Good Morning Thread | Page 241 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

Greavsie I haven't cleared my cache/History what ever that means lol! so if it has lost credentials I have no idea how it is happening.
Every time I come on here in the last couple of days it says you must "log in" blah blah, this I do...user Name PompeyYid, password, confirm, up comes pink band saying not recognised, so reset, back to inbox, reset password, come back on here, ok, until next time, it is really starting to piss me off.

If I mislead in my previous posts concerning this bit of grief, I am sorry, but I have not tried to register again.

Ok Pomp was just a thought

Good morning all, lovely sunny/cloudless day down ere in the Souff, hope the same for the rest of you, it puts a spring in your step.

1st of March, pinch punch lol!

Mind switched on for "To Dare is to Do" same crap, log in, user name, password etc, pink notice not accepted, click on forgotten password, same bull? back to in-box, click same password, excepted + "oops something went wrong", then back on here, so here I am!, what the hell is going on? maybe what am I doing is wrong, I have no idea, note I am a Dinosaur when it come to hi-tech stuff lol!

Walt love the £ added to my points on the predictor table, you asked can I find anymore points, unfortunately or lucky for you...NO! lol!
The allotment is calling/singing for your return lol!

After the game yesterday, I had Yippee! in my heart, got on with all my to-do jobs Mrs PY had stored up for me, had a great afternoon.

Now you all keep keeping safe, Spring is in the air, love is al around, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter, our parole hearing for freedom is also getting nearer and finally thumbs up Ex. Cheers all.

Am back, with this bit of grief I have been going through, well it happened again, so "logged in" again! only this time instead of my user name I put in my e-mail address....hey bloody presto! no grief, what a dolt I am, told ya I was a Dinosaur lol!

Great to see your back writing Ex, slowly but surely, one step at a time or even "chunk n pace" as the medics used to say to Mrs PY because of her ailment.

Good morning all , it’s nice out this morning . I think I will leave it out a bit longer .
I still haven’t got to the allotment , but never mind , I can catch up . It’s more important now to get the seeds sown , green house cleaned , garden shed store cleared out , put in order , spiders re located , compost purchased , plastic pots washed ........., it’s all go.

Then , when I do get to the allotment , I’ve got to do the same up there . The spiders will be bigger there . Huge buggers they are . As I take a garden rake out of the bin store , they are on the other side pulling it back in .
I love this time of year , it stays lighter every evening , slowly warms up in the afternoon , but don’t it get cold when the sun goes down !

. My wife got her final test results back yesterday , by phone , and everything is clear . All the operations wounds have now healed , and everything is great .
Those surgeons and all the others , are just incredible people . Every one of them on the “ front line “
Brings tears to my eyes .

Hope you are all well , staying alert , and keeping safe .
Look after each other.
Ive got to go , spiders don’t get up and go by themselves you know ..... my wife is terrified of them . Our house is hermetically sealed to keep them out !
Take care

ABSOLUTELY great news about yer missus mate!

Spiders are from Mars you know.

Oh good morning all

Dull and grey again today....low cloud lowers the happiness feeling...then again I woke up and am breathing so it aint all bad eh!

Have a good one where ever you are ...looking forward to the Fulham game .....

...When you're sat in row Z, and the ball hits your head, that's Zamora, that's Zamora" ....
............or Sissoko:grinning:

ABSOLUTELY great news about yer missus mate!

Spiders are from Mars you know.

Oh good morning all

Dull and grey again today....low cloud lowers the happiness feeling...then again I woke up and am breathing so it aint all bad eh!

Have a good one where ever you are ...looking forward to the Fulham game .....

...When you're sat in row Z, and the ball hits your head, that's Zamora, that's Zamora" ....
............or Sissoko:grinning:
Thanks Greavsie . ......... keep up with the breathing .,it’s good for you......... and us.
I heard track on the radio yesterday , “ oh you pretty thing “ and thought , that doesn’t sound like David Bowie ..... eh ? ........ turned out it was Peter Noone .
Who would have thought .!

Morning all, sunny ere again!, love it.
Shows its getting near Spring time, the funny heads are on, raking, just for you Walt, up the past's brilliant music scene.

Just had a chat with an ex-army bestie oppo, 3 things have happened to him, they say it comes in 3's, March 2020 into QA Hospital with Covid, he is a pro diver, sea's that is, he reckons he had had more Oxygen in 3 days than he had had in all the years he has been diving. He described having Covid exactly as Ex has, frightening isn't it.

November 2020 rushed into the QA again, blood clot on lung, according to Doc, caused by Covid.

News years day came home to find Missus n kids, lock stock and barrel, cleaned out, gone, effed off, disappeared, his words.

I asked why the eff he hadn't told us about all this...Ah! you two have enough problems without mine! mmm! so he is popping round for a visit and he will get it from Mrs PY, bollocking that is, he has been warned.

On a lighter note, it is well known us geezers like our toys! drills, electrical stuff, tools, motor vehicles etc, well a gift from Mrs PY arrived yesterday for me, excitedly I opened the box to find a "Soup Maker" I did laugh! saying to her I take it you want some soup! she replied yes! I also have a "Soup Maker Recipe book" for you.
So this AM made my first soup, under orders from last night, Carrot, Leek n Parsley, all prepared. cooked and tasted, really nice.

All for now folks, keep keeping safe, plus note where all the numpties are, keep up with the happy chit chat, it makes our day.

Morning all, sunny ere again!, love it.
Shows its getting near Spring time, the funny heads are on, raking, just for you Walt, up the past's brilliant music scene.

Just had a chat with an ex-army bestie oppo, 3 things have happened to him, they say it comes in 3's, March 2020 into QA Hospital with Covid, he is a pro diver, sea's that is, he reckons he had had more Oxygen in 3 days than he had had in all the years he has been diving. He described having Covid exactly as Ex has, frightening isn't it.

November 2020 rushed into the QA again, blood clot on lung, according to Doc, caused by Covid.

News years day came home to find Missus n kids, lock stock and barrel, cleaned out, gone, effed off, disappeared, his words.

I asked why the eff he hadn't told us about all this...Ah! you two have enough problems without mine! mmm! so he is popping round for a visit and he will get it from Mrs PY, bollocking that is, he has been warned.

On a lighter note, it is well known us geezers like our toys! drills, electrical stuff, tools, motor vehicles etc, well a gift from Mrs PY arrived yesterday for me, excitedly I opened the box to find a "Soup Maker" I did laugh! saying to her I take it you want some soup! she replied yes! I also have a "Soup Maker Recipe book" for you.
So this AM made my first soup, under orders from last night, Carrot, Leek n Parsley, all prepared. cooked and tasted, really nice.

All for now folks, keep keeping safe, plus note where all the numpties are, keep up with the happy chit chat, it makes our day.

I'd laid down a sports supply of pure oxygen, it was a smart move; 24 cans of oxygen used in 24 hours before get a full cylinder at home, which I was on and off of 24 hours a day for the next 2 days. It is not apleasant experience to say the least.

I normally work out every day/long walks (can't run anymore as after numerous knee op's they're now pretty much knackered for good). I now just about walk up the stairs.

Have been warned about clots, and for the next few weeks will be on a blood thinner, along with steroids both inhale type and tablets.

Getting up and moving around is as much a mental challenge as it is physical at the mo, tiredness/exhaustion comes very quickly if I try to do anything but the bare minimum. Mental fog makes even talking let alone typing coherently almost an impossibility - (and I can type properly) where a post took 30 secs -1 min, this one for example (and I've just checked, has taken me all of 5 mins - because you just cannot get your thoughts in order or hold your head up without a prop!!)

Anyway, give my best to your friend, sounds like he needs it more than me.

Stay well chaps, don't take even the smallest chance, or sadly it could come back to bite you in the backside, as it has with me!

Last edited:
I'd laid down a sports supply of pure oxygen, it was a smart move; 24 cans of oxygen used in 24 hours before get a full cylinder at home, which I was on and off of 24 hours a day for the next 2 days. It is not apleasant experience to say the least.

I normally work out every day/long walks (can't run anymore as after numerous knee op's they're now pretty much knackered for good). I now just about walk up the stairs.

Have been warned about clots, and for the next few weeks will be on a blood thinner, along with steroids both inhale type and tablets.

Getting up and moving around is as much a mental challenge as it is physical at the mo, tiredness/exhaustion comes very quickly if I try to do anything but the bare minimum. Mental fog makes even talking let alone typing coherently almost an impossibility - (and I can type properly) where a post took 30 secs -1 min, this one for example (and I've just checked, has taken me all of 5 mins - because you just cannot get your thoughts in order or hold your head up without a prop!!)

Anyway, give my best to your friend, sounds like he needs it more than me.

Stay well chaps, don't take even the smallest chance, or sadly it could come back to bite you in the backside, as it has with me!
Thanks for that Ex, I will give my oppo your best wishes, will probably tell him about yourself.
You mentioned "blood thinners" I can confirm he is on them, not Warfarine forget right now the name of it.
He says exactly the same as yourself regards the effects of Covid.

Cheers mate, all the best for speeding up you recovery.

Foggy and misty here, and it aint just the weather. A few beers and wine last night....my fault.

Budget day ....who are they gonna screw to recover all the dosh Covid 19 spent over the last year and next six months?

'phrase live within our means' is quite worrying.

What eggs me is that this is unreal money the govt is spending which does not exist in real terms....they can 'find' it in the back of a cupboard whenever the need arises..no one is gonna come knocking at the door to say....pay back by next Tuesday or we will send in the heavies!

Balance the books....never has been done...our debt has always been there and always will be medium or excessively large ....it is the carrot to scare us all.

If you earn £50k per annum and spend £2million you would be broke, declared bankrupt and bailiffs all over whatever assets you have. Won't happen to the Bank of UK... as I said all silly money ....

Govts choose how to and when to spend money and on what ....in a normal real world due to Covid Hs2 would be stopped immediately as an unnecesary expenditure ...certainly not a short term spend and save project.

Anyway I am sure EX will put me fiscally right on all this and explain it all to us plebes.

Ah well a few more beers getting mistier whilst watching the budget before beer and whisky gets hammered. Anyway at my time of life quite frankly I selfishly dont give a dam

Have a great and safe day campers.

:guiness:

Last edited:
Morning all , still dry down here on the south coast , got really cold last night though , although that may be a sign I’m getting older !! Feeling the cold a bit more than I used to .
I’ve still managed to get through the winter in my shorts though , everyday .
Except when we go out though , although that is almost non existent at the moment , obviously .

Bloke next door , it’s a long story , but he has had to come back and live with his ex wife during the pandemic , because when he moved out ,several years ago. he bought a caravan on a managed site , but now the site has been closed down and he has nowhere to live .......
Any how , he is a right knob , but when we had to isolate before my wife went in for her he op , he kindly bought my paper for me , . ...
So now , due to our lovely lady neighbours daughter picking up Covid from work , the whole house next door has had to isolate She is ok , she has age on her side and is nearly over it .
So , by text , I agreed to get his paper for him , and obviously any other bits and pieces they may need .... so I got his paper and was in the process of putting it through the letter box ..... when he opened the door to thank me !
Then in the next breath , told me me he had an awful sore throat and cough . ......
What a C@#¥.
Luckily I was quite a fair bit away from him ,and it was only for a second or two ... as I did my Nureyev impersonation , quick pirouette .... and then my Fernandes hop , skip and jump impersonation ....he said ,” How much do I owe you for the paper” !!!
Anyone got any idea how much I should charge him ? !

This is was a few days ago . I had my jab three weeks ago and I feel ok .
He is getting tested , at home , this morning .

We never spoke much when he lived there , things have not improved much now .

Im sure I was too far away , six foot is difficult to assess when you are weighing up giving someone a right hander .

I didn’t have a mask on , never thought in a million years I would need it , putting a newspaper through a letter box .

Staying alert never sounded so good . So do it . Stay alert .
look after each other........

Foggy and misty here, and it aint just the weaher. A few beerrs and wine last night....my fault.

Budget day ....who are they gonna screw to recover all the dosh Covid 19 spent over the last year and next six months?

'phrase live within our means' is quite worrying.

What eggs me is that this is unreal money the govt is spending which does not exist in real terms....they can 'find' it in the back of a cupboard whenever the need arises..no one is gonna come knocking at the door to say....pay back by next Tuesday or we will send in the heavies!

Balance the books....never has been done...our debt has always been there and always will be medium or excessively large ....it is the carrot to scare us all.

If you earn £50k per annum and spend £2million you would be broke, declared bankrupt and bailiffs all over whatever assets you have. Won't happen to the Bank of UK... as I said all silly money ....

Govts choose how to and when to spend money and on what ....in a normal real world due to Covid Hs2 would be stopped immediately as an unnecesary expenditure ...certainly not a short term spend and save project.

Anyway I am sure EX will put me fiscally right on all this and explain it all to us plebes.

Ah well a few more beers getting mistier whilst watching the budget before beer and whisky gets hammered. Anyway at my time of life quite frankly I selfishly dont give a dam

Have a great and safe day campers.

:guiness:
Love that post Greavsie . Like you , I don’t understand it .
When they say we have borrowed so many billions , who the fuck are they borrowing it from . ?

who has that sort of money laying about ?

If the whole world is in a similar predicament, and everyone is borrowing , is the last in the queue borrowing from the first in the queue , who has already borrowed to the hilt .
My son used to “borrow “ from me . Never ever paid it back . I even changed his name on my phone , so that when he phoned me , never to ask how I was ....... the name that came up was “ get yer wallet out “.

So , you are right , maybe Ex can help us plebs out .
How does it all work .
I always thought a country couldn’t print more money than it had in gold stocks , and how much that was worth ?
Fino

hope the fog lifts soon mate , after the budget obviously

Good morning all, high cloud here down Souff on the hill, Sun keeps trying to break through though, warmish also, As Walt said bloody cold at night, typical Sahara weather, bloody hot during the day bleedin freezin at night, memories lol!

Budget, who started that, its all over the papers Rishi this Rishi that, I come on here to get away from it, failed miserably haha! but no its everywhere lol!

That question you asked Walt, where do we borrow the dough from? I have asked the same numerous times myself, answer I get "World Bank", bloody hell they must be loaded, and where are they based?

My oppo I told you all about yesterday, 3 bad things occurring, ex-Army, Pro Diver, well after suffering with and beating Covid, he has to go and have an examination today regards whether he can keep Diving and retain his License, licenses for every bloody thing it seems, anyhow fingers crossed for him.

Oh yes my beautiful "Monster" Dodge Ram Daytona 1500 is currently having its mot, so off to collect it later.

Cheers all, keep safe n sound, eyes peeled, and as Walt did, who intern hopefully did enough to keep safe, never underestimate the perils that are still out there.

Love that post Greavsie . Like you , I don’t understand it .
When they say we have borrowed so many billions , who the fuck are they borrowing it from . ?

who has that sort of money laying about ?

If the whole world is in a similar predicament, and everyone is borrowing , is the last in the queue borrowing from the first in the queue , who has already borrowed to the hilt .
My son used to “borrow “ from me . Never ever paid it back . I even changed his name on my phone , so that when he phoned me , never to ask how I was ....... the name that came up was “ get yer wallet out “.

So , you are right , maybe Ex can help us plebs out .
How does it all work .
I always thought a country couldn’t print more money than it had in gold stocks , and how much that was worth ?
Fino

hope the fog lifts soon mate , after the budget obviously

I'll do my best to explain and reply to Greavsies questions in this post - but bear with me, my brain is still foggy and putting anything in a logical order seems an impossible task at the moment.

Essentially when you have a budget deficit (the difference between what income the government receives each year and what it spends) it has to borrow, when there is a surplus (income greater than outgoings, it can put it into the reserves).

The Furlough scheme has cost hundreds of Billions, but without it we'd be knackered. Our economy contracted because of the covid pandemic and unemployment could easily have been three-fold what it is now, or even higher without it. Many families/people would have been unable to support themselves at all.

So the government borrowed and kept them technically still employed.

But as we borrow more, so our national Debt has ballooned to levels we haven't seen since the Second World war - which from start to finish took almost 50 years to pay that debt off - this one will be of a similar duration I suspect, and attempts to increase income (higher taxes mostly) and lower spending could well mean we never come out of this economic contraction - so I don't expect to see any huge tax rises anytime soon.

leaving people with less money to spend now would be disastrous, it would also of course decrease vat income and consumption taxes.

The latest data shows that the UK government borrowed £8.8bn in January, which was the the highest January figure since monthly records began in 1993, it has been estimated that government borrowing during this financial year (end in March will be around £400 billion - an unheard-of sum in modern/peacetime history.

This borrowing is done by the government issuing bonds/gilts (same thing different terms).
These are really promissory notes i.e. the Government tells the market how much interest a bond/gilt will attract and the buyers scoop them up for the income. Income paid by governments is about as 100% guaranteed as you can get. Fund managers have to keep a certain amount in 'cash' (liquidity reasons) and so this is as good as it gets for parking cash! The government sets a maturity date (the date it will repay them and you get your cashback - but of course you can sell them to other institutions whenever you like - these bonds are the paper equivalent of gold.

British bonds are sought after as our political/civil rules of commercial law make us a solid proposition to investors.

The buyers of these bonds, or "gilts", are mainly financial institutions, like pension funds, investment funds, banks and insurance companies, but also some foreign governments also buy into them to use them for reserves.

Even the Bank of England as part of its remit to boost spending and investment in the economy buy them. This policy is known as "quantitative easing" the BOE has so far bought £875bn of government bonds. QE is like issuing 'new' money - but there is a limit to it and go too far and you risk financial implosion and rampant inflation.

I still hold a Bond that my grandfather bought back in the second World war, it was a non-maturing bond of £10,000 and eventually written off as worthless, so bonds issued by the government can in times of distress be written off and rendered worthless.

In January 2020, our UK debt was £2.11 trillion, up £316.4bn since the start of the Pandemic.

This figure almost exceeds the size of the UK economy, with debt having reached 97.9% of the UK's gross domestic product (GDP). GDP is the sum (measured in pounds) of the value of goods and services produced in the economy.

Debt levels as high as this haven't been seen since the early 1960s when the UK was paying off the debts of World War Two.

The bottom line is we cannot carry on like this for much longer, if we do foreign investors, institutional investors will demand higher rates for what they will see as an economy out of control and thus higher risk.

The chancellor has a very difficult tightrope to walk now, borrow too much and end up with interest payments that the government can't afford so has to cut public spending - thus risking a huge political push back as real pension payments shrink, pubic sector jobs disappear and no new spending on the NHS, defence, capital projects etc or (as he will have to at some point) hope the economy expands and collects more taxes as it does to meet the repayments and pay down the debt. The problem with what we've done now is that we've created a new state dependency the likes of we haven't seen even in wartime.

Sooner or later we're going to have to let businesses go bust and people be made redundant - what we've seen happen to the big retail chains may well happen in other sectors.

Are we in danger of our bonds becoming very expensive as confidence in our economic prospects wane? - almost certainly, at which point the government will be forced into a new austerity program and all that this entails. Mass unemployment is just around the corner which will be of a magnitude none of us has seen in our lifetime.

Our children will be paying this back for most of their lifetimes unless something I can't predict changes.

Last edited:
I'll do my best to explain and reply to Greavsies questions in this post - but bear with me, my brain is still foggy and putting anything in a logical order seems an impossible task at the moment.

Essentially when you have a budget deficit (the difference between what income the government receives each year and what it spends) it has to borrow, when there is a surplus (income greater than outgoings, it can put it into the reserves)
The Furlough scheme and has cost hundreds of Billions, but without it as our economy contracted because of the covid pandemic unemployment could easily have been three-fold what it is now, or even higher. Many families/people would be unable to support themselves at all.

So the government borrowed and kept them technically still employed.

But as we borrow more, so our national Debt has balloned to levels we haven't seen since the second World war - which from start to finish took almost 50 years to pay that debt off - this one will be of a similar duration I suspect, and attempts to increase income (higher taxes mostly) and lower spending could well mean we never come out of this economic contracted - so I don't expect to see any huge tax rises anytime soon.

leaving people with less money to spend now would be disastrous, it would also of course decrease vat income and consumption taxes.

The latest data shows that the UK government borrowed £8.8bn in January, which was the the highest January figure since monthly records began in 1993, it has been estimated that government borrowing during this financial year (end in March will be around £400 billion - an unheard-of sum in modern/peacetime history.

This borrowing is done by the government issuing bonds/gilts (same thing different terms).
These are really promissory notes i.e. the Government tells the market how much interest a bond/gilt will attract and the buyers scoop them up for the income. Income paid by governments is about as 100% guaranteed as you can get. Fund managers have to keep a certain amount in 'cash' (liquidity reasons) and so this is as good as it gets for parking cash! The government sets a maturity date (the date it will repay them and you get your cashback - but of course you can sell them to other institutions whenever you like - these bonds are the paper equivalent of gold.

British bonds are sought after as our political/civil rules of commercial law make us a solid proposition to investors.

The buyers of these bonds, or "gilts", are mainly financial institutions, like pension funds, investment funds, banks and insurance companies, but also some foreign governments also buy into them to use them for reserves.

Even the Bank of England as part of its remit to boost spending and investment in the economy buy them. This policy is known as "quantitative easing" the BOE has so far bought £875bn of government bonds. QE is like issuing 'new' money - but there is a limit to it and go too far and you risk financial implosion and rampant inflation.

I still hold a Bond that my grandfather bought back in the second World war, it was a non-maturing bond of £10,000 and eventually written off as worthless, so bonds issued by the government can in times of distress be written off and rendered worthless.

In January 2020, our UK debt was £2.11 trillion, up £316.4bn since the start of the Pandemic.

This figure almost exceeds the size of the UK economy, with debt having reached 97.9% of the UK's gross domestic product (GDP). GDP is the sum (measured in pounds) of the value of goods and services produced in the economy.

Debt levels as high as this haven't been seen since the early 1960s when the UK was paying off the debts of World War Two.

The bottom line is we cannot carry on like this for much longer, if we do foreign investors, institutional investors will demand higher rates for what they will see as an economy out of control and thus higher risk.

The chancellor has a very difficult tightrope to walk now, borrow too much and end up with interest payments that the government can't afford so has to cut public spending - thus risking a huge political push back as real pension payments shrink, pubic sector jobs disappear and no new spending on the NHS, defence, capital projects etc or (as he will have to at some point) hope the economy expands and collects more taxes as it does to meet the repayments and pay down the debt. The problem with what we've done now is that we've created a new state dependency the likes of we haven't seen even in wartime.

Sooner or later we're going to have to let businesses go bust and people be made redundant - what we've seen happen to the big retail chains may well happen in other sectors.

Are we in danger of our bonds becoming very expensive as confidence in our economic prospects wane? - almost certainly, at which point the government will be forced into a new austerity program and all that this entails. Mass unemployment is just around the corner which will be of a magnitude none of us has seen in our lifetime.

Our children will be paying this back for most of their lifetimes unless something I can't predict changes.

Yep, and then you overlay all of that with politics and especially election cycles. Get into power, make the tougher measures early into your tenure and provide the nice shiny policies closer to the next election date. It's also very good for votes when the money is collected into the treasury and very publicly given to worthy causes rather than allow the private sector to effect change.

Saying all that, I like Rishi because he can be quite transparent about the things he's exploring in the future. He can make things more predictable than previous incumbents who just threw surprises at us.

I think it's implied that the Nov budget will hit us harder than this one. This one is still in a locked-down world and Rishi won't want to upset the status quo too much.

Thanks EX...knew most of this but wanted to see reactions. Years ago I went on a business course and one whole day was spent on this very subject.

Really designed this post to see if your fog (covid responsible not beer) is liifting and you are improving...well done for the concentration mate, good to keep the brain exercised.:clap:

The reality which none of us plebes can do is that the Govt borrow most (over 90%) of the debt from the BOE i.e from themselves... the bank wont call in the debt will they....that is my point about silly money!