Good Morning Thread | Page 338 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

You are doing a great job SP trying to protect and help the wildlife particularly with the dwindling numbers of some species.

Ok Walt, you want it you'll get it, although I must warn you it is very tame and not controversial or salacious in any way, just personally embarrassing, full unabridged story coming up:

We booked a camping holiday in Bude, and it had an ominous feel on the day we left, dark grey skies, around 12 miles in on the dual carriageway I looked in the rear view mirror and saw various bits and pieces flying off the roof rack, luckily it was pretty early so hardly any traffic around so I pulled over and carefully retrieved what I could, although there is a very rotted sleeping bag still lying in a ditch somewhere.

Off we went and then it started to drizzle and by the time we got to Exeter it was raining quite steadily, we carried on regardless and by the time we got to the brow of a hill approaching Bude the town was bathed in sunshine, great a change in our fortunes (or so we thought), got to the campsite and was told by the Receptionist that they had a cloudburst a little earlier and our pitch was still underwater so we were moved to a pitch higher up.

Tent erected and everything installed, the wife said she would go into Bude and get some groceries, when she got back I was greeted with the usual "I've got some good news and bad news", the good news being that the AA do a 24 hour service, the bad news - the car is ok until it gets up to about 30mph and then a horrible rattling noise kicks in. Phoned the AA about 6pm and around 1am we could hear the sound of a noisy large vehicle coming down the site, it turned out to be a large recovery truck looking for us.

The AA guy looked under the bonnet and all around the car but could not find anything at all wrong with it, finally he suggested that we take the car out on the road to see if the rattling sound would re-appear, I took him out to the nearest road and sure enough at about 30mph the sound started up, he turned to me and said "that does sound bad doesn't it, but I can tell you what it is - it's the sound of the wind going through your roof rack" (it was the first time we had used one). I did the only thing a red faced person could do - offered him a cup of tea, which he politely refused as he wanted to get back to Barnstaple about 30 miles away.

Post embarrassment: What was left of the night went fine, and then it started to rain early the next morning and it rained virtually non stop for the next 4 days, it was so bad that the childrens' play area suddenly had a spring emerge, and behind our tent a small stream appeared that seemed to go through the middle of our neighbour's tent. I won't go into the smell when we lifted the ground sheet sufffice to say that the site was an ex-farm and we were on the part where they kept the pigs.

We did get a Christmas card from the owners that year containing a £5 voucher for our next stay, funnily enough we never took up the offer!!
Brilliant , it’s the memories that we make that last forever .
Thanks for sharing .
I’ve always hated driving with anything tied to the roof . Never feel secure no matter how well it all tied down .

Moving from the greatest city on earth to the serenity of the Irish countryside has to date been the greatest thing i've ever done in my life, well along with marrying the missus lol. I've had the good fortune to witness all forms of creatures both great & small & i'll always treasure them all.

Today on my daily commute i hit a bird with the car (the feathered variety) & witnessed it fall to the roadside in a fluttering frenzy. Living in a rural community i've witnessed many an animal by the roadside but this was a first for me & i felt compelled to turn around & see what if anything i could do. As i approached i could see it was a Blackbird, one of if not the most beautiful songbirds that frequent my grounds. I cradled it gently supporting it's neck, it's tiny heart beating at a rate of knots. I couldn't see any physical trauma but obviously at the rate of impact (40mph) the signs didn't look good. I took it to the grass verge under the shelter of some tree canopy & it opened its eyes, partially at first, then fully. It gave me a sense of hope that somehow this lil critter would survive, however the reality of the situation soon dawned as it's heart slowly stopped beating & it passed away cradled in my hands.

I'm glad i turned back & did whatever i could for it, as upsetting as it was. I placed it gently in the tall grass away from the pathway & under shelter from the midday sun. It was the only thing i could do for it unfortunately.

That's unfortunate Steve, but these things do happen,

You're a good man to care enough to make his final moments as comforting as possible, in your warm safe hands.

You're lucky it wasn't a 80kg 6 foot kangaroo. I've experienced this twice in my life, both times doing 65 mph. 1st time in a luxury hire car coming back from the Great Race in Bathurst, and the second in 2015 returning from our holiday in Far North Queensland, towing the jetski in our 3 month old $70k company car. Each time was about $20k damage.

Unlike you, I didn't give a flying f**k for the wild life as we were all nearly killed ourselves.

I say the bird hit your car, not you the bird. Either way, you did a very nice thing, and like most on here, you are twice the man I'll ever be.

The kangaroos definitely hit my car. I didn't go looking for a roo to hit.

That's unfortunate Steve, but these things do happen,

You're a good man to care enough to make his final moments as comforting as possible, in your warm safe hands.

You're lucky it wasn't a 80kg 6 foot kangaroo. I've experienced this twice in my life, both times doing 65 mph. 1st time in a luxury hire car coming back from the Great Race in Bathurst, and the second in 2015 returning from our holiday in Far North Queensland, towing the jetski in our 3 month old $70k company car. Each time was about $20k damage.

Unlike you, I didn't give a flying f**k for the wild life as we were all nearly killed ourselves.

I say the bird hit your car, not you the bird. Either way, you did a very nice thing, and like most on here, you are twice the man I'll ever be.

The kangaroos definitely hit my car. I didn't go looking for a roo to hit.
That sounds awful Hod. You're lucky you escaped serious injury. There's nothing you can do in that situation to avoid it.... & to happen twice! Jeez.

Something similar happened to my Grandfather back in the day. This was a long time ago back in the streets of London, when my Grandfather was a young lad himself. Story goes he was driving a car & encountered a horse that had bolted & was being chased by the police. Don't ask, i have no idea lol. He was almost trampled cos as he brought the car to a halt, it reared & trampled on the bonnet & jumped clean over his car. Turns out if it had gone through the window it would most certainly have killed him. If so my father & i would never have been born. Well that's how it's been put across to me over the years anyhow.

On a sidenote i don't think i could ever bring myself to move out to Australia as i've been told that everything down there wants to eat you.... & that also includes the women.

That sounds awful Hod. You're lucky you escaped serious injury. There's nothing you can do in that situation to avoid it.... & to happen twice! Jeez.

Something similar happened to my Grandfather back in the day. This was a long time ago back in the streets of London, when my Grandfather was a young lad himself. Story goes he was driving a car & encountered a horse that had bolted & was being chased by the police. Don't ask, i have no idea lol. He was almost trampled cos as he brought the car to a halt, it reared & trampled on the bonnet & jumped clean over his car. Turns out if it had gone through the window it would most certainly have killed him. If so my father & i would never have been born. Well that's how it's been put across to me over the years anyhow.

On a sidenote i don't think i could ever bring myself to move out to Australia as i've been told that everything down there wants to eat you.... that also includes the women.

Hahaha...the woman...ooooooh the woman.
SP, it is hands down the best country I've ever visited, however we came here from Edinburgh in 1981 without ever visiting the place.

The wild life here is certainly something to behold. Our annual road trip, which is around 5000klms up the highway to Far North Queensland, always throws up some sort of challenge. We have a rule to only drive during day light. The Roo's are most active from dusk 'til dawn.

My tiny (47kg) wife had an encounter with a black tip reef shark 18 months ago whilst snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef. She swam about 30m away from my son and I as she was filming a huge turtle underwater. The turtle then swan away very quickly. Oh Oh. Mrs Hod turned her camera off, looked up and was face to face with a 6ft shark.
The next day we were meters away from 15ft saltwater crocodiles on a river whilst on our jetski. These things are very nasty indeed. The same day we were driving on a country road and turned a bend, only to see a massive monitor taking up one and a half lanes on the road.

I don't mind the big things, its the ants, spiders and snakes that worry me. Oh and the box jelly fish from Oct to March.

Attachments

• Monitor.jpg
    Monitor.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
Start of a new week and the sun is shining again.

Hope you are all fit and well, and those that are still suffering hope things will improve for you. And those with poorly wives - look after them.

Blimey Hod, I don't think I would dare venture out or sleep at night with all those creatures that you have in Oz, let alone jet ski or scuba dive.

Annual visit to Southampton General today for the pacemaker check to see how much battery life is remaining, must be getting close to replacing time as I've had this one for 7 years and they gave it an 8 year life span. Think I will discuss with my agent whether to terminate the Ever Ready contract and sign for Duracell.

Have a good day whatever takes your fancy

Hahaha...the woman...ooooooh the woman.
SP, it is hands down the best country I've ever visited, however we came here from Edinburgh in 1981 without ever visiting the place.

The wild life here is certainly something to behold. Our annual road trip, which is around 5000klms up the highway to Far North Queensland, always throws up some sort of challenge. We have a rule to only drive during day light. The Roo's are most active from dusk 'til dawn.

My tiny (47kg) wife had an encounter with a black tip reef shark 18 months ago whilst snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef. She swam about 30m away from my son and I as she was filming a huge turtle underwater. The turtle then swan away very quickly. Oh Oh. Mrs Hod turned her camera off, looked up and was face to face with a 6ft shark.
The next day we were meters away from 15ft saltwater crocodiles on a river whilst on our jetski. These things are very nasty indeed. The same day we were driving on a country road and turned a bend, only to see a massive monitor taking up one and a half lanes on the road.

I don't mind the big things, its the ants, spiders and snakes that worry me. Oh and the box jelly fish from Oct to March.

You live in a huge zoo mate...perhaps roles are reversed and the animals come to look at the humans ha ha

Morning all, sunny/cloudy down this way, but still warm.
One hell of a Thunder/lightning storm yesterday afternoon, turned the tv up as loud as I could to no effect, the Hound still scared shitless, lasted about half hour I suppose.

Your all talking about encounters with wildie critturs, me have had quite a few in my service days, Jungle, plains and the sea/oceans of course, any way the funniest has to be regards Mrs PY, a number of years ago we were walking around an animal reserve/park in the everglades/Florida, Mrs Py was on about where we could sit and have our lunch, when she spotted this, in her eye's anyway, large log beside a lake, she said that will be nice to sit there for our lunch and look over the lake, watch the Flamingoes etc, me I said your on your own, why she asked? just as the mouth opened of a bloody great crocodile, about 16ft long, who was obviously sun bathing, we didn't have our lunch in that vicinity, lol!

Hod as others we had thought of moving to Aussie, but Mrs PY said, No! have you seen them bloody snakes n spiders, a couple of her fears, and not to mention all the other dangerous critturs, lol! as you realise we didn't.

Am off up the EVille in a while, banking etc and catch up with some of my oppo's.

Keep safe all, keep smiling and look after yourselves and each other.

Morning All!
Blinding start to the day.
Walk round a nature reserve with a nine year old boy who has servere learning difficulties and a boob fixation thanks to his mums parenting. Was all going swimmingly until a German family walked passed who's mum was a bit Sam Fox.
This afternoon I am off into the community with a bloke who has more records than Tony Blackburn and a penchant for using bolt cutters when his customers can't pay up. He reckons he is 'a bangin'dad who never hurt his 'fookin son'.
Still, the sun is shining!

Morning All!
Blinding start to the day.
Walk round a nature reserve with a nine year old boy who has servere learning difficulties and a boob fixation thanks to his mums parenting. Was all going swimmingly until a German family walked passed who's mum was a bit Sam Fox.
This afternoon I am off into the community with a bloke who has more records than Tony Blackburn and a penchant for using bolt cutters when his customers can't pay up. He reckons he is 'a bangin'dad who never hurt his 'fookin son'.
Still, the sun is shining!

wow stu you have lots of variety in your job...dont know how you do it....you are one of the few...hats off to you and your colleages :clap::clap:

Not as varied as you imagine.
They all mostly dickheads!
If I had a hat I would take it off to you mate . Seriously . :tophat:
I just couldn’t do what you do .

Our daughter does a similar thing with the children of the damned !
She works in Social Services.
There is absolutely nothing Social in what she goes through .
Based in Portsmouth .
ive long given up asking her what sort of day she has had .

If I had a hat I would take it off to you mate . Seriously . :tophat:
I just couldn’t do what you do .

Our daughter does a similar thing with the children of the damned !
She works in Social Services.
There is absolutely nothing Social in what she goes through .
Based in Portsmouth .
i've long given up asking her what sort of day she has had .
Walt, I have an oppo who's wife is an Adult for the criminal/wrong doer youngsters, travels all over bloody Hampshire, she looks knackered and well stressed most of the time, so to a degree I know how you feel regards your Daughter, for me its a bloody thankless occupation.

Hi all , we have had our six and five year grandchildren today .,
Took them down to the beach , we had a great day .
I took a football down with us .
Bad move !!!!!
I found out today I can’t play football anymore.
Completely embarrassed by a six year old granddaughter!
Even VAR wouldn’t have helped me .
Jumpers for goalposts and I lost 10-1…… I don’t even remember the goal she swears I scored !
Ive had enough , ive got the petrol …. Lucky we havent got a cat .
the weather was beautiful, lovely breeze . Paddling up to our knees and came home with a million sea shells .

we are sitting in the garden now eating ice cream cornets with chocolate sauce on .
The kids are supposed to be tired ! ….. they are not !!!!!
So now they are dead heading the plants 😁😁😂

funniest thing today was when the six year old , who knows everything about anything , pointed to the phone in the corner of the room and asked what it was , I told her it was our landline …….. she hadn’t a clue what I was talking about .
I explained it was like a mobile but attached to the socket in the wall .
She looked at me and said …. Why ?

She also doesn’t know what ironing is . !

we are getting old !

hope you are all well , look after each other

Sorry Ex, no such thing as full immunity.

My mates. mate in Scotland, aged under 50 and healthy, has just passed away due to Covid. He'd been well and truly double vaccinated.

Sorry to hear that Hod, I did mean in the context of the vaccine efficacy itself, not as a general observation.

It looks like this damn thing will continue for years now one way or another.

It's depressing really and getting harder and harder to shake off this general feeling that life will never return to 'normal'.