Good Morning Thread | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

Spursex

Alert Team
Post random thoughts here for the duration:

Good morning, today I had Weetabix for breakfast, and some Earl Grey tea (no milk), this is only after I have drunk a litre of water.

I am drinking a coffee whilst doing this and reading the news.

I am playing 18 holes of golf with a friend at 10 a.m. The clubhouse is closed, we will meet on the first tee, but remain 2 metres apart at all times (fairly normal as we never both hit that close within each other) - the flags have been left in, but we will not be touching them.

I will then return home and have lunch with my two daughters, who are living with me for the duration - they will have completed their 10 mile morning run.

After lunch, I will walk the dog, on my own.

After that I intend to pick 10 books to read, as I have just finished a book and will load them onto my kindle.

Any book recommendations?

These are my random thoughts for the day.

p.s. if you give a recommendation for what I should read, please also add why you think so..!

Good morning, today I had Weetabix for breakfast, and some Earl Grey tea (no milk), this is only after I have drunk a litre of water.

I am playing 18 holes of golf with a friend at 10 a.m. The clubhouse is closed, we will meet on the first tee, but remain 2 metres apart at all times (fairly normal as we never both hit that close within each other) - the flags have been left in, but we will not be touching them.

I will then return home and have lunch with my two daughters, who are living with me for the duration - they will have completed their 10 mile morning run.

After that I intend to pick 10 books to read, as I have just finished a book and will load them onto my kindle.

p.s. if you give a recommendation for what I should read, please also add why you think so..!
What genre of books do you want to read right now?..Fiction, non-fiction etc.

Rise To Greatness.
Conrad Black

A very decent high-level view of the history of Canada and the English and French battling over our great dominion.

Also, Black may be a pompous arse but he is a brilliant writer.

I also think I might re-read the Master and Commander series.

O'Brian is another underrated literary genius and those books really do take you to another time and place.

Stephen Ericksen, The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. 8 Books,I'm just starting the 7th.1,200 pages in each book.Its a bit of a marathon but If you like Fantasy/Fiction Ex,they are unputdownable.😎

If you are into Vinyl Records and obsessed with them like me, you will love the Vinyl Detective books by Andrew Cartmel ......light hearted but quite fun ...no thinking involved, easy read, ....good ideas around the search for expensive rare records and plots surrounding the hunt.

Max Hastings Vietnam is a masterpiece.
Shoe Dog by Phil Knight is a good read
The secret barristers books are an eye opener.
I am just about to start a book called our man which is about a chap called Richard Holbrook.
McMafia by misha glenny is also brilliant.

Today we are taking kids to the beach.
Then they will be glued to their tablets for a few hours.
I will probably fire up the xbox for a bit.
Need to wash the car.
Sunday lunch (lamb) whilst you can still get any.
Then a movie I guess.
Work tomorrow morning.
Happy Sunday all.

Also gonna re-read the Carlos Castenada books ...reminds me of the 70's and the road trips I made round the states and all about Peyote - separate reality!

Just back from golf. Hope your club have removed the white part of the cups and raised the rest. Our balls were easy to remove without touching anything in the hole. Our club has shut the gym and shut all the communal areas. We don't even need to rake the bunkers, just run our shoes through the impacted area and smooth the sand as much as possible.

As for books, this morning I've just finished Bill Bryson - The Body, A Guide for all Occupants. You couldn't find a better book the for the times we are in. I listened to it on Audible over the last 6 weeks in the car. Incredible book.

Another piece of guidance for everyone. Go get one of these free video conference facilities that all the tech companies are dishing out for free. I did a Cisco Webex with my 80 year old mum and dad yesterday. Today we will have all 3 generations dialling in on one for Mothers Day group video call for the family.

I also ordered myself a gas patio heater this weekend. I figured out that nobody else has thought of that yet. I will have one or two close friends who live close by round for some socially acceptable distanced beers in the coming weeks, if we don't go into full lockdown.

Stay safe everyone.

Just back from golf. Hope your club have removed the white part of the cups and raised the rest. Our balls were easy to remove without touching anything in the hole. Our club has shut the gym and shut all the communal areas. We don't even need to rake the bunkers, just run our shoes through the impacted area and smooth the sand as much as possible.

As for books, this morning I've just finished Bill Bryson - The Body, A Guide for all Occupants. You couldn't find a better book the for the times we are in. I listened to it on Audible over the last 6 weeks in the car. Incredible book.

Another piece of guidance for everyone. Go get one of these free video conference facilities that all the tech companies are dishing out for free. I did a Cisco Webex with my 80 year old mum and dad yesterday. Today we will have all 3 generations dialling in on one for Mothers Day group video call for the family.

I also ordered myself a gas patio heater this weekend. I figured out that nobody else has thought of that yet. I will have one or two close friends who live close by round for some socially acceptable distanced beers in the coming weeks, if we don't go into full lockdown.

Stay safe everyone.

My wife and I had an outdoor fire last night and sat around the fire pit for a good 3 hours having a drink and chatting. It was -6C but hey, that's nothing.

Rise To Greatness.
Conrad Black

A very decent high-level view of the history of Canada and the English and French battling over our great dominion.

Also, Black may be a pompous arse but he is a brilliant writer.

Read it, and a couple of others as well. I agree with your summation of him.

Stephen Ericksen, The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. 8 Books,I'm just starting the 7th.1,200 pages in each book.Its a bit of a marathon but If you like Fantasy/Fiction Ex,they are unputdownable.😎

Sounds good, now on my list to begin, I read the avalon chronicles by Steve McHugh, really enjoyed it, 8 books so far, I think!

Max Hastings Vietnam is a masterpiece.
Shoe Dog by Phil Knight is a good read
The secret barristers books are an eye opener.
I am just about to start a book called our man which is about a chap called Richard Holbrook.
McMafia by misha glenny is also brilliant.

Today we are taking kids to the beach.
Then they will be glued to their tablets for a few hours.
I will probably fire up the xbox for a bit.
Need to wash the car.
Sunday lunch (lamb) whilst you can still get any.
Then a movie I guess.
Work tomorrow morning.
Happy Sunday all.

Love Max hastings.

Will research the others.

I stumbled over a book in the 1980s called Turn Killer. By Brian Lecomber who was primarily a stunt aircraft display pilot. I think he wrote 3 books , Dead Weight and Talk Down being the other 2. His books draw heavily on his aerobatics knowledge. The first which I read I think dates from the 1970s. He died in 2015 and there was a piece in The Times written about him and his books.
The one I read was about an old plane that was bought and had a hidden cargo unbeknown to the buyer which was being pursued by some undesirables I was enthralled by Lecombers technical description of flying aircraft and the stunts.

After reading the book in the mid 1980s an air show came to Southend and guess who was taking part. ? He stole the show with his dare devil stunts and I wasnt surprised.
There are some YouTube cockpit and air show footage of him seemingly quite advanced in years. He died in his early 70s I think.
I dont know yet if the books are freely available but if you like aviation and intrigue it might be worth a look. His last book ...Talk Down was about a woman non pilot having to take the controls of a light aircraft and being talked down. I can imagine it's pretty technical and tense.

Last edited:
My wife and I had an outdoor fire last night and sat around the fire pit for a good 3 hours having a drink and chatting. It was -6C but hey, that's nothing.

A gas fired one or do you put the wood or coals on yourselves?

I'm a massive fan of landscaped fire-pits and seating areas. Would love to have one in the garden.