/
I do so on a daily basis. Living on the edge of a forest i'm constantly rescuing all sorts of critters, both great & small.

Another Wildlife Reserve, WWT Castle Espie Wetland Centre is based at Strangford Lough, just a short drive away. I found & helped rehome a Long Eared Tawny Owl that was poorly or injured. I came across it early one morn sitting in the centre of a country road. It was standing upright but wouldn't move. I was able to handle it as i have done before with numerous other birds, it wasn't frightened at all. You could've almost mistaken it for a fledgling. Thankfully that story had a happier ending.

George who works at the centre got back in touch with some good news. It made a full recovery. As it turns out it was a juvenile after all & it had probably been attacked by a Goshawk. He went on to explain that when found it was most likely in a state of shock. Fortunately it had only suffered minor injuies but if left unattended in the middle of the road it could well have had a much different outcome.

Moving from the greatest city on earth to the serenity of the Irish countryside has to date been the greatest thing i've ever done in my life, well along with marrying the missus lol. I've had the good fortune to witness all forms of creatures both great & small & i'll always treasure them all.

Today on my daily commute i hit a bird with the car (the feathered variety) & witnessed it fall to the roadside in a fluttering frenzy. Living in a rural community i've witnessed many an animal by the roadside but this was a first for me & i felt compelled to turn around & see what if anything i could do. As i approached i could see it was a Blackbird, one of if not the most beautiful songbirds that frequent my grounds. I cradled it gently supporting it's neck, it's tiny heart beating at a rate of knots. I couldn't see any physical trauma but obviously at the rate of impact (40mph) the signs didn't look good. I took it to the grass verge under the shelter of some tree canopy & it opened its eyes, partially at first, then fully. It gave me a sense of hope that somehow this lil critter would survive, however the reality of the situation soon dawned as it's heart slowly stopped beating & it passed away cradled in my hands.

I'm glad i turned back & did whatever i could for it, as upsetting as it was. I placed it gently in the tall grass away from the pathway & under shelter from the midday sun. It was the only thing i could do for it unfortunately.
You couldn’t have done anything different mate . At least you gave the bird a loving hand in its last moments .
It sounds like it went peacefully.

Afternoon all, cloudy, a bit rainy, just had some, but still warm up ere on the hill down Souff.
stevep, some wonderful posts there regards birds and other critturs, welcome mate by all us other crittur lovers, naturists, wild things not the ones Greavsie thinks of lol!

Your ambition to be a Game Warden etc, as Ex said not a problem, the different organisation's are always advertising for full time or even part time workers, there just isn't enough peops who want to do that sort of thing, my younger bruv, RIP mate, was a gamewarden/gardener for about 15years for a Lord in Yorkshire, had his own lodge, loved it, but alas divorce did his head in and gave it all up.

Like steve everyone, keep your eyes open and a few minutes helping a distressed crittur goes a long way, for them and yourself.

Further to my Rookie Market garden, I was informed today by Mrs PY that I had to splice some of them, splice I asked I haven't any rope, twat! was the reply, separate them, um ok love.

So another job for this after to do.

One of Mrs PY's oppos got raced into hospital yesterday, we know she has the start of dimensia, not entirely sure why she was raced in, but what I found disgusting was that her Daughter was asked to come into the QA and remove all her gold jewelry as it was not there responsibility, what sort of world do we live in that an person cannot feel safe, jewelry wise in hospital, worse now as there are hardly any visitors wandering around, is it because they, the QA, do not trust even their own staff.

Keep safe, smiling and look after yourselves, kin and oppos.

Stay safe and keep dry
We're crying out for some here. As much as we like the sun it's becoming almost unbearable now.

You couldn’t have done anything different mate . At least you gave the bird a loving hand in its last moments .
It sounds like it went peacefully.
I know mate but it doesn't make me feel any better.

Living in such close proximity with the native wildlife has made me painfully aware of all the hardships they face because of our encroachment. It highlights how much work there is still to do & how difficult the task is.

Lijaboc ……. You can’t get away with that , not on here .
We need details , explicit details of your embarrassing moment in Cornwall .
.and photos !!!!!!!
Apparently we had storms last night . I didn’t know anything about them until I heard my wife telling her Mum this morning . I slept all through them :shrug: ……… but then I was in the pub earlier !!!!

You are doing a great job SP trying to protect and help the wildlife particularly with the dwindling numbers of some species.

Ok Walt, you want it you'll get it, although I must warn you it is very tame and not controversial or salacious in any way, just personally embarrassing, full unabridged story coming up:

We booked a camping holiday in Bude, and it had an ominous feel on the day we left, dark grey skies, around 12 miles in on the dual carriageway I looked in the rear view mirror and saw various bits and pieces flying off the roof rack, luckily it was pretty early so hardly any traffic around so I pulled over and carefully retrieved what I could, although there is a very rotted sleeping bag still lying in a ditch somewhere.

Off we went and then it started to drizzle and by the time we got to Exeter it was raining quite steadily, we carried on regardless and by the time we got to the brow of a hill approaching Bude the town was bathed in sunshine, great a change in our fortunes (or so we thought), got to the campsite and was told by the Receptionist that they had a cloudburst a little earlier and our pitch was still underwater so we were moved to a pitch higher up.

Tent erected and everything installed, the wife said she would go into Bude and get some groceries, when she got back I was greeted with the usual "I've got some good news and bad news", the good news being that the AA do a 24 hour service, the bad news - the car is ok until it gets up to about 30mph and then a horrible rattling noise kicks in. Phoned the AA about 6pm and around 1am we could hear the sound of a noisy large vehicle coming down the site, it turned out to be a large recovery truck looking for us.

The AA guy looked under the bonnet and all around the car but could not find anything at all wrong with it, finally he suggested that we take the car out on the road to see if the rattling sound would re-appear, I took him out to the nearest road and sure enough at about 30mph the sound started up, he turned to me and said "that does sound bad doesn't it, but I can tell you what it is - it's the sound of the wind going through your roof rack" (it was the first time we had used one). I did the only thing a red faced person could do - offered him a cup of tea, which he politely refused as he wanted to get back to Barnstaple about 30 miles away.

Post embarrassment: What was left of the night went fine, and then it started to rain early the next morning and it rained virtually non stop for the next 4 days, it was so bad that the childrens' play area suddenly had a spring emerge, and behind our tent a small stream appeared that seemed to go through the middle of our neighbour's tent. I won't go into the smell when we lifted the ground sheet sufffice to say that the site was an ex-farm and we were on the part where they kept the pigs.

We did get a Christmas card from the owners that year containing a £5 voucher for our next stay, funnily enough we never took up the offer!!

Creationists day for some persuasions ..many off to worship.....rather them than me....I prefer watching the Olympics personally...human endeavour and commitment of the highest order.

Sunday for me has always been a recharge the batteries day through all my phases of life......

Still the same......never arrange too much or promise myself to do too much...

...as per the small faces....LAZY SUNDAY AFTERNOON...Itchicoo park is where I've been...

Have a restful day campers....or not if you are highly active on a Sunday

What are your experiences of Sunday's?

My input...ALL the shops were shut, you could only window shop (as no shutters were around in those days) in my growing up days in London.

Creationists day for some persuasions ..many off to worship.....rather them than me....I prefer watching the Olympics personally...human endeavour and commitment of the highest order.

Sunday for me has always been a recharge the batteries day through all my phases of life......

Still the same......never arrange too much or promise myself to do too much...

...as per the small faces....LAZY SUNDAY AFTERNOON...Itchicoo park is where I've been...

Have a restful day campers....or not if you are highly active on a Sunday

What are your experiences of Sunday's?

My input...ALL the shops were shut, you could only window shop (as no shutters were around in those days) in my growing up days in London.
I cringe at the memories i have of sundays during my youth. Nowhere open as the 24/7 herd mentality was still a decade or so away.

Remember sitting painfully through the likes of Ski Sunday or Treasure Hunt which were top billing back in the day. Oh the joy lol.