Good Morning Thread | Page 111 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

How many coffee shops does one need in their local area? I like a cup of Joe myself on the odd occasion but they're springing up all over the place. Not the kind of place i'll be frequenting at the moment but that's not stopping anybody else. Saw a queue nearly 20 strong standing outside a new one, it was rammed to the rafters.

A friend told me he sat in a convoy for over an hour to place an order at his local McDonalds. Turns out that the car park it's housed in was turned into some sort of makeshift drive through & once in line you couldn't get out lol. Told me he thought they was just parking, The things people will do for their daily fix.

Last edited:
Hope you are right mate, it is their call and apologies if I gave any insult.

We know the family though and they are not country folk and are used to ammenities on their doorstep. It does not however mean they can't adapt, but it will be a lifechanger or breaker in my opinion for them.

If I may, I would point out you are speaking knowledgably but from a viewpoint of young happy holidays there not day to day living in a small place. We all have great fond memories of holidays dont we...may not pan out the same way as living in a remote place.
Yes I see where your coming from and could quite easily be right, but on one hand my Gran n Grandad have gone now, god rest their soles, on the other I have family members living in Norwich, Kings Lynn and Great Yarmouth, all of them swear they would never leave and love their lives, to add 50% of them come from the Smoke and moved there with babies, probably made easy because the other 50% were naturals of Norfolk. But good luck to all.

I think I prefer Suffolk to Norfolk based on my travels. As far as amenities go it is nice to have them all in close proximity to your dwelling and have a feel good factor around the area. I'm not sure a great house in shitsville would compensate.
Nick, want a fight haha.

How many coffee shops does one need in their local area? I like a cup of Joe myself on the odd occasion but they're springing up all over the place. Not the kind of place i'll be frequenting at the moment but that's not stopping anybody else. Saw a queue nearly 20 strong standing outside a new one, it was rammed to the rafters.

A friend told me he sat in a convoy for over an hour to place an order at his local McDonalds. Turns out that the car park it's housed in was turned into some sort of makeshift drive through & once in line you couldn't get out lol. Told me he thought they was just parking, The things people will do for their daily fix.
Great question there Steve, in our dilapidated town centre we have 7 coffee/tea shops, Costa, pay a fortune for, Coffee etc.

Yes I see where your coming from and could quite easily be right, but on one hand my Gran n Grandad have gone now, god rest their soles, on the other I have family members living in Norwich, Kings Lynn and Great Yarmouth, all of them swear they would never leave and love their lives, to add 50% of them come from the Smoke and moved there with babies, probably made easy because the other 50% were naturals of Norfolk. But good luck to all.

They are in large towns / cities mate not isolated ammenity starved villages ... I know kings Lynn (friends) and Norwich (son went to uni there) and these, /or places on their outskirts, would be better IMO.

I think I prefer Suffolk to Norfolk based on my travels. As far as amenities go it is nice to have them all in close proximity to your dwelling and have a feel good factor around the area. I'm not sure a great house in shitsville would compensate.

Thats just my point...still it is their lives/ their call...if they ask us to view any more ...we will infortunately be otherwise engaged!l

Good morning all , weather looks set fine for a while , think I will be cleaning windows today . Either that or painting the rear fence and repairing the gate , which needs adjusting and strengthening . It’s a bit like the bloke who fitted it , old and decrepit... In need of a bit of love and attention , the gate ....... not me . I get plenty of that .
The wooden greenhouse needs rubbing down and repainting , all “this time of year“ jobs.
Harry , it’s nearly time to cut your lavender plants down , when the flower heads start dying off , losing their bright colour , cut the stems down to the main bunch of leaves . They will grow back stronger and you wont get a tal “ leggy “ plant . Next year you can leave them a bit longer above the leaves , and the same the following year . They will grow into a thick bushy plant that way .

Weird situations going on with this local lockdown , families in Manchester areas , is that you H ? , can meet in McDonald's for lunch but not in each other’s houses .
Big push on reducing obesity, then they cut the price of fast foods in half . Creating more queues . ..... I haven’t been involved in a queue for ages . They have all moved up north now . No queues to be seen anywhere down here ,
Don’t get involved in this complacency malarkey . It’s dangerous . Keep alert , don’t let your guard down . It’s lurking around every corner . Waiting to pounce .
I went to our local shop yesterday for a pint of milk , they have a sanitising station just as you walk in , normally it’s empty in there , it was yesterday but I had to wait to get in because an elderly lady , ie , someone older than me , was almost having a bath in the stuff . She wasn’t taking any chances , that’s for sure .,Problem was , that because the sanitation station was at the entrance of the store , nobody could get passed her , either to get in or out . I thought at one time she was going to wash her feet in it as well . She was as clean as a squid , at the end , would have passed muster at any police forensic site . Bless her .
Hope you are all well , hope your wife is better Pompey , hope your loft is good Harry , hope your pond life is thriving , Nick , and every thing is good for you all , 80 busy at work , Ex with his building work , etc , and hope Greavsie has got over the blues . Stay safe
Thanks Walt...the lavenders are still bright at the moment but I’ll watch out for the change and give them the snip as you suggest...

Regarding the Manchester lock down, I’m outside the Greater Manchester boundary so it doesn’t affect me but it doeaffect my lad who lives in Trafford but as we only get together occasionally it won’t make much difference to us and I think he has been avoiding going out other than for work and food shopping anyway.

Played a short game of golf today, a 9 hole handicap qualifier plus a few extra holes....used a new app on my phone which lets you record your scores as you go and then dump it down to the results computer when you have finished..it worked well....unfortunately the new swing only worked occasionally so the score was not good but was beginning to work better after the competition holes were over...so not a total waste...feet up and read this afternoon I think as the weather is not great.

Love this thread; such great random thoughts on occasion.

hari, when did you lose your wife?

Walthy, you make me laugh everyday

In fact the effort here and the fun you inject into it at times just makes me laugh!

Have a good day all, quick trip down to Sussex for me today to check on the progress by the builders there.
Hi EX, my wife died September 30th 2018 but in reality the dementia had taken her away from 2014 onwards when she had to go into a care home, so although it wasn’t a shock it did leave a big gap in my life because I was still seeing her most days of the week and bringing her home or taking her for drives around the countryside so there was still a routine even though she was unable to respond at all.

Ive has a lot of distractions in my life since then, and spent a lot of time in Florida where my brother lives which helped to break up the tedium of living alone, but the virus has taken that outlet away for now so it’s just one day at a time...I’m still luckier than many people and have much to be grateful in the material sense but am still looking for something to fill the void.

Hope your building work is progressing to plan and no nasties have raised their head...stay safe...

Hi EX, my wife died September 30th 2018 but in reality the dementia had taken her away from 2014 onwards when she had to go into a care home, so although it wasn’t a shock it did leave a big gap in my life because I was still seeing her most days of the week and bringing her home or taking her for drives around the countryside so there was still a routine even though she was unable to respond at all.

Ive has a lot of distractions in my life since then, and spent a lot of time in Florida where my brother lives which helped to break up the tedium of living alone, but the virus has taken that outlet away for now so it’s just one day at a time...I’m still luckier than many people and have much to be grateful in the material sense but am still looking for something to fill the void.

Hope your building work is progressing to plan and no nasties have raised their head...stay safe...

I think I am going to go back to Cello lessons. I took them with my kids when they were doing it and I miss it. I might also lerarn to play the bass guitar over the winter.

Morning all. noice here in the east today.

Yesterday we had to venture to Norfolk to look at a house for the young family (son wife and 4 kids) of life long friends of ours who live too far away for initial viewing.

Not happy but we are so much nearer to it than them by a ocountry mile. and so reluctantly diid a full rto check out actual versus sales pics and the area..

So masks at the ready and nice easy drive on back roads to the village about 20 miles south of Norwich, which we enjoyed with sarnies and flask for lunch stop. .

Well we were armed with 40 Q's (not the dangerous queues Walthy!) about the house the area the schools the nightlife (ha ha - not up there mate!) ammenities, and all the other gubbins they would want to know e.g tax band gas or oil energy rating schools blah blah. Not a stone left unturened.

Well as we entered the village it had zilch in it apart from a dubious looking grot pub a convenience store and a chippy. There was an infants school and a closed community centre with a few swings outside...and houses and houses. . That is about it....oh and a bus stop (thats handy - not sure if any buses stopped there!) that was all ...NOT A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION well the turning was the cul de sac with 4 houses with not much kerb appeal or front gardens to speak of and with the heavy brick exteriors reminded me of a concentration camp. Lots of cars and vasns no ambience. and surrounding areas looked rather iffy in places although some streets were nice.

To give you a perspective we are ex east london from working class families by background as you all know by now, yet we got a strong but probably not true (mmm) impression (stereotyping now ha ha) of white van men, farmers, manual workers some static (now) ex travelling folk with run down farm type buildings on the edge of the village not that there was any sign of life anywhere (no it was not nightime it was 1500)...we even failed to spot even one day time zombie scavanging for blood ha ha !.....did we want to go in...no on face value... but we had travelled a long way and they would want the info.,

Kitted and booted and masked we knocked on the door.

Well once over the threshold the house was a 5 bedroom dream which had been fully converted and refurbished and finished superbly - show house standard with all mod cons blah blah ...I cannot describe how great it was for a family and the garden was huge with mature trees (under preservation orders) patios x 2 ..chicken coup hidden at the back field views etc ...a real gem and priced amazingly (worried about this of course...too good to be true came to mind, whats the catch?...the catch is the village it is in IMO!!!).. not often you find the pics on the agents website misleading in terms of overstating things...this was definitely the reverse and did not do the interior justice - they should sack their photographer / scripter pronto. ....

So the dilema is a great superb house to die for a in a village to die in

A house which is great once in it with all the negatives out front.

We felt obliged to write a copious email with all the pros and cons and gleaned information and we decided to advise them based on what we looked for when we moved ourselves and 3 young kids to Scotland years ago and had the choice of a quiet village or outskirts of a town and we chose the latter because we needed schools doctors dentists LIFE etc as the kids grew up, not be a long distance taxi service for taking kids back and forth to clubs activities etc and not wanting our kids to be bused miles to the nearest academy etc ...that was our criteria for the day.

So we were applying our logic zand experience to the viewing.

So we advised stronbgly for them to look at villages with ammenities nearer to a city like Norwich which is a really good place with lots to do and the University of course. Less commuting and taxiing services for the growing klids teenagers / youngsters (or turn onto zombies roaming the deserted village streets getting up to boredom mischief)

An hour later and pages later it was sent to them and then the phone conversations of course..

Outcome is ...they are travelling up today for a viewing as the house is ruling their heads (if they have heads)

How we kept it cool is beyond me but it is after all their decision to make.

Recommendations ignored..looked for pros to offset the negatives .they are going up for a second viewing imminently and I bet they make an offer there and then wiithout survey results for example.

Morale of the story is stay home keep safe dont waste our time, dont put ourselves at unnecassary risk , go to viewing yourselves in future Fcuk off!.

Our life long friends will always remain so but their son .and wife can take a jump into the land of the dead if they went to ha ha and if they go ahead then it wont be long before depression sets in mark my words which is a real shame!

oooeeerr
There has to be a limit Greavsie on how much you spend on a house , given it’s locality . It’s all very well spending a fortune and making it a house to dream of , but if you can never recoup that money , what’s the point .
You did them an amazing favour , I can only imagine how you are feeling now .
I know Norfolk quite well , we almost moved into there when I was very young . My Dad fell in love with the place when we were having holidays for years on the Broads . He was offered a job as a boat builder at Horning . I do not know why we didn’t go . It was his dream . Places like Acle , Wroxham ,Somerleyton , Oulton , Potter Higham , marvellous places , but ......... a far cry from Walthamstow .........For us , moving from Walthamstow to the South Coast was a one way move . I hated it at first and tried to sell up and move back, but at least we were in a busy town like Fareham . Plenty of pubs , clubs , shops and work and lots of money being invested in it . Moving back was a no go . Couldn’t afford it , London prices moved on alarmingly .
This is a big big move , and probably also a one way move , because it won’t be easy to go back if it doesn’t work out for them .
I just hope they think about it and listen to their elders .
You can’t do any more for them mate

They are in large towns / cities mate not isolated ammenity starved villages ... I know kings Lynn (friends) and Norwich (son went to uni there) and these, /or places on their outskirts, would be better IMO.
That's a thumbs up mate, I do love Norfolk for having so many happy memories and that's not just from my childhood/teenage hood times but I served/was stationed there whilst in the Armed Forces, so am probably a bit bias lol!

Love this thread; such great random thoughts on occasion.

hari, when did you lose your wife?

Walthy, you make me laugh everyday

In fact the effort here and the fun you inject into it at times just makes me laugh!

Have a good day all, quick trip down to Sussex for me today to check on the progress by the builders there.

This would be the thread I look forward to reading the most.

This bastard of a virus has brought us together, and opened up our lives to share with our fellow Yids.

I certainly get a laugh each morning before the rest of our crew arrive at work.

Blue skies and a top of 27 degrees in Brisbane today. Would be great to spend this winters day out on the bay.

I went to look for the fishing rods on the weekend, which were not where I left them a few weeks ago. They'd been move outside under the balcony, and whoever moved them managed to snap the top 6' off my new rod! Of course nobody is admitting to it. Couldn't have been the older one.

Hoping you're all safe and well. Have a great Wednesday!

I take my hat off to you Harry. You've definitely been tested and challenged. From where we're standing my friend, you're doing a fantastic job.

Like many on here, you're a far better man than me.

Here I am whinging about losing the tip off my fishing rod FFS.

I take my hat off to you Harry. You've definitely been tested and challenged. From where we're standing my friend, you're doing a fantastic job.

Thanks Hod, but trust me I’m no better than anyone.....We all have our problems and this thread is great that we share them and support each other. Life goes on and it’s what each of us can make of it....let’s hope Jose and Spurs can give us all a lift in these challenging times and also spare a thought for EX who also lost his wife but still finds time in his schedule to come on here and keep us so well informed about a diverse range of topics.

How right you are Hod , to go through what Harry and Ex have gone through brings everything into perspective.
Both have my undying respect for the way they have carried on with life . I’m not sure how they do that . Harry would have lost his wife twice , a friend of ours is going through the same thing with her husband at the moment and it’s awful to witness . At least before the lockdown he had a reminder every week who she was , now she can get in to see him , he hasn’t a clue who she is . That is just beyond awful .
Anyhow , take a tip from me and don’t leave your rods laying about . If you do then don’t carp on about it , it only creates tenchion in the household . Find a secure plaice for them , it’s no good asking whodunnit , eel only deny it . Have a good day mate , stay safe and keep posting . I love the tales from where you are .

How right you are Hod , to go through what Harry and Ex have gone through brings everything into perspective.
Both have my undying respect for the way they have carried on with life . I’m not sure how they do that . Harry would have lost his wife twice , a friend of ours is going through the same thing with her husband at the moment and it’s awful to witness . At least before the lockdown he had a reminder every week who she was , now she can get in to see him , he hasn’t a clue who she is . That is just beyond awful .
Anyhow , take a tip from me and don’t leave your rods laying about . If you do then don’t carp on about it , it only creates tenchion in the household . Find a secure plaice for them , it’s no good asking whodunnit , eel only deny it . Have a good day mate , stay safe and keep posting . I love the tales from where you are .
Did you get Greavsie to write that last paragraph Walt?👻👻

Good morning all , bit dreary this morning , but then so is the weather .
I didn’t do any of the things I thought I would yesterday , how could I be so naive to think those things were important . They were nowhere near as important as peeling about fifty garlic bulbs into their little slice things , like (chocolate orange sections) that could be put into some machine that hides in one of the cupboards in the magic room , and turned into a pure A ! Don’t ask me ! Took me ages to get all that papery stuff off . Whoever thought it was a great idea to grow these things . Life was so much easier when I was busy at work and we bought things from Asda already done .
Then , In my new vocation in life as a soo chef , ...... again , don’t ask me ! ...... , there was a pile of potatoes to peel and a bucket full of gooseberries that needed the tinyest of “root “ pulled out , and then I was told my plums needed washing . Well they would wouldn’t they !
After all that , I was despatched to the shops because we were short of something that I can’t remember , so I gave up on doing blokes stuff and watched the snooker . I just know I will get a bollocking the next time the gate creaks and next doors fence looks better than ours , and when I explain why , I will get another one of those ........ looks !
Stay safe everyone , never underestimate the power of something you can’t see . I found that out yesterday . All those jobs I couldn’t see , were just there waiting for me . Who knew !
Maybe today I will get the gate done , doubt it . Got to go , agendas don’t set themselves you know .