Good Morning Thread | Page 57 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

No Walt, we moved to South Hanningfield, which was basically a strung out series of houses a big reservoir and a two room infants and junior school....big change from Wood Street!...had to bike a mile and a half to school which had two teachers, one for the infants and one for all years of juniors....one of the best times of my life...our teacher/headmistress had a Triumph Mayflower car which had an aluminium body...maybe one of the first cars in the UK to use aluminium I think.

Passed the 11 plus there and then had to take a bus to Chelmsford and change to one to take us to the school...I was “adopted” by a group of senior girls but sadly we moved again to Southend before the end of my first year there. During my itinerant youth I lived in Southend, back to Walthamstow, back to Southend then to Basildon and finally up North.
My sister lives in Benfleet . My Nan , who lived next door to us in Walthamstow and basically brought me up , had a bungalow in Pitsea . Most summer weekends the majority of the family would decamp there and I spent most of my summer school holidays there . It was the most basic of basic places but I loved it .
It was down the end of a grass track with ditches both sides and about eight bungalows stretched along it . No electricity , no running water , no connected sewerage . We got warmth from the open log fire , light from gas mantles , Washing water from rain collecting tanks in the garden , drinking water from a standpipe a twenty minute walk away , and the toilet was a chemical one that got tipped into a pit dug behind the shed at the end of a huge garden . The garden was big enough for Dad to mark out a tennis court on it , with whitewash paint and a brush .
it was heaven to us . Farms all around . Next door was a poultry farmer . We chose our own chicken for Sunday dinner .
I could kill , pluck , gut and clean a chicken when I was eight .
It was heaven .,

Last edited:
Good morning all . There is something afoot . Its creeping , and I don’t like it . It’s the March of the ever invading skip lorry . !!!
one turned up three doors down last week. Was there for two days and was gone . Another turned up a day after the first one went, about ten doors up . They have both been placed ominously near garages . People have been unsocially gathering around them .
This in itself isn’t too bad , but when it is coinciding with amenity tips opening up , the sanctity of my garage is once again under threat . Up until now I have been protected by having no chance of getting rid of all ‘the might come in handy gubbins ‘ but things are changing ........ and it’s been noticed !.......... Dark clouds are looming on the horizon. I don’t like it .
Anyway ...... hope you are all well , keeping safe and staying alert .
It’s another lovely day .

Same in my neck of the woods...all those lists of jobs to do/DIY have come out of the woodwork....hence the skip epidemic....dont know if it is a pandemic yet!

I also knew how to pluck a chicken when around the same age, I used to go with my Boobala (thats grandma) to Dalston Market and pick one of them hanging up on the hooks on the market stalls. She made the best Jewish Penecillin I ever tasted!.

But unlike you escapeees form London to the rural areas, my early years were all Lonon Based, Tottenham, Clapton, Forest Gate so when we went to Forest Gate I saw countryside for the first time...namely Wanstead Flats and all the cows roaming on the common land, and across the traffic going to and from Forest Gate to Wanstead.

My first encounter with Cow Dung...wet and slimy in winter and crisp and hard in summer...yuk.

Morning all,

what a wonderful weekend - as I'm now in the heart of the most beautiful of countrysides, did two 15 mile walks this weekend with a picnic in the middle of both - never saw a single soul apart from a couple of distant dog walkers.

T'was bliss.

Hope you're all in good shape.

Be safe now, and keep your wits about you.

Countdown to kick off begins soon!

Last edited:
Morning all,

what a wonderful weekend - as I'm now in teh heart of the most beautiful of countrysides, did two 15 mile walks this weekend with a picnic in the middle of both - never saw a single soul apart from a couple of distant dog walkers.

T'was bliss.

Hope you're all in good shape.

Be safe now, and keep your wits about you.

Countdown to kick off begins soon!
I didn't miss football at all for the first five or six weeks of lockdown. But increasingly over the last couple of weeks I'm really looking forward to it starting again, in whatever shape or form it takes.

I know in the grand scheme of things football is an irrelevance, but the passion we feel for our club is slightly illogical anyway.

I didn't miss football at all for the first five or six weeks of lockdown. But increasingly over the last couple of weeks I'm really looking forward to it starting again, in whatever shape or form it takes.

I know in the grand scheme of things football is an irrelevance, but the passion we feel for our club is slightly illogical anyway.

Agreed, the last time I didn't see a live game this long, doesn't bear thinking about! Worst of all my growing commitment to time spent scouting makes me miss it even more!

Golf again this morning...another round to forget but lumping all that weight around for 3 hours gave me a good excuse to have two cheese sandwiches and a glass of wine for lunch...met some guys from the regular Big Bucks fiddle on the way round so a chance for some banter which always improves my mood...

Good to see you all fully occupied....I’ve adopted Walt’s garage mantra to DIY ie: just because I have a list of things to do there is no need to remind myself every 6 months...I was playing with one of our gang who is a hairdresser/barber this morning and since lockdown began he says he has been working non-stop with decorating and gardening projects, feels knackered and hadn’t lost any weight so obviously it can’t be good for you...he must feel really frustrated seeing the guys at the golf club looking like wannabe hippies with their hair and not being able to earn his living...so I’m grateful for small mercies....stay safe everyone..

Golf again this morning...another round to forget but lumping all that weight around for 3 hours gave me a good excuse to have two cheese sandwiches and a glass of wine for lunch...met some guys from the regular Big Bucks fiddle on the way round so a chance for some banter which always improves my mood...

Good to see you all fully occupied....I’ve adopted Walt’s garage mantra to DIY ie: just because I have a list of things to do there is no need to remind myself every 6 months...I was playing with one of our gang who is a hairdresser/barber this morning and since lockdown began he says he has been working non-stop with decorating and gardening projects, feels knackered and hadn’t lost any weight so obviously it can’t be good for you...he must feel really frustrated seeing the guys at the golf club looking like wannabe hippies with their hair and not being able to earn his living...so I’m grateful for small mercies....stay safe everyone..
Quite a few people I know are getting used to cutting to their own hair or getting someone in the family to. It's free and in the comfort of your own home. I bought an entry-level barber's kit at the start of the lockdown and got my wife to cut mine. She's just had her second pop at it and I can live with the results. Mind you, there's very little to cut and if I had a decent head of hair I'd probably think differently.

Quite a few people I know are getting used to cutting to their own hair or getting someone in the family to. It's free and in the comfort of your own home. I bought an entry-level barber's kit at the start of the lockdown and got my wife to cut mine. She's just had her second pop at it and I can live with the results. Mind you, there's very little to cut and if I had a decent head of hair I'd probably think differently.
All this about hair cuts, I have any split ends done once max twice a year by my wife's come to our house hair dresser, thus long hair on my head lol! and no worries.

I shave my head every 3 weeks to a grade 1. I dont have much hair left now , slightly more than Domonic Cummings. I keep it very short. I have grown a beard in lockdown and have to trim it with scissors each time I look in the mirror. It's high maintenance but I am persevering with it to see where it goes. Its Roy Keane like now with grey chin area but dark at the sides.

Last edited:
I’m just letting it grow....it was a bit difficult to see where I was going when it was windy so I resorted to trying some gel left over from a visit from my brother 3 years ago....finished up with a Rudolf Valentino hair style...pretty scary...just letting it go now and see where it goes.

Same in my neck of the woods...all those lists of jobs to do/DIY have come out of the woodwork....hence the skip epidemic....dont know if it is a pandemic yet!

I also knew how to pluck a chicken when around the same age, I used to go with my Boobala (thats grandma) to Dalston Market and pick one of them hanging up on the hooks on the market stalls. She made the best Jewish Penecillin I ever tasted!.

But unlike you escapeees form London to the rural areas, my early years were all Lonon Based, Tottenham, Clapton, Forest Gate so when we went to Forest Gate I saw countryside for the first time...namely Wanstead Flats and all the cows roaming on the common land, and across the traffic going to and from Forest Gate to Wanstead.

My first encounter with Cow Dung...wet and slimy in winter and crisp and hard in summer...yuk.
It was always great fun playing football on Wanstead Flats . Not many enjoyed going in for a sliding tackle ! Even worse when, after the game , you suddenly remembered the “state of the art” showers you had to go into ! Filthy dirty , slimey and freezing cold . Hot water ? !!! You’re having a larf ! ,. The pitches over by the entrance to the City Of London Cemetery were the best kept .

Last edited:
It was always great fun playing football on Wanstead Flats . Not many enjoyed going in for a sliding tackle ! Even worse when, after the game , you suddenly remembered the “state of the art” showers you had to go into ! Filthy dirty , slimey and freezing cold . Hot water ? !!! You’re having a larf ! ,. The pitches over by the entrance to the City Of London Cemetery were the best kept .

Yes but Ackne Marshes was worse with no showers just the horse troughs with taps out in the open...remember Walthy

Yes but Ackne Marshes was worse with no showers just the horse troughs with taps out in the open...remember Walthy
It’s indelibly etched into my memory Greavsie . At least if you played on a Sunday 10 -30 ko you had some sort of chance of getting your boots a bit cleaner . Woe betide you had a 2-30 ko . Nobody on earth would have put their boots into that water ! Let alone any part of their anatomy . Ha ha .
It was also compulsory that the six yard area of the goal was a quagmire , no matter what time of the year , even if there had been a six month drought .

...boots where you needed a last and hammer to change a stud.
...leather footballs that weighed like a medicine ball when it rained
...laces on the ball that if you headed it and hit the lace section you had a red stitches mark across yer forehead
...carrying the goalposts from the changing rooms across the Marshes to yer allocated pitch and having to erect them
...never was a game called off due to weather
...London smog would mean you could get lost trying to get back to the horse troughs

Oh joy

FFS why did we ever love footie so much...we were so spoiled in those days....

Must admit it was not long for me before better improved boots and balls came into the game...but I do remember playing under the conditions described as I bet you do Walthy.