Good Morning Thread | Page 55 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

Everybody reminiscing about music of the past brings back some great memories .
I will forever have a lasting memory of going to Walthamstow Granada with a few mates in early '63, to see Roy Orbison. We were horrified when the show started to see that the 'Big O' was given second billing to some guys called 'The Beatles'. Six months later we understood.
Also a stand out memory from those days were the New Musical Express annual concerts held at the indoor arena, Empire Pool I think that they called it in those days, at Wembley.
Given the success of Spurs in those days Wembley was almost a second home. But to see Beatles, Rolling Stones, Hollies, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Moody Blues, Dusty Springfield all on the same bill, was almost as good as watching Spurs win Cup Finals there. Used to have to walk home fifteen miles because the last bus had gone by the time the concert ended, but it was worth it.
‘Kin ell Smithy . I was there that night with the Beatles . We were all waiting down the side alley for them to come out after the show and as they drove away they drove over my foot !

We were in central London about a month later when we saw the Queen mother in her car . As we got closer to give her a wave . the car pulled off and went over the same foot the Beatles had gone over . I must have the only left foot in the world that has been flattened by the Beatles and the Queen Mother!
The Walthamstow Granada was our Saturday morning pictures venue as kids .

I was at the Stones Concert . Brilliant day . We stopped a pub on the way and ordered thirty five Light and Bitters for the seven of us , had to get them down quick as we were getting late for the concert ! . Seven of us in a Bedford Van that used to belong to a meat trader from spitafields market . ! Nice . No seats in the back ! Luckily we had a bucket !
love Wishbone Ash , blowing free , king will come .
went to the Rabbits a lot . Did you ever go to the Bridge House Tavern at Canning Town . Saw the Faces and Rod Stewart in there . There used to be great jam sessions in there . People like Long John Baldry , Jeff Beck . They used to just turn up and play . It was in there I first heard Faith Healer by the Sensational Alex Harvey band .

marvellous times

No never went to the bridge house Walthy.....life seemed much simpler and straightforward in those days didn't they...miss the freedom and the special banter

‘Kin ell Smithy . I was there that night with the Beatles . We were all waiting down the side alley for them to come out after the show and as they drove away they drove over my foot !

We were in central London about a month later when we saw the Queen mother in her car . As we got closer to give her a wave . the car pulled off and went over the same foot the Beatles had gone over . I must have the only left foot in the world that has been flattened by the Beatles and the Queen Mother!
The Walthamstow Granada was our Saturday morning pictures venue as kids .
Saturday morning pictures eh? I used to go to the Century I think it was called near the Bakers Arms, but one week they announced that the area yo-yo final would be held at the Granada...I pestered my mum to buy me a yo-yo but all the good metal ones were sold out so she bought me a wooden one...on the day hopped up on stage with the other kids...waited for the start command..the winner would be who ever kept the yo-yo going longest...go said the man and my yo-yo went down the string....and stayed down, trapped on a knot in the string....never went back to the Granada until my teenage years to see The Pink Panther an absolute side splitter at the time...happy days.

Saturday morning matinee at the Regal Cinema is Rayliegh , Essex. The manager wore a tux and bowtie and would get up on the stage to announce the schedule that morning, then serve hot dogs at the interval. Cartoon to start, then a series , then the main feature film. Used to go by bus from Hockley , me and my brother loved it, around 1968/ 69, I was 8 or 9.

Hi all. Hope everyone is staying safe and still laughing their way through life? Been crazily busy in my new job so haven't been able to do much more than work and sleep for the last few weeks. Don't begrudge any of that though as I'm just coming back from a career break.

Been missing the VS daily banter though and intend to ramp up again over these next few weeks. I assume we didn't sign the next Ronaldo whilst I haven't been paying attention? :-)

Saturday morning pictures eh? I used to go to the Century I think it was called near the Bakers Arms, but one week they announced that the area yo-yo final would be held at the Granada...I pestered my mum to buy me a yo-yo but all the good metal ones were sold out so she bought me a wooden one...on the day hopped up on stage with the other kids...waited for the start command..the winner would be who ever kept the yo-yo going longest...go said the man and my yo-yo went down the string....and stayed down, trapped on a knot in the string....never went back to the Granada until my teenage years to see The Pink Panther an absolute side splitter at the time...happy days.
I can remember the ABC cinema at the Bakers Arms , almost opposite the Swimming Baths.Dont remember the Century though . Not saying it wasn’t there ,I’m sure there was another cinema there but I can’t remember it . The ABC was the best for getting in to see the horror films that were X rated but the bloke in kiosk never cared . Twelve years old passed for eighteen back then.
. I was a regular in the final of the Hula Hoop contest at the Grenada ! About thirty of us on stage !Seemed to go on forever.
I have never ever mastered the Yo Yo. Always alien to me . I feel for you with your Yo Yo experience . It could have scarred you for life ! .
I am still quoting from the Pink Panther film . Boarm! You said boarm !
reum ! What number is your reum ?
brilliant

The Rex cinema Collier Row Romford Essex for me, Our Motley Crew (not the band!) would pool our pocket money...one of us would pay and go in and then open the fire exit at the back for the rest of us to storm in and disapppear amongst the audience and the rest of the money spent on nosh...super large Wagon Wheels (well they seemed larger than todays skimpy equivalents!), black jacks and fruit salads whooohoo

Your 7 in the Bedford made me remember one of our Sunday football team bought a huge american cadillac station wagon which could seat 10. for about £60 quid.

So the whole team (11th player squashed in) would get in it for away matches, (no subs in those days) It was so wide that when he drove us through Rotherhithe Tunnel he had to put two wheels up on the pavement to avoid oncoming trafic. Also what a gas gussler it was you could watch the petrol guage move as we drove,,,he use to have to plan journeys to make sure there were enough petrol stations en route!

The opposition could not believe it when we turned up and 11 blokes leapt out of the one car...ha ha

We all did daft things in those days, but as daft goes that is dafter than most!
The WHO very much at their peak at that time, one of the best bands of the sixties and early seventies, the best fifteen years in music history.
Does anyone remember or go to the all-day/evening event at The Valley (Charlton Football Club) in 1974? I think it was the first open air concert at a stadium in this country (or it may have been the largest?). It was headlined by The Who and they may have even had a hand in organising it. I think they chose all the bands participating.

I was 15 and what an eye-opener it was. I was offered every sort of drugs which were openly on sale. And I can still one bloke dancing manically to Maggie Bell, swigging from a near-empty whiskey bottle, face contorted, eyes bulging. There were a few fights as well.

As to the music, somehow we managed to get to the front of the stage by the time The Who came on. But the best band of the day for me were the newly-formed Bad Company. Lindisfarne brought some humour to the event. And I seem to remember a band called Montrose opening up the event. Great day and a education.

Does anyone remember or go to the all-day/evening event at The Valley (Charlton Football Club) in 1974? I think it was the first open air concert at a stadium in this country (or it may have been the largest?). It was headlined by The Who and they may have even had a hand in organising it. I think they chose all the bands participating.

I was 15 and what an eye-opener it was. I was offered every sort of drugs which were openly on sale. And I can still one bloke dancing manically to Maggie Bell, swigging from a near-empty whiskey bottle, face contorted, eyes bulging. There were a few fights as well.

As to the music, somehow we managed to get to the front of the stage by the time The Who came on. But the best band of the day for me were the newly-formed Bad Company. Lindisfarne brought some humour to the event. And I seem to remember a band called Montrose opening up the event. Great day and a education.
This wasn’t an event I went to Gary . I was about twenty five by then and my festival days were behind me , I was into comfortable concerts by then ha ha . We went to loads of free BBC radio concerts in the Shaftesbury Avenue Theatre . Saw all
sorts of bands ,, the BBC had a weekly radio programme called In Concert . We saw Black Sabbath, Status Quo, Mott the Hoople etc . One of my favourites at the time was Robin Trower .

Good morning all , lovely start to the day , wind has dropped , sun is making an appearance. It’s a lovely day to be Sunday . Cooked breakfast , read the papers , just doing bugger all really . It’s supposed to be a heatwave so will get the sunbeds out this afternoon and hope the neighbours don’t take the opportunity to paint the fence ! The actual fence part isn’t a problem , it’s when they get the steps out to paint the top ...........
Glad you got a garden helper Harry ,. It’s weird how some see gardening as a chore and some see it as a therapy . I must be in the second bracket , not sure if it’s a therapy though . I really love doing it .
Must be like cooking , I can’t cook , don’t cook , and have no interest in cooking or being shown how to cook .
The whole concept of cooking is alien . When I was single , I had ten years between marriages , it was a case of calling into ASDA, or Sainsbury every night on the way home from work and eat in their “restaurant “ . Always indoors by six , no washing up .That’s the other thing about cooking , you get out all the gubbins to put the food in , make it all dirty , spend hours getting it that way , ten minutes eating , then you’ve got to wash it all up , and put it all away .,madness . But then my wife tells me I’m such a bloke . I like being a bloke . !
Anyway , have a great day if you can , stay safe , stay well .
Keep posting

I can remember the ABC cinema at the Bakers Arms , almost opposite the Swimming Baths.Dont remember the Century though . Not saying it wasn’t there ,I’m sure there was another cinema there but I can’t remember it . The ABC was the best for getting in to see the horror films that were X rated but the bloke in kiosk never cared . Twelve years old passed for eighteen back then.
. I was a regular in the final of the Hula Hoop contest at the Grenada ! About thirty of us on stage !Seemed to go on forever.
I have never ever mastered the Yo Yo. Always alien to me . I feel for you with your Yo Yo experience . It could have scarred you for life ! .
I am still quoting from the Pink Panther film . Boarm! You said boarm !
reum ! What number is your reum ?
brilliant
High Walt...I found this link of a picture of the Century cinema...it was just down the Leytonstone high road where it joined Lea Bridge Road at the Bakers Arms and was more or less opposite the Leyton Baths where as a teenager I saw the Stones second gig in the area when they had just hit the very big time...best live band I’d seen at the time and remain one of the best ever.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/608971180839658856/

Paul Rogers has reformed Bad Company . Sell out arenas everywhere Gary ,,I’ve heard .

This wasn’t an event I went to Gary . I was about twenty five by then and my festival days were behind me , I was into comfortable concerts by then ha ha . We went to loads of free BBC radio concerts in the Shaftesbury Avenue Theatre . Saw all
sorts of bands ,, the BBC had a weekly radio programme called In Concert . We saw Black Sabbath, Status Quo, Mott the Hoople etc . One of my favourites at the time was Robin Trower .
Motorhead trumps them all. Lemy was bad ass. :rocker:
Lemmy was great. I saw Hawkwind live once and it was a great gig. But I think the best concert I ever went to was The Pogues at the Hammersmith Odeon. I managed to see most of the bands that I liked live but the atmosphere this night and the performance of the band was better than anything I experienced at any other concert.

High Walt...I found this link of a picture of the Century cinema...it was just down the Leytonstone high road where it joined Lea Bridge Road at the Bakers Arms and was more or less opposite the Leyton Baths where as a teenager I saw the Stones second gig in the area when they had just hit the very big time...best live band I’d seen at the time and remain one of the best ever.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/608971180839658856/
Great photo Harry , but I’m even more confused now . The cinema opposite Leyton Baths was the ABC .
Bakers Arms is the Junction of Lea Bridge Rd which is crossed by Hoe St /,High Rd . The Bakers Arms pub is on this junction.
There is another junction about a mile . down Lea Bridge Rd towards Clapton and Hackney where Markhouse rd / Churh rd cross . There may have been a cinema there . Leytonstone high rd is nowhere near these two junctions !
confused . Com

Great photo Harry , but I’m even more confused now . The cinema opposite Leyton Baths was the ABC .
Bakers Arms is the Junction of Lea Bridge Rd which is crossed by Hoe St /,High Rd . The Bakers Arms pub is on this junction.
There is another junction about a mile . down Lea Bridge Rd towards Clapton and Hackney where Markhouse rd / Churh rd cross . There may have been a cinema there . Leytonstone high rd is nowhere near these two junctions !
confused . Com
All I can tell you Walt is that from memory I used to come down Lea Bridge Road, turn left at the Bakers Arms and the Century, the one in the picture, was just along that road on the left.

There was another cinema in Hoe Street just before the Bakers Arms pub called The Plaza apparently but I can’t find any references to an ABC cinema......as you can see from the map the High Road is shown as a continuation of Hoe Street and that’s definitely the junction in question....confusing or what?

I think the ABC group bought a load of cinemas and rebranded most under a corporate name but some they did not so maybe they owned the Century but just left the name up, certainly when I was going there...maybe they changed it later?